The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I would go back to loving NASA is they drove their Rover all the way to the Chinese one, and repeatedly rammed it.

Instead, they are maximizing diversity

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The Chinese rover is like half a planet away lol

That’s like telling the worlds slowest golf cart to drive from Florida to Korea

Hosix

All labs matter!
It would be ridiculously hilarious if the Ingenuity drone just flew over and dropped a bomb on China's rover and then NASA was like "No, Ingenuity was nowhere near there at the time, it must have been some other drone".

Battlebots on Mars. I am in

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
If you want to see what happens next, probably should watch season 3 of For All Mankind next year. Also, if you aren't watching this on Apple+ you're missing out - thread. Shit's awesome for most space fans,

Anyways, here's Curiosity via HiRISE.

1621614960474.png

1621614982949.png

• 5Like

Cybsled

During the animation section of the proposed mission outline, one thing that caught my eye was the wheels and the system they have in place to what looks like help prevent it from getting stuck in sand? Not sure if Spirit and Opportunity had that, but since this mission looks like it was approximately modeled on them, makes sense they would try to solve for issues that those rovers encountered.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
During the animation section of the proposed mission outline, one thing that caught my eye was the wheels and the system they have in place to what looks like help prevent it from getting stuck in sand? Not sure if Spirit and Opportunity had that, but since this mission looks like it was approximately modeled on them, makes sense they would try to solve for issues that those rovers encountered.

WvyDX.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
They need to put some familiar object on those things for scale. I never have any idea how big they are.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Here's a content creator I've binged on off and on the last couple weeks. Good video on how JWST is different from Hubble and the types of science she's looking forward to.

• 5Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Here's a content creator I've binged on off and on the last couple weeks. Good video on how JWST is different from Hubble and the types of science she's looking forward to.

I'm excited for JWST just because of the science and engineering around it. I'd be curious to know what tangible benefits the JWST is expected to provide, or what Hubble has provided.

Like, yeah I get that we'll be able to add a few decimals of precision to our knowledge of how tall the eagle nebula's space dicks are and we all love deep field, but is the JWST going to help us find asteroids to mine, support a mars/moon mission? Or is this just for building up our astronomy spank bank?

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I'm excited for JWST just because of the science and engineering around it. I'd be curious to know what tangible benefits the JWST is expected to provide, or what Hubble has provided.

Like, yeah I get that we'll be able to add a few decimals of precision to our knowledge of how tall the eagle nebula's space dicks are and we all love deep field, but is the JWST going to help us find asteroids to mine, support a mars/moon mission? Or is this just for building up our astronomy spank bank?
It's another SLS style pork program. At least we'll get some science out of it.

• 1Pants on Fire!

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

I work in aerospace in LA and down the street from the Northrop plant they are building it at. I know some folks there that work with it. They say its the most massive spacecraft they have ever seen and really impressive when you see it in person. They also say the program has been a mess.

• 1Like