The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Yeah dumping resources into a concept thats proven to be the future of spaceflight 30 years ago would have been a totally bad choice over the concept that never made it to the prototype stage.
SSTO was not and is not the future of spaceflight. You are such a retard for abandoned projects.

What is going to work and be _much_ better than DC-X is SS/SH. Partly because it is two stage and not SSTO.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
SSTO was not and is not the future of spaceflight. You are such a retard for abandoned projects.

What is going to work and be _much_ better than DC-X is SS/SH. Partly because it is two stage and not SSTO.
Im not talking about the SSTO concept galaxy brain. The idea/tech of reusing rockets by having them land.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Im not talking about the SSTO concept galaxy brain. The idea/tech of reusing rockets by having them land.
I was always talking about SSTO. I was not criticizing DC-X for being able to land. The problem with it was that it was an SSTO project. Those are a waste of money and time.

Pay attention next time and don't move the goal posts.

• 1Dislike

Oldbased

> Than U
Want a real dose of clown world? NASA had working prototypes of this tech back in the mid 90s;

Of course the illumined galaxy brains that run NASA canceled it in favor of a retarded design that would never fly in any form.
Who do you think SpaceX hired?
Gov wants large spending and waste by the junkyard.
The brightest minds of the past 100 years have always been held back from progress but business is different, progress wins.
So take anything that is almost exclusively gov and make a public sector version of it, hire all the dreamers of the gov and ???? profit.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Who do you think SpaceX hired?
Gov wants large spending and waste by the junkyard.
The brightest minds of the past 100 years have always been held back from progress but business is different, progress wins.
So take anything that is almost exclusively gov and make a public sector version of it, hire all the dreamers of the gov and ???? profit.
It did take off and land vertically, but it was a far cry from being useful as something going to orbit. If it was part of a multistage vehicle it might have had potential, but they were trying for SSTO, which is never going to cheaply get lots of mass to orbit.

They were on the wrong track.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In all seriousness, I honestly cant believe it fucking worked. Who woulda thought NASA had it in them?

• 1Truth!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Friend of mine lives in Florida and watched it "live" from his driveway. Amazing it worked.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
What's so special about this Artemis thing?

• 1Picard

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
What's so special about this Artemis thing?

It's the first time in a while we've had a moonshot rocket, I was really nervous that it would experience an in-flight anamoly but glad it worked out for NASA and its contractors.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
We're getting excited about sending uncrewed capsules to a place where we sent crewed capsules 50 years ago?

NASA just gets gayer and gayer

DISBAND NASA.

• 5Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 5 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
We're getting excited about sending uncrewed capsules to a place where we sent crewed capsules 50 years ago?

NASA just gets gayer and gayer

DISBAND NASA.
Honestly, you pretending you didn't know what Artemis is is gayer by far. Russian shills, I tell ya.

• 1Dislike

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Honestly, you pretending you didn't know what Artemis is is gayer by far. Russian shills, I tell ya.

I pretty much assume everything NASA puts out these days is 50x over budget and 20 years behind the times. I don't pay attention to the specifics

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I pretty much assume everything NASA puts out these days is 50x over budget and 20 years behind the times. I don't pay attention to the specifics
Considering we did it in 1967, Artemis is 55 years behind schedule.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Starship still hasn’t launched yet, so this is still cool to see
Starship hasn't gone to orbit yet, is what you mean.

They did launch it and it went a few miles up and then landed without blowing up some time ago. It was pretty cool, especially for a second stage.

• 1Dislike