The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Lets see, FF4 was the first final fantasy I played. I had a friend that owned the game but had never beaten it. He had gotten a few hours in when the cartridge lost it's memory, console got kicked or something, and hadn't picked it back up. His birthday rolls around and he was having a big party at his house that lasted all weekend. This was back in... 4th or 5th grade mind you. We get to talking about video games and FF4 comes up and he mentions that he's never beaten it. Another one of his friends is like, "duude it's so awesome, here I'll show you".

We proceed to start a brand new game and just took turns playing. Everyone he invited to the party was hanging out in the living room just watching and reading. We end up setting camp there and just sat in front of this huge console television that weighed more than a smart car for the next two days. His parents were awesome and kept bringing in snacks and there were like 8 people all just following along. His friend had already beaten the game and so was there to basically give us directions an hints. But everyone was pretty much along for the story anyways.

It was cool, people were just joking and talking about what was going to happen. When Palom and Porom got turned to stone, people were legitimately sad. When Rydia disappeared into the maelstrom everyone was like, oh crap! When Cecil became a paladin I was irritated because I thought he looked cooler as a dark knight. And finally when Golbez comes in at the end and actually helps save the world, people were like "it's like star wars." "Yay for Darth Golbez". So yeah that will always be my favorite because nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I have played the rest except for 10, 11, 13 and 14. I was intrigued by 13 versus, and would still like to play it whenever it comes out. But at this point I have stopped holding my breath.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah FF4 and FF6 did have some striking resemblances to bits of Star Wars, but that's probably mainly due to Star Wars being nothing but fantasy cliches.

I liked Gogo. S/he could one shot Kekfa.

Yeah, except you had to break the fuck out of the game to get possess on Gogo. Doesn't it involve playing all the way through to the floating continent without saving, and then dying, so it kicks you back to Narshe but you still have the airship?

Zulst_sl

shitlord
Yeah, except you had to break the fuck out of the game to get possess on Gogo. Doesn't it involve playing all the way through to the floating continent without saving, and then dying, so it kicks you back to Narshe but you still have the airship?
Yeah. After reading that let's play of the guy who did it, I gave it a try and it was a lot of tedious bullshit. Would not recommend.

Caliane

Tons of ways to break the game.

Gogo was in ff5 btw. so, all those attempts to try creating an identity in FF6 are silly.

The 8 hit genji glove/offering swords were atma and Ragnarok/illumina

Also, considering gear was not universal, only spells and espers were, I would put FF6 back into the having set classes department. you had some leeway of course.

But the atma/rag thing for example, Celes, locke, terra or edgar only.
Celes was my favorite.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tons of ways to break the game.

Gogo was in ff5 btw. so, all those attempts to try creating an identity in FF6 are silly.

The 8 hit genji glove/offering swords were atma and Ragnarok/illumina

Also, considering gear was not universal, only spells and espers were, I would put FF6 back into the having set classes department. you had some leeway of course.

But the atma/rag thing for example, Celes, locke, terra or edgar only.
Celes was my favorite.
Except Ragnarok/Illumina had its damage cut just like everything else when you equip the Master's Scroll, and the consume MP for an autocrit is disabled, and I'm pretty sure they can't even proc Flare or Holy. Valiant Knife works the same way as Atma, except its supposed to be when Locke's HPs are low that it's damage increases. The thing is, when you have his Strength and level high enough, Valiant Knife quad 9s even when he's at full hps, and just like Atma, will still rock full quads even with a Master's Scroll.

Ragnarok/Illumina is best used as a stat sword on someone like Celes or Terra.

Proc_sl

shitlord
FFTactics had significant grinding, but i ate that shit up. Power break.. chakra.. power break.. chakra... story was 10/10. characters 10/10. beaten it several times.

it broke my heart to learn they made a kiddie story for the sequel (advance). kids are in a snowball fight and it goes from there? just couldn't get into it. it broke my FFTactics fanboy heart.

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Best friend had a subscription to Nintendo Power back in the day, and we saw the info for Final Fantasy 1 and both geeked out over it. Bought it on release day and played it a ton, making different parties and all that good stuff. Still easily in my top 10 games of all time. Just such a fun game. Sure it doesn't age quite as well as some other games of the time, but I can still enjoy a replay here and there, trying a different combo or whatnot.

Other favorites were 4 and 5. 7 was great, loved that it was released on PC as I didn't have a PS, but I didn't get into it as much as I did 4 and 5 (or 1). I'm quite certain I'll now get flamed to hell and back.

Haven't played much of the games after 7. Played a bit of 8, maybe an hour or so of 10 and 13.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Best game in series.

Seriously though, that game was the one in the series that pissed me off the most. I never could finish 9 or 10 and haven't tried any of the newer ones.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
FFTactics had significant grinding, but i ate that shit up. Power break.. chakra.. power break.. chakra... story was 10/10. characters 10/10. beaten it several times.

it broke my heart to learn they made a kiddie story for the sequel (advance). kids are in a snowball fight and it goes from there? just couldn't get into it. it broke my FFTactics fanboy heart.
I never played the PlayStation or GBA versions, but I seriously loved FFTactics A2 on the DS. That easily had to be one of the DS games I spent the most time with.

Proc_sl

shitlord
I never played the PlayStation or GBA versions, but I seriously loved FFTactics A2 on the DS. That easily had to be one of the DS games I spent the most time with.
so I found the rom... I've associated Advance (1 and 2) with kiddie stupidity... but

I'll give this one a shot.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Except Ragnarok/Illumina had its damage cut just like everything else when you equip the Master's Scroll, and the consume MP for an autocrit is disabled, and I'm pretty sure they can't even proc Flare or Holy. Valiant Knife works the same way as Atma, except its supposed to be when Locke's HPs are low that it's damage increases. The thing is, when you have his Strength and level high enough, Valiant Knife quad 9s even when he's at full hps, and just like Atma, will still rock full quads even with a Master's Scroll.

Ragnarok/Illumina is best used as a stat sword on someone like Celes or Terra.
What the fuck is a Master's Scroll?

Heartbrand_sl

shitlord
I really don't get how SquareEnix or w/e the fuck they're called now know that we all love FF7 (well most of us), know we really dislike the new trend in their FF's, but yet keep shoving the same shit down our throats. Is George Lucas involved somehow?

scal_sl

shitlord
I never said fan translations didn't exist, but people who track those down to play them are definitely the exception, not the rule. I'm willing to bet the majority of the Square fans on this forum have never played Seiken Densetsu 3, despite it being a fantastic game that gets recommended every single time someone starts a 'list good old RPG games' thread.
SD3 is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite RPG on the SNES (#1 being Lufia2). SD3 is a really flawed, but it is shit loads of fun and the re-playability is high. I'm a sucker for customization. However, the combat system is broke, Job changes happen wayy too late, and they all but removed the random drops of Secret of Mana (one of the best parts!).

The combat system rewards you for never using offensive magic or any attack beyond the basic attack and level 1 power-up. Enemies are set to use their abilities as a counter to any magic or level 2+ attack thrown their way. So you can avoid any deadly mob attack by simply not using your stronger (well, higher level) abilities or magic.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I really don't get how SquareEnix or w/e the fuck they're called now know that we all love FF7 (well most of us), know we really dislike the new trend in their FF's, but yet keep shoving the same shit down our throats. Is George Lucas involved somehow?
I think you left out some words and punctuation there.

Short version: This is happening because a lot of the core of the old Final Fantasy creators left Square-Enix after Final Fantasy X (which was a great game) and started their own studio called Mistwalker:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistwalker

They went on to make two X360 games: Blue Dragon (which was fairly good) and Lost Odyssey (which was fantastic). They also made some forgettable DS games and their latest product was a so-so Wii game called Last Story that barely made it over to the states (and it was a terrible mistake to make it on the Wii). I truly hope they come back to making Xbox/PlayStation RPGs, because they did some great work there.

I do think that their leaving has had an impact on the studio. It feels like since they left that Square has been way too focused on Handheld games and not enough on big console RPG experiences. There's no Kingdom Hearts 3 in sight, Tetsuya Normua is taking WAY too long to put out FFVs13 (which better be fucking amazing, but his work usually is), and Square's best game since they left is Final Fantasy XIII-2 and that wasn't even actually fully developed by Square, it was co-developed with tri-Ace.

Hopefully the conclusion to the FFXIII trilogy,Lightning Returns, turns out at least as good as FFXIII-2 did. I'm a little shaky about this one though, because it sounds like it takes heavily from Majora's Mask's time-system and it's hard to make something like that work right and be truly enjoyable.