The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Okay, thats a good excuse, but I'd hope 7 wouldn't take a full crew, and I'd think it would have more sales potential. Plus it's what I'd rather have damn it!
A remade FFVII would kill off the FF franchise, because Squareknowthat they can't make games of that calibre that any more. Reminder: the last good FF was FFIX, and that was only allowed because the old dream team behind FFIV/VI/VII made it as a love-letter/farewell to the fans.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The last good FF was XIII-2.

And unlikely on the PS4 version, except through their Gaikai service.

nuday

Golden Squire
I didn't even like Xthatmuch, but I'm going to buy the remastered version in hopes that it will encourage more of the same thing with other games. I don't care if people say that this shows "lack of originality".. I love these games.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I highly doubt a 7 remake would kill the franchise. There is clearly a large enough player base that supports the 10+ style as well as the mmo's, or they wouldn't be making them. So at the very least it would be something for the old guard fans as well as people who like both styles. In my opinion a 4, 6, and 7 remake are all licenses to print money. Hell, I'd buy a ps3/4 just for them.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm sad it's only for the ps3 but I suppose it makes sense. At this point the only reason for me to ever buy a PS3 is if FF7HD came out on it lol.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Final Fantasy XIII-2 is one one of the best RPGs I've played in a long time. It's a huuuuge step up from FFXIII and I highly recommend anyone who skipped it this year after being turned off by FFXIII to go and give it a shot, it's definitely worth playing and a solid game.
Just the fucking fact of the title deters my interest. XIII-2? Really, seriously? Are you going to make an XIII-2-2? Then we could get an XIII-2-2-2 Fuck yourselves "Square Enix" (also, give Enix back).

That being said, every Final Fantasy that has come out since the Super Nintendo is garbage. I'm referring to the RPG line, so Final Fantasy Tactics doesn't count.
Thread basically over in the first post.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thread basically over in the first post.
...for people blinded by nostalgia for games that weren't even that great in 199_, sure. I have I-VI on my phone and the only one I could stand to replay again today is V.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Indeed. I'm a nostalgia freak as much as anyone (have all the roms/emulators) but I never understood all the rage for 7 & 9 (I never played 8 and I'm not gonna open that can of worms anyway :p) They were still great games in their own right.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
i gotta say that, after playing seven, I can clearly see it's lure....it was a very playful game...despite the heavy undertone & themes (Golden Saucer, bunch of NPCs doing silly shit in the background, going to dates for lulz and shit, hilarious side missions - Yuffie). Unusual in today's FF games, which takes itself too fucking seriously....

Dumar_sl

shitlord
...for people blinded by nostalgia for games that weren't even that great in 199_, sure. I have I-VI on my phone and the only one I could stand to replay again today is V.
No, people blinded by analysis. Replay value means squat. VI will always be the best of all time, with IV,V and CT and some of the DQ's mixed in as seconds to top 5. I grew up way before then, starting playing almost every CRPG and JRPG from the 80's onward, nothing to do with nostalgia.

VII was decent. From VIII it got absolutely fucking terrible and never let up. I still don't know what the fuck IX was, and especially after that, it just became a cash grab, unless you're looking forward to FFXIII-2-2 Sidestory Chronicles of the Mystic Quest Advance Anniversary Edition.

joz123

Potato del Grande
No, people blinded by analysis. Replay value means squat. VI will always be the best of all time, with IV,V and CT and some of the DQ's mixed in as seconds to top 5. I grew up way before then, starting playing almost every CRPG and JRPG from the 80's onward, nothing to do with nostalgia.

VII was decent. From VIII it got absolutely fucking terrible and never let up. I still don't know what the fuck IX was, and especially after that, it just became a cash grab, unless you're looking forward to FFXIII-2-2 Sidestory Chronicles of the Mystic Quest Advance Anniversary Edition.
Maybe you should actually play XIII-2 before bashing it? It was a great game but too many people automatically compared it to XIII before actually giving it a chance.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think he's talking about XIII "3" Lightning Returns or whatever. They do have a tendency of doing -2s now and while they're pretty good in general(X2 had the awful jpop thing mixed in but otherwise had very cool combat and XIII2 is supposedly very good even though I haven't played it), usually before they would either have rolled it into the main game, or started working on the next game. I guess different studios and different game cycles with more people means it is more possible now than it was in the past, but I think most people would rather have good main branch FF than good spin offs of shitty FFs. Not that not making the spin offs would magically make them make good FFs though, so mostly moot point.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I know it will never happen, but I always wanted to see a final fantasy that incorporated the worlds or areas from previous games. I know Cloud makes a cameo in final fantasy tactics as a secret character. And I believe all of the iconic swords from the series show up on an optional boss in FFXII. But these are just Easter eggs type things and not actual story links.

Would be interesting to see how all of the worlds relate to each other. Are they in the same galaxy/universe or are they alternate realities of the same world? Would also be interesting to see the summon creatures in their native realms, or acting as a sort of pantheon that rallies against the dark force that always seems to try and unmake whatever world it's attacking. Maybe even visit some worlds or realities where the heroes don't succeed; See what happens when darkness wins.

They will never do it because it will demystify the series too much. Maybe some day when they finally decide to do Final Fantasy: End of Time, they might break out a comprehensive story line. I dunno, it would be nice to get a hint about the forces behind this conflict that seems to rage across time and space.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
I know it will never happen, but I always wanted to see a final fantasy that incorporated the worlds or areas from previous games.
They've done this, but unfortunately with Dissidia and its prequel. The story basically is that Garland from FF1, who became Chaos, was fucking shit up in some dimension/planet and was opposed by some chick named Cosmos. Chaos pulled in villains (Kefka, Sephiroth, Golbez, etc) and Cosmos pulls in heroes (Cecil, Terra, Tidus, etc). Had it been an actual RPG, it could have had potential, but it was some sort of fighting/action game hybrid with RPG elements that didn't really work out.

Anyway, FFX and X-2 are fucking great. I'll definitely be using Japanese VA though, as Yuna (and to Tidus to a lesser extent) are hard to fucking handle with their English VA.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
They've done this, but unfortunately with Dissidia and its prequel. The story basically is that Garland from FF1, who became Chaos, was fucking shit up in some dimension/planet and was opposed by some chick named Cosmos. Chaos pulled in villains (Kefka, Sephiroth, Golbez, etc) and Cosmos pulls in heroes (Cecil, Terra, Tidus, etc). Had it been an actual RPG, it could have had potential, but it was some sort of fighting/action game hybrid with RPG elements that didn't really work out.

Anyway, FFX and X-2 are fucking great. I'll definitely be using Japanese VA though, as Yuna (and to Tidus to a lesser extent) are hard to fucking handle with their English VA.
FF All-Stars the RPG would be dope. Even a Tactics type game like that would be better than Dissidia.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
VII was decent. From VIII it got absolutely fucking terrible and never let up. I still don't know what the fuck IX was
As per my previous post, IX was one last 16-bit-style FF game (in 32-bit 3D) done for the old-school FF fans before Square gave up on making fun games and turned into frustrated film-makers designing 'games' where you ran down corridors while the game played itself. Seriously, go replay it and every time you see something that looks a bit weird, it's almost certainly a direct reference to something from FFI through VII.

It's also the bleakest ofallof the Final Fantasies (which is partially hidden by having the main protagonist be a happy-go-lucky adventurer rather than a whiny emo brat and mostly by the graphical style) - Golbez ruined lives and killed a bunch of people, Kefka unleased an apocalypse and came within a whisker of ending the worse, Sephiroth(/Jenova) had to be stopped by a bona fide miracle but Kujadidentirely destroy a planet (and everyone on it), damn near committed genocide on one race on the other planet, killed most of the populations of every city you ever visited and then at the end essentially summoned The Death Of The FF Multiverse to wipeeverythingfrom existence. If the FFIX story has been done in the more 'modern' styles of FF games, everyone would wonder if the dev team needed to be put on suicide watch.

And theystillmanaged to give it an awesome (and happy) ending.

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
VGLeaks seems to be borked at the moment, but from Magic Box:

RUMOR: VGLeaks reported that Square Enix's Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster will have possible download content, which can upgrade the regular version to International Versions with additional features and content for a small charge.

Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD Remaster Retail Disc - $39.99
Final Fantasy X HD International Additions - $4.99
Final Fantasy X-2 HD International Additions - $4.99
Final Fantasy X-2 HD Last Mission - $2.99
If there's any truth to it, the only thing I can say is... Square, you fucking twats.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The FF4 Afteryears series tied some of the lore from the early games together, but I doubt that will ever be done again in an RPG format. I think the games have aged pretty descently, as far as story and music. This is an interesting topic to read because I spent the better part of the last year and a half replaying the entire series in sequence and 13 was the only one I could not stand to replay.

Its about the time of 7 where the lead writer got all weird that shit started comming off the rails, in my view. All of them, even the best, had certain flaws, but 13 is where it got completely unplayable for me. There was literally nothing redeeming about 13 and it had lesbians in it. Underage asian lesbians. How bad do you have to be to fuck up that? Its a shame that 12 never caught on, because the battle system was actually really fun and it felt almost like playing your own MMO.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
People can neg me all they want, if it prevents someone from blowing their money and giving it to square for that travesty my job is done. FF XIII-2 sucked, I don't know why there are a few ppl here who are hard up for it. The last time I mentioned it and gave reasons why it is even worse then XIII I basically got told "nuh uh" and I didn't know how to play the game because the game is designed so poorly you can make choices that'll gimp your character, but you don't find out until its too late.

Going back and thinking about it, I agree with the likes of gavinrad/dumar; I'll go as far and say VII was also a very good game, but thereafter they have all been pretty garbage in comparison to their predecessors. I bought a ps3 for the sole purpose of playing xiii and I've been so let down by xiii and even more so by xiii-2 that unless I hear everywhere I go that a new one is puking rainbows good, I have given up on the franchise.