The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Siliconemelons

Who would be interested in a rerolled type "book club" but with FF games- we all pick one to play through and then have some civilized (lulz) discussion etc... I say we start with FFI - any choice of revision and give it a week-- anyone interested?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Who would be interested in a rerolled type "book club" but with FF games- we all pick one to play through and then have some civilized (lulz) discussion etc... I say we start with FFI - any choice of revision and give it a week-- anyone interested?
That would work great until you hit FF3 and half the board plays the wrong game.

Seriously though I have been considering playing through them all. Unfortunately, since I don't own any consoles I'm limited to emulators which would probably only let me play most of the earlier ones.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yeah let's start with 1. Half the board will get frustrated and quit at the Marsh Cave. It's not that hard guys, you just gotta hit up the power peninsula!

It'll definitely make for some thrilling discussion though, let's all talk about our "Floater"

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah let's start with 1. Half the board will get frustrated and quit at the Marsh Cave. It's not that hard guys, you just gotta hit up the power peninsula!

It'll definitely make for some thrilling discussion though, let's all talk about our "Floater"
Well I assume we'd do the advance remake instead, which smoothed out the leveling curve so that you don't hit a brick wall at the marsh cave.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Horribly dated comes to mind for almost every game in the series, as glorious as they were at the time.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Well I assume we'd do the advance remake instead, which smoothed out the leveling curve so that you don't hit a brick wall at the marsh cave.
I've played the graphically updated one that's part of Origins and the remake for the GBA and the one for the GBA is just too easy. Swapping out the Vancian spell system for MP is already enough to trivialize the entire thing but when combined with the changes (mega boosts) to leveling it's barely a game. Stick with the original NES version. In terms of actual time grinded going from acquiring the ship to the Marsh Cave isn't that big a deal. It may have seemed like a gigantic bottleneck when I was 8 but not now.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The only reason to grind hardcore in FF1 (at least prior to marsh cave) was to limit the amount of gold you had to spend on consumables and/or if you wanted those expensive as fuck silver swords.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The only reason to grind hardcore in FF1 (at least prior to marsh cave) was to limit the amount of gold you had to spend on consumables and/or if you wanted those expensive as fuck silver swords.
Except for the fact that you got to the marsh cave at level 4-5 and needed to be 8-9 to have a good chance of clearing it. No option other than some hardcore grinding.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's not hardcore anything. It doesn't take all that long to grind the couple levels necessary to buy a couple of level three spells, walk in, get the crown, and get out. You can't even get all the loot without the Mystic Key so there's no reason to bust your ass the first time through anyway. The only hazard is being unable to run/getting surprised by a group of creeps, getting chain paralyzed, and having to reset. The dungeon is small enough that it's no big deal if it happens.

Siliconemelons

well we would easily have up to 6 avail on emus/psn etc... I think..as we have been already discussing the differences in the game makes for good takes on it.

obviously many feel the old games are just dated crap that was good for then...and that's fine.

seems like a Saturday to Saturday is a good place to start...dunno if a week is long enough for everyone as they do rack up some hours in the game to finish playing on and off.

but FF1 has about 3 or 4 worth while versions, orig...dawn of souls..iOS and any others?

Siliconemelons

39$ game on the DS okay!

15$ on android "square wants to go bankrupt" and "it should be 1$"

but I am at 'the wall' on my FF4 ds... I am having to grind some, getting my ass handed to me.

Great Ogre Dictator

Golden Knight of the Realm
Finished FF1: anniversary edition. It has to be one of the most boring gaming experiences I've ever had. Now, I've played this game before, so that didn't help with the entertainment factor, but I kept noticing small changes that made the game easier. The encounters seemed to favor packs of weak mobs, while some of the more lethal encounters became so rare that I never even noticed them in some areas (for instance, I didn't get a single ogre encounter until I had already beaten the marsh cave.)

The game did seem to get a little more exciting around the time I got to the ice caverns (mind flayers/save or die attacks), but in the end I had only one death in the entire game (from said save or die ability.) The white mage hardly got any use except in the final battle, and seemed like a wasted character slot.

Overall, this remake was boring, and the developers should feel bad about making this game so damn easy.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
39$ game on the DS okay!

15$ on android "square wants to go bankrupt" and "it should be 1$"

but I am at 'the wall' on my FF4 ds... I am having to grind some, getting my ass handed to me.
Literally all you have to do to prepare is to just open all the sealed doors by killing the trap door monsters. By the time you get to the demon wall, you'll be plenty high enough to end it and the equipment you get from all the sealed rooms will put you over the top. Only time the Demon Wall is tough is if you just skip the rest of the cave and run right towards it.

Siliconemelons

Literally all you have to do to prepare is to just open all the sealed doors by killing the trap door monsters. By the time you get to the demon wall, you'll be plenty high enough to end it and the equipment you get from all the sealed rooms will put you over the top. Only time the Demon Wall is tough is if you just skip the rest of the cave and run right towards it.
I have, 100% map completion achieved right before the crystal room etc- I must have come in very under level or something. I always find it odd every playthrough and version I have problems in certain places- in the orig FF2 on SNES I always got raped by the damn cake thing at dwarf castle- on a Japanese translation SNES rom I could not get past the damn no-metal dark elf cave thing without grinding... and now in the 3DS remake it is The Wall - usually yes- if you get everything and get there at a proper level just slowing the thing usually lets you win- but I get slow out, haste everyone, throw shit at it and go balls out and it just doesn't cut it >_<

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
It's not hardcore anything. It doesn't take all that long to grind the couple levels necessary to buy a couple of level three spells, walk in, get the crown, and get out. You can't even get all the loot without the Mystic Key so there's no reason to bust your ass the first time through anyway. The only hazard is being unable to run/getting surprised by a group of creeps, getting chain paralyzed, and having to reset. The dungeon is small enough that it's no big deal if it happens.
If you knew about the power peninsula, it was a pretty short grind. If you didn't (like most of us when the game came out) it was a fairly nasty grind East of Elfland or even worse, a really long time spent failing over and over trying to start the Marsh Cave underleveled and under-equipped because the concept of grind was foreign to anyone who hadn't already played Dragon Warrior.

Of course if you had played Dragon Warrior at all, even the East of Elfland grind was short, considering the amount of time you spent killing Slimes just to buy a goddamn sword.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If I want to play through all the Final Fantasy games starting from 1, what emulators should I get, and how far up in the series can go I before emulators stop being an option?

Sean_sl

shitlord
If I want to play through all the Final Fantasy games starting from 1, what emulators should I get, and how far up in the series can go I before emulators stop being an option?
You can go as far as Final Fantasy 12. 13/13-2 are PS3 games.

FF7-9 you need epsxe or you can buy them on the PS3. FFX/X-2 and FF12 you need pcsx2 or you can wait to buy the HD remakes on the PS3. FF 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 can also be bought on the PS3.

FF 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 can also be played on a GBA emulator. The GBA versions have extra tweaks to them and are probably the best versions, at least for 4/5/6. You can also play these on a Nintendo DS and also a 3DS I think.

Final Fantasy 3 and 4 3D remakes can be bought on the Nintendo DS or played on a Nintendo DS emulator. Final Fantasy 3 3D remake can also be bought on a PSP/PSV (or played on a hacked PSP). There's also a Final Fantasy 4 Complete Collection on the PSP, which is a re-release of the 2D FF4 with a bunch of extra stuff and FF4: The After Years game.

FF1 can also be played on a NES emulator and 4/6 on a SNES emulator. 5 can also be played a SNES emulator, but needs a translation patch.

There's also some iOS/Android versions that I can't be assed to look up.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have, 100% map completion achieved right before the crystal room etc- I must have come in very under level or something. I always find it odd every playthrough and version I have problems in certain places- in the orig FF2 on SNES I always got raped by the damn cake thing at dwarf castle- on a Japanese translation SNES rom I could not get past the damn no-metal dark elf cave thing without grinding... and now in the 3DS remake it is The Wall - usually yes- if you get everything and get there at a proper level just slowing the thing usually lets you win- but I get slow out, haste everyone, throw shit at it and go balls out and it just doesn't cut it >_<
Been awhile since I replayed FF2(4) on my SNES, but I recall those same areas where I needed to grind some. The equipment in the Sealed Cave usually pushed me over the top and like Rezz said if you went through killing all of the door monsters you got major exp and a couple of extra levels this way.

I feel kind of bad for everyone looking for emulators, I still have a working NES, SNES, PS, PS2, PS3. Lost my old copy of Final Fantasy though, and I don't own the Japanese 2 or 3, have access to 5 from Anthologies (although I have a SNES 3). But aside from those, I could play all the originals, I just find a lot of the games have lost their replay value over time, or I've just gotten too old to enjoy them. Only ones I've enjoyed replaying through in the past couple years were 7, 10, and Tactics. Was sad when 3(6) on the SNES lost replay appeal. Get to the World of Ruin and just stopped being interesting.