The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Fh9ZHk4XgAImZ-m.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Brad2770

Cant understand why the primitives thought Gods and magic existed.
I was thinking that exact thing when I was watching that.
Well, more specifically that they might take that as some sort of passing. The dead being released from their earthly bonds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah that's pretty incredible. Most aurora videos are just of the sky and don't have that added context of someone in the foreground, just makes it all that more incredible knowing it's not a time lapse or something.

Unrelated, here's JWST looking at Titan.

1669923117509.png

Related thread here -

• 6Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I was thinking that exact thing when I was watching that.
Well, more specifically that they might take that as some sort of passing. The dead being released from their earthly bonds.
Between this, exploding mountains of fire, shit falling from the sky in a ball of fire, lightning storms, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes and the ocean sometimes rising up engulfing anything coastal, I am sure it was a confusing time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They revealed the people going on the #dearmoon thing if that ever gets going

Tim Dodd (Everyday Astronaut from Youtube) was one of the picks. Dude has to be psyched beyond belief lol

Im not trying to shit on this but...
We went to the moon sixty years ago with technology and computers that are by all accounts stone age by comparison. From a "lets go to the moon" thing, its probably safer than going to Chicago on a Saturday night. From a cost perspective, yeah this is insane and congratz to all getting to go.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
From a cost perspective, yeah this is insane

Just eyeballing some numbers, it looks like this flight will cost 1/25 of the Apollo program (adjusted for inflation). Of course they're not landing and I don't know how much of SpaceX's sunk engineering costs are included in the alleged $5B price tag, but it's still pretty awesome to see this being more accessible.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is kinda cool. Live stream from Artemis 1 in lunar orbit. Earth coming int9 view in about 16 mins.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users