The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
13-2 will be ass-weird if you didn't play 13. It will be like you're playing some game on acid.

Also, 13-2 has some really low FPS - like 20-30 max in a lot of spots. It makes the game look shitty. I mean everything looks great by itself, but once it starts moving it sucks. Additionally, the travel system is pretty shitty, and only rivaled by 13 as being the worst. Only reason 13 is in there is because it doesn't exist in 13.

Honestly I thought 13 was a better story (LOLOL), but 13-2 had much better mechanics. I wouldn't really recommend either to anyone though, and FF is my favorite series.

If you want a true FF experience you can't beat 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. FF6 is my favorite of all time.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, I don't really see 13-2 making any sense whatsoever if you didn't play 13. There are some parts of 13-2's story that require you to know what happened in 13, or the immersion (oh god, there's that word again) isn't there.

Kinda makes me wonder how many of 13-2's reviewers actually played 13 all the way through.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I don't really see 13-2 making any sense whatsoever if you didn't play 13. There are some parts of 13-2's story that require you to know what happened in 13, or the immersion (oh god, there's that word again) isn't there.

Kinda makes me wonder how many of 13-2's reviewers actually played 13 all the way through.
Well, he could read 13's story and shit, but yeah it'd be better if it was played through. It's not a total abomination of a game, it's just not really what people were expecting and way too linear. The combat is pretty decent.

Plus it's probably like 10 bucks or something.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
XIII was a good game with a really bad ending. The linearity didn't really detract from the game at all, and the only real downside besides the ending was the ridiculously long "tutorial" section. XIII's battle system was designed around having 3 party members, but it takes 20+ hours for that to actually happen.

XIII-2 was a great game that improved upon XIII in every way possible. The cliffhanger ending may turn out to be good or bad depending on what they do in Lightning Returns.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think the battle system is shit though. No one wants to play "Auto-battle", switching roles is pretty shitty too. Sorry, just really disliked the way it played.

Sean_sl

shitlord
XIII was a good game with a really bad ending. The linearity didn't really detract from the game at all, and the only real downside besides the ending was the ridiculously long "tutorial" section. XIII's battle system was designed around having 3 party members, but it takes 20+ hours for that to actually happen.

XIII-2 was a great game that improved upon XIII in every way possible. The cliffhanger ending may turn out to be good or bad depending on what they do in Lightning Returns.
Well, a lot of people didn't like the super mega long hallway feeling in XIII. It didn't bother me a whole lot personally.

XIII-2 definitely was better in every possible way, it's one of my favorite FFs. Really hope Lightning Returns doesn't suck.

Also: Started up FF3 on my PSP. Proceeded to get the second party member, Arc. Proceeded to the cave in the back of the town despite being told to go outside and find the airship... Proceeded to get one shot and I hadn't saved yet.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The worst Final Fantasy I played was something like "Final Fantasy Adventure" for the original Game Boy. It was horrible, and I'm pretty sure I got stuck in an area because I ran out of mattocks and couldn't break the rocks to move further, but there wasn't any place to buy more that I could get to.

Vorph

I'd put XIII's battle system third in the series behind the ones used in XII and X-2. Which admittedly isn't saying a whole lot because I think most of the ATB variants are ungodly tedious, but I really did enjoy the battles in XIII/XIII-2. Auto-battle removes the tedium from trivial fights, and paradigm shifting has enough depth to make the challenging ones interesting.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just don't care about the single player FF games anymore, to me they are aesthetically empty. It's the same emo-faced characters with completely ridiculous stories. 9 was the last time they at least tried to do something different with the art direction, but even that game ran out of steam about half way through. The last time I was excited about a FF game was the PSP remake of 4.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
There any portable versions of the 6+ FF series not on PSP? Preferably iOS but Android works too.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I just don't care about the single player FF games anymore, to me they are aesthetically empty. It's the same emo-faced characters with completely ridiculous stories. 9 was the last time they at least tried to do something different with the art direction, but even that game ran out of steam about half way through. The last time I was excited about a FF game was the PSP remake of 4.
I liked X even though it got a rotten rap from a lot of "hardcore" FFers. I guess Tidus was too unlikeable as a main protagonist or something?

Vorph

There any portable versions of the 6+ FF series not on PSP? Preferably iOS but Android works too.
Just via emulation. I have VI (SNES = best) and IX on Android now. VII and VIII supposedly work fine on FPse too, but I have zero interest in playing either of those ever again and haven't tried them personally. The biggest limitation of playing games like that on phones is the lack of proper controls, which thankfully my Xperia Play solves nicely.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is FF III for Android worth the price tag attached to it? Sorry if it was discussed already.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I liked X even though it got a rotten rap from a lot of "hardcore" FFers. I guess Tidus was too unlikeable as a main protagonist or something?
The voice acting pretty much made FFX unappealing for me. Some of it was decent (Auron for instance), some of it was horrid (Tidus for the most part). Even FFX-2 had better VO. If not for the story being good, I would have put the game down partway through and never finished it. Even then, I'm still horrified by:

Tidus: Dad?
Jecht: Yeah?
Tidus: ... Ihateyou!

Fucking horrible. Honestly.

(Granted, this is partly because it's eng dub. I've played part of FFX in Japanese with subs, and it's a hell of a lot better that way, IMO.)

Siliconemelons

I believe there are iOS versions of the early PSP remakes of the early FF games, 1 and 2, and I think 4 made it on there also as a port. But a nice emulator with a good working control skin and roms will do you just as well.

I am just an "old man" gamer, I hate getting to much of a system- as I play RPG's for their story and atmosphere with combat etc being secondary so ehh- it needs to be solid and nice and works well. I loved Lunar and Wild Arms and X and below FF games- 12? was it..felt like I was playing a MMO by myself..

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Is FF III for Android worth the price tag attached to it? Sorry if it was discussed already.
I, personally, lost interest about 10 hours in and uninstalled. Boring generic story, uninspired main characters and combat every few steps.

Music was cool and the job system wasn't bad (was better in FF5). Also has a decent difficulty curve if your into that sort of thing in an rpg. Once you get a boat they tell you about a few places and then are left to your own devices which was cool considering how on rails alot of games are these days.

If you want some nostalgic rpg fun it's not terrible. If your looking for any kind of story depth like in the later titles, skip it.