The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

tad10

Elisha Dushku
40th Anniversary of Apollo 17. Last time we set foot on the moon.

Two generations have grown up where men on the mooon was just something they read about in history books.

/mourn.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pops

Mourn?

Bust out the checkbook, 1.5 billion. It's not a must have destination.

My tan would fade.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Nothing on the moon except rocks, bro

fucker_sl

shitlord
this whole voyager thing is fucking amazing. it's not an important step like when we landed on the moon, but dammit....a human construct is finally leaving our little safe bubble in the universe, and it's entering outer space....REALLY outer space

i have no idea what data it will be able to collect...or even IF there is important data to collect....but the simple fact we are about to know "what's out there?" it's fucking emotional

pretty sure this is the only time in the past century we can use the phrase "here be dragons" with its full meaning

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
That one is more of a Voyager 2 sort of thread, if you know what I mean.

p.s. Millie is packin

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Sir Patrick Moore, astronomer and broadcaster, dies aged 89

British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died, aged 89, his friends and colleagues have said.

He "passed away peacefully at 12:25 BST this afternoon" at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.

Sir Patrick presented the BBC programme The Sky At Night for over 50 years, making him the longest-running host of the same television show ever.

He wrote dozens of books on astronomy and his research was used by the US and the Russians in their space programmes.
RIP

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Stuff like this is why i am tired of repeatedly going to Mars all the time.

http://www.voanews.com/content/cassi...n/1563811.html

The river stretches more than 400 kilometers from its 'headwaters' and flows into a large sea.

It is the first time astronomers have seen a river system this large and in such high resolution anywhere beyond Earth, according to the European Space Agency.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Utterly pointless in the grand scheme of things.

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't think a moonbase would be pointless at all. A space elevator is a really neat idea and all, but we don't have the materials to actually build one. We also don't have the social structures in place to maintain or secure one. We do have those things for a moonbase though.

It's not really an argument between best and second best, it's more of a decision between possible and impossible.

If I were writing a book I'd go with space elevator. If I were lobbying Congress I'd go with military moonbase.