The Astronomy Thread

Oldbased

> Than U
Yeah, it's like my cousin at SpaceX. "Good luck finding another MIT MS in EE/CS with a decade experience coding aerodynamic simulation for atmospheric reentry."
The real story here is why he left and others may be following. It isn't just because SpaceX got a contract and doing so well pushing advancement. The inside scoop is Bezos is a dick and that team never had the resources they asked for. IOW Bezos is running Blue Origin like he did Amazon. No dolla dolla pay me

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The fact that they're already resorting to litigation is a big red flag.
SpaceX was no stranger to litigating earlier, when it tried to break into the Security Launches quasi-monopoly of ULA.

The big difference was that they were flight-proven by then. Remind me, how many orbits did Blue Origin achieve yet? They started 2 years before SpaceX, surely they must be ahead?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
SpaceX was no stranger to litigating earlier, when it tried to break into the Security Launches quasi-monopoly of ULA.
Kind of have to, lot of idiotic laws designed to protect ULA. For example old ballistic missile rockets cant be used for commercial purposes iirc.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Good news everyone! Not only do women commit 100% of space crime, they also commit 100% of space sabotage! Ain't diversity great!

Russia Softens Edges In Space Scandal With US | ZeroHedge

The unveiled details indicated that the hole was likely made by the a NASA astronaut Serena Maria Auñón-Chancellor.

• Roscosmos immediately ruled out the version that the damage to the Soyuz-MS-09 was made on the ground. The spacecraft had successfully passed the test in a vacuum chamber before launching. The head of Roscosmos, Dmitry Rogozin, stated that traces of metal dust left from drilling were found in the amenity compartment.
  • According to the traces in Soyuz, the hole was made after 7 failed attempts. It was drilled in zero gravity conditions by someone who was not familiar with the construction of the Soyuz. Thus, the Russian crew were excluded from the list of suspects. Commander of the U.S. crew Andrew Feustel was trained to fulfill the tasks of an engineer before the flight on the Russian spaceship, Richard Arnold was a second flight engineer on the Soyuz. Thus, Serena became the main suspect.
  • Russian news agency TASS reported, referring to a high-ranking official in the Russian space industry, that Auñón-Chancellor suffered a disease that “could provoke an acute psychological crisis,” that in its turn could lead to her attempts to speed up her return on Earth.
She is supposed to have committed the first space sabotage in history.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
space cat GIF

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The real story here is why he left and others may be following. It isn't just because SpaceX got a contract and doing so well pushing advancement. The inside scoop is Bezos is a dick and that team never had the resources they asked for. IOW Bezos is running Blue Origin like he did Amazon. No dolla dolla pay me

My cousin briefly worked at Amazon and was in a meeting with Bezos once. She said he has a rule that no one is allowed to have a cell phone in meetings and during the meeting a guy's phone rang and Bezos' bodyguards tackled him to the ground like he had pulled a switchblade or something. Her impression was that he's a real dick.

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
That makes me guess they've got some propellentless propulsion in the works.

I've always thought scifi books gloss over the details of huge ships. I could see even small tidal forces creating wobbly oscillations in all but he highest of orbits. Like a shipquake.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
huge ships
I don't think huge ships will ever be a thing, at least as we see them in current scifi. Space is really fucking big, and if you want to get anywhere within a century or two the energy required to accelerate large amounts of mass is prohibitive. Unless we upload our minds into computers or something, we're going to focus on mass minimization just to be able to get results in time scales worth thinking about.