The Astronomy Thread

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
6,466
6,465
I watched the roman telescope launch. Anyone notice that one of the boosters didn't land on the pad? Or maybe the camera just froze or something.

They said both landed ok so was just wondering if it was just off camera and landed in the grass or something.
 

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,278
10,970
I watched the roman telescope launch. Anyone notice that one of the boosters didn't land on the pad? Or maybe the camera just froze or something.

They said both landed ok so was just wondering if it was just off camera and landed in the grass or something.
Damn it I forgot it was launching!
 

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
1,150
1,511
I watched the roman telescope launch. Anyone notice that one of the boosters didn't land on the pad? Or maybe the camera just froze or something.

They said both landed ok so was just wondering if it was just off camera and landed in the grass or something.
I watched it yesterday, and both of the side boosters landed safely on their pads.....
 

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
19,074
15,560
Because they are banking on Starship. I can almost guarantee that if for whatever reason, Starship is not rated for human flight by the time 2030 rolls around or the ISS is still flying, SpaceX won't retire Crew Dragon unless NASA decides to stop funding trips.
 

Kajiimagi

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
6,278
10,970
Because they are banking on Starship. I can almost guarantee that if for whatever reason, Starship is not rated for human flight by the time 2030 rolls around or the ISS is still flying, SpaceX won't retire Crew Dragon unless NASA decides to stop funding trips.
Last thing I read was the ISS was supposed to come down in 2030 but of course the NASA path changes hour by hour.
 

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
7,057
5,396
Unfocused first light from Roman.



1789757287824.png
 
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
7,057
5,396
Precursors of primordial soup found on Mars.


Among the newly identified molecules is a nitrogen heterocycle, a ring of carbon atoms that includes nitrogen. This kind of molecular structure is considered a predecessor to RNA and DNA, two nucleic acids that are key to genetic information.​
​
“That detection is pretty profound because these structures can be chemical precursors to more complex nitrogen-bearing molecules,” said the paper’s lead author, Amy Williams of the University of Florida in Gainesville. “Nitrogen heterorcycles have never been found before on the Martian surface or confirmed in Martian meteorites.”​
​
Another exciting discovery was benzothiophene, a carbon- and sulfur-bearing molecule that’s been found in many meteorites. These meteorites, along with the organic molecules within them, are thought by some scientists to have seeded prebiotic chemistry across the early solar system.​
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users