The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I liked 9 and 10. I think I played blitz ball as much as the actual game.
I got lucky as fuck in Blitzball. Early on, one of the top forwards didn't resign with his team and I picked him up. It was easy mode for the entire game, that guy could score at will.

I've played 1-12 (minus 11), and I finished 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 10 & 12. I finished 1, 4, 6 and 7 multiple times. Not sure which is my favorite.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Final Fantasy XIII-2 is one one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. It's a huuuuge step up from FFXIII and I highly recommend anyone who skipped it this year after being turned off by FFXIII to go and give it a shot, it's definitely worth playing and a solid game.
yeah, this is what I have heard as well.
Have not tried either though.

I also think 12 was pretty decent really too. (granted never finished it..)

As I said, I really feel credentials needs to come into play, due to rose colored as noted. I've notice the vast majority of 7 defenders, it was their first rpg.
For me, it wasn't. Not even close. I'm 35 now. I did not play ultima's on PC at the time admittedly. Dragon warrior was my first prototypical jrpg. (aka a few text adventures, and roguelikes on the PC prior. but I don't think they count for this discussion directly) so won't include wizardy, shadowgates, etc. But pretty much you name it, played it.

So, personally, I had played Dragonwarrior 1-4. FF 1, 4,6, and emulated 5 and 3, startropics, crysalis, phantasy star 1-3, shining in the darkness 1-3, NES versions of Ultima, exodus, avatar,etc.
Huge rpg fan. I played shit you probably never heard of. ghost lion, faria, etc. Snes lufia series, secret of manas, chronotrigger of course, mario rpg, earthbound , illusion of gaias series, breath of fire series, evo, y's, uncharted, 7th saga, romancing sages, etc.

Seriously, it would be harder to find an RPG thats been released or fan translated to english that I have not played.

Also, now I want to go play some of those again...
Wonder if crysalis is on the nintendo store..

fucker_sl

shitlord
Well why not go full retard?

Star Trek vs. Star Wars vs. Warhammer
Star Trek is not even in the competition. Like a fleet of enterprises is required to bring down even one Star Destroyer or an Imperium frigate

i don't know Star Wars specs, but they are not that far behind 40k. And SW's FTL technology is much more reliable than Warptravel, So....dunno

and about Final Fantasy...sorry but Tifa's tits > all

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Personally I prefer the games that had innate strengths to each character and not each character can be anything
Enob_sl said:
but 6 is easily my favorite
Says he prefers games where each character is different, says his favorite final fantasy was the first one where every character was the same.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Says he prefers games where each character is different, says his favorite final fantasy was the first one where every character was the same.
Not sure if serious, 3 & 5 used the profession system where every character could do the same stuff.

Caliane

That annoyed me about 12. its one of the things that kindof pissed me off about it.
12 advertised a free form class system, a return to the old style.
But it was a lie. The grid system suggested it was possible. But if you started building down the wrong path you gimped yourself.
I made that mistake with Fran at first. When you first get her, in the mine, I was like, man my party could use a mage. So, I started building her down that way, having her learn spells. But later, when I got Ashe, I noticed something. Ashe was WAY stronger with the same spells. why? Because Ashe has higher base int.

so they made this grid system that lets you build characters as you want. But only have 1 valid path. Fran is an archer. her best weapon is a bow, and her stats enforce this. This is a conflicting design.

It should be noted this is one of the wrpg vs jrpg traits really. The terminology is a bit weird of course. Jrpg is really a style, theme. not really a genre, and certainly not region locked.
Dragon warriors are known for having raw classes for the most part. the main character often gets "hero", while everyone else is completely player created. (older ones anyway) 8 was for example a more traditional jrpg with specific characters.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, the massive FF12 thread went into the nitty gritty on why Penelo/Vaan/Ashe were just simply better characters at endgame than the rest. It was open form for the majority of the game, but when you started hitting the higher level hunts (anything 45+) and especially around 70 (Gilgamesh et al) the other three guys taper off fairly fast. Hell, I definitely remember Basch being mediocre from the get go since his slightly higher defensive shit didn't really matter from the moment you get him. I definitely remember using Baltheir and Ashe for the majority of the story portions of the game, but switched to Vaan/Ashe/Penelo when work needed doing. Hell, the primary things you needed on characters were just the Mist deals for 90% of the game. Going super sayajin for 15 hits of AE rape trivialized most content. Anyway...

I liked FF12 mechanically and artistically, the story was pretty meh. FF13 for the same reasons. In order, 6/9 > 4 > 10 > 12/13 > 7. 8 sucked donkey balls. The first couple of games are good for the time but hilarious to play through nowadays. The fact I sat through the mindnumbingly slow combat in FF1 without the aid of speedup via emulation is more a testament to youth than it is to being a great game. Haven't played through 13-2 yet since I don't own any consoles for some reason. Will rectify when I get one.

Caliane

yeah. you want a laugh. go play dragon warrior 1.

HOLY shit that menu combat.
It almost boggles the mind, we ate that up. It is pretty much unplayable by modern standards.

Especially when we look at Legend of zelda. which really to this day holds up in gameplay.
Even metroid. the orginal really is painful, after playing zero mission, super metroid etc.

Szlia

yeah. you want a laugh. go play dragon warrior 1.

HOLY shit that menu combat.
It almost boggles the mind, we ate that up. It is pretty much unplayable by modern standards.

Especially when we look at Legend of zelda. which really to this day holds up in gameplay.
Even metroid. the orginal really is painful, after playing zero mission, super metroid etc.
I played DQ1 for the first time something like four or five years ago. It was enjoyable and you could already see the ability of Y?ji Horii to summon a lot of fiction with very little. It should be said though that my enjoyment was certainly boosted by playing it on an emulator at 400% speed and with a liberal use of save state.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't play 12 or 13 but it's clear everyone's favorite has the rose goggles for their true entry into the series.
This has been repeated numerous times, and it seems disingenuous to me and just a means to dismiss alternate opinions. The first FF I played was 2 and I progressed from there.

If pressed, I'm not sure if I would be able to identify why I would rank 7 over 6. It's a near tie imo, with 7 just barely winning out. Perhaps it was the steam punk sci-fi setting vs the typical fantasy or the jump in graphics. They're both classics for me and I get twinges of nostalgia whenever I hear any of their soundtracks.

But again, if Chrono Trigger was allowed to be ranked with the FF series it takes first place easy, no question.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure if serious, 3 & 5 used the profession system where every character could do the same stuff.
Right because clearly everyone on the board played those before their PS1 releases. Oh wait thats right, FF3 never even came out on PS1, it wasn't available in America until the DS release in November of 2006. Piss off hipster.

Caliane

Roms.

I can't say I remember exactly when. I see a FF3 rom 1999, and a FF5 1998. FF7 was in 97, so the translations might have been after.
Although, its also possible there were previous translations done prior, and newer ones done after.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager....=0&cId=3180292
This 1up says the first FF 5 translation was in 1997.

If you are an rpg enthusiast, and have not played any fan translated games. man...
A number have since been officially done of course. but back in the day. FF3, 5. Dragonwarriors 5 and 6. Secret of mana series, Mother

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I never said fan translations didn't exist, but people who track those down to play them are definitely the exception, not the rule. I'm willing to bet the majority of the Square fans on this forum have never played Seiken Densetsu 3, despite it being a fantastic game that gets recommended every single time someone starts a 'list good old RPG games' thread.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Let's get something straight here. FF3 is FF3, not FF6. There are real releases of the NES FF3 and there have been since2006. FF6 has been released properly as FF6 in the US since1999on the PS1 and that is it's proper name. We will not be calling FF6 FF3, not when it's properly been released as FF6 in the States for14 yearsand there's been a release of FF3 for almost7 years.

Just sayin'. I know no one's done it, yet, but someone fucking will.

Sean_sl

shitlord
FF6 characters are all the same, Haast. They can all use the same weapons and you can build them all the same with Espers. Espers is basically the pseudo-job system in FF6 and the characters are only different due to their single special skill. It's just like the FF7 system and Materia, every character is the same sans limit breaks.

FF1 - Pick a unique class at the beginning
FF2 - No one can be assed to explain this horrible system
FF3 - Job system
FF4 - Unique Characters
FF5 - Job system
FF6 - Esper system + 1 special skill
FF7 - Materia system + unique limit breaks
FF8 - Junction system + unique limit breaks
FF9 - Unique Characters
FF10 - Sphere Grid + unique limit breaks
FF10-2 - Job system
FF12 - License board and screw you if you didn't use Ashe/Penelo/Vaan
FF13 - Crystarium system
FF13-2 - Crystarium system + monster party member

Basically the only games in the series with characters that you couldn't all build to be basically identical were 4, 9, and to an extent 1.