The Astronomy Thread

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The mass of the black holes always felt odd compared to the galaxy around them. A lot of people tried to model the accretion of such black holes in a galaxy and it never came out good.

This looks more like the formation of solar system, where the sun forms first while the lighter planets form around it...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My brother-in-law just got laid off from JPL because Congress is so deadlocked that they haven't made appropriations for NASA's 2024 budget yet. Lack of guidance is basically shitcanning the entire Mars sample return mission.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
My brother-in-law just got laid off from JPL because Congress is so deadlocked that they haven't made appropriations for NASA's 2024 budget yet. Lack of guidance is basically shitcanning the entire Mars sample return mission.
Read about that today, Sorry about your bro in law. I am falling apart and I want to see people on Moon/Mars before I kick the bucket. Get it done dammit!

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So I've been looking into Wolfram physics, and one of the core concepts is that space and time are discreet, so tiny chunks of both. Update order is semi random and there's a finite number of threads of the universe.

Relativity still works though, so near a rotating event horizon you get space very stretched out and time slowed from an outside observer. This immediately made me think of the variable deltatime problem in videogame physics.

When the update step time of games change, the curvature of game accelerations can vary quite a lot from a pure non discreet curve. As an example, you could stand on the docks in Qeynos in everquest 2 facing the sea, spin your camera towards town and jump, and because of all the texture and normal map loading as it loads up the town, you'd get a huge deltatime causing your jump impulse to be huge. You could jump about 20 or 30 feet this way.

This same problem would affect gravity in wolfram physics near a rapidly spinning event horizon. This might stretch out the curve that is normally distance squared for gravitation if the initial gravitational impulse determines the curvature of the spacetime drag.

Doesn't explain wide binaries though. :emoji_shrug:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Lack of guidance is basically shitcanning the entire Mars sample return mission.
Story of the American space program since the end of Apollo.

Replaced by the abortion known as the shuttle with a key design feature that was never once ever utilized along with be incredibly unsafe
The 1980s saw the failed development of the X-30 to replace the Shuttle
The 1990s saw the failed development of the Venture Star to replace the Shuttle
The 2000s saw the failed development of Constellation program to succeed the Shuttle
The 2010s saw the failed development of the Orion program to succeed the Shuttle
Now in the 2020s we are seeing the shitshow that is SLS/Artemis

All the while near 60 years ago we had a great working rocket that could launch 100 tons into LEO. You really cant put into words how utterly retarded the people in charge of NASA and the politicians associated with it have been. Imagine how America/Humanity would look today if we simply kept usign Saturn Vs for 5 decades.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
What was the key design feature that was never used? The ability to be used rapidly to launch commercial and military satellites?

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
What was the key design feature that was never used? The ability to be used rapidly to launch commercial and military satellites?
I assume he's talking about the rapid recovery of a satellite from orbit - reference mission 3b.

Really good video on it:

I wish i could find it, someone had an excellent long-form critique of NASA and everything post-Apollo. Their biggest complaint was the space stations because the constant servicing missions meant essentially nothing else could be really worked on.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Captain Suave

You really cant put into words how utterly retarded the people in charge of NASA and the politicians associated with it have been. Imagine how America/Humanity would look today if we simply kept usign Saturn Vs for 5 decades.

In this case it's the politicians. They just can't get off their assess enough to tell NASA how much money they do or don't have to work with.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
In this case it's the politicians. They just can't get off their assess enough to tell NASA how much money they do or don't have to work with.
It's always the politicians, it's not that they can't, it's that they want this to happen to stir up people. The agencies that are generally liked such as NASA or the National Parks always are cut first. You never see massive layoffs at the IRS or Homeland Security announced.

I would consider the administration level in NASA to be a politician as well. I'd say there's a very good chance they could have gotten creative with their budget, but the goal was to get a headline that gets people upset, who cares about the people it impacts or how it actually sets things back.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I assume he's talking about the rapid recovery of a satellite from orbit - reference mission 3b.

Really good video on it:

I wish i could find it, someone had an excellent long-form critique of NASA and everything post-Apollo. Their biggest complaint was the space stations because the constant servicing missions meant essentially nothing else could be really worked on.
That's it. But even the general object retrieval capability wasn't really used. I think they brought back 3 or 4 satellites iirc in total.

The Shuttle was just an insanely stupid design. Heavy payload lifter, passenger transport and a object retrievel rolled into one. Constellation was at least smart in that it broke out the heavy lift and passenger roles into different rockets.
When the directors act as yes men supporting whatever corporate welfare project Congress is pushing out the directors are part of the problem.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Very much in agreement. Big Bang Theory and the ever increasing speed of expansion of the universe also seems nonsensical. Something is off here, either the distance estimates or the dating process. Or maybe both.
The big bang theory is the result of a century of mathematicians sniffing their own farts. A whole shitload of stuff makes no sense if you accept the universal truth that red shift = moving away. It's far more logical and simpler to say that light redshifts as it travels immense distances in the universe. It gets rid of the need for dark matter and all sorts of other mumbo jumbo like space expanding, and explains a lot of stuff that the big bang theory just can't account for, like the abundance of lithium.

Sure, it opens up lots of new questions of its own, like how does new hydrogen get created in a now infinite universe, or why would light naturally lose energy as it travels, but I'm okay with not knowing to answers to things like this, rather than not knowing the answer to lots of space magic necessitated by overly complex mathematical calculations that don't even match observable reality.

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Turned out a good use of the shuttle was going and fixing shit in orbit that had been launched.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The big bang theory is the result of a century of mathematicians sniffing their own farts. A whole shitload of stuff makes no sense if you accept the universal truth that red shift = moving away. It's far more logical and simpler to say that light redshifts as it travels immense distances in the universe. It gets rid of the need for dark matter and all sorts of other mumbo jumbo like space expanding, and explains a lot of stuff that the big bang theory just can't account for, like the abundance of lithium.

Sure, it opens up lots of new questions of its own, like how does new hydrogen get created in a now infinite universe, or why would light naturally lose energy as it travels, but I'm okay with not knowing to answers to things like this, rather than not knowing the answer to lots of space magic necessitated by overly complex mathematical calculations that don't even match observable reality.
I watched a vid awhile back that goes over the dozen or so predictions the big bang makes. Over the years I believe it said all of them but one have been falsified. The only thing it gets right is the observed amount of lithium I think.

Captain Suave

You guys don't understand academia at all if you think physicists wouldn't literally murder each other for an opportunity to prove the Standard Model and big bang theory wrong. They'd win all the Nobel prizes for the next century and be immortally famous.

The problem is, warts and all that shit really is the best explanation we have for the data we have. I don't know what you watched, but I can guarantee none of that is "falsified" and whoever produced it either is misrepresenting nuance or just wrong.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I watched a vid awhile back that goes over the dozen or so predictions the big bang makes. Over the years I believe it said all of them but one have been falsified. The only thing it gets right is the observed amount of lithium I think.
I don’t know what predictions you are referring to, but it’s wrong about lithium too.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Finally got around to working on my LEGO Saturn V... it's wild how much goes into this stuff. This is the top of the second stage.

1707440004600.png

My father in law found some newspapers from the Apollo 11 landing, so going to mount it w/ the stages apart on the wall along w/ those newspapers framed.

Otherwise, would be tempted to get the unofficial launch tower from somewhere.

I need to pick up this set:

1707440090321.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Finally got around to working on my LEGO Saturn V... it's wild how much goes into this stuff. This is the top of the second stage.

View attachment 513453

My father in law found some newspapers from the Apollo 11 landing, so going to mount it w/ the stages apart on the wall along w/ those newspapers framed.
The Saturn V was a pretty cool build for the most part, but I found it to be a little repetitive at times (I guess that makes sense based on the structure).

Breaking it apart into stages is pretty cool, I think I'm going to do that with mine. I'm going to use command strips though.

That etsy kit looks a little superior, but if you have a 3d printer available, it appears you can maybe get something similar:

One word of warning: I've had mine sitting in my office windowsill temporarily since I've moved and the parts have already started to discolor from the UV exposure. If you'll be putting it in a room that get some natural light, you might want to install some protective film:

• 1Like