The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Siliconemelons

FF2's system was cool even if you could sploit it- it is a skill growth development system-- you gain skill in what you use in battle the most- gain HP if you take hits etc, gain sword by useing sword in battle, magic by useing it in battle etc etc etc-- all characters had a sort of defined "class" by starting off with X set of skills being higher than others- but in the end...if you really really wanted to...you could make everyone be super duper.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Can I play 13-2 without playing 13? I don't really have time for a shitty JRPG, but I'd like to play a good one.(Where are you Kingdom Hearts 3?!)

Metacritic has the game at 79...lower than 13's 83? I suspect I just wasted $10.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The fact that metacritic has FF13 at an 83 just proves how fucking worthless metacritic is.

Fidlen

Lord Nagafen Raider
This thread brings back memories of FF9 for me because I actually beat the game while asleep.

I had all 4 of my characters set up the same way, Auto haste, Auto Potion, Regen and counter attack. Its a total cheese way to win cause as long as you arent 1 shotted you pretty much cant die. How it works is this, anytime one of your members gets hit they will auto cast a potion. This heals for next to nothing at all but what it does it take an extremely long time to animate. While 4 characters are taking their turns casting this potion they are regaining hp at a crazy lvl due to auto haste and regen. And then with the counter ability my chars would just sit there get hit counter attack cast potion and rinse repeat untill the game ended.

So yeah on my second playthrough I fell asleep and woke up the next morning with the end cinema credit screen.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Can I play 13-2 without playing 13? I don't really have time for a shitty JRPG, but I'd like to play a good one.(Where are you Kingdom Hearts 3?!)

Metacritic has the game at 79...lower than 13's 83? I suspect I just wasted $10.
Yeah, you can play 13-2 without playing 13. Just read a quick synopsis on it.

And Metacritic is generally worthless on JRPGs. If you like JRPGs and the things that make them JRPGs, then you will like FF13-2. It basically cut out all the bad design choices in FF13 and kept the good ones and added a bunch of normal stuff that people like.

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
FF2's system was cool even if you could sploit it- it is a skill growth development system-- you gain skill in what you use in battle the most- gain HP if you take hits etc, gain sword by useing sword in battle, magic by useing it in battle etc etc etc-- all characters had a sort of defined "class" by starting off with X set of skills being higher than others- but in the end...if you really really wanted to...you could make everyone be super duper.
The FF2 system was an interesting idea, but the implementation was lacking. It also had the continuous fetch quests going back and forth on the same paths. I've played through that game a handful of times (translated rom, the various rereleases), and every time I get to a point where I just want to put the controller down and blow my goddamn brains out.

Thanks for the heads up on the 50% sale - went ahead and ordered 13-2 (been planning to pick it up for a while when I could find it cheap enough, thanks in no small part to Sean's praise of the game). I suppose in the interim I'll have to finally force myself to play through 13... I've tried, a few times, but christ do I hate that game.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I suppose in the interim I'll have to finally force myself to play through 13... I've tried, a few times, but christ do I hate that game.
Good luck w/ the story line, especially the endings. Its equally fantastic.

TWO THUMBS UP.

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh, tangentially related - Jesse Cox (of youtube fame?) will be streaming FF6 from start to finish this weekend in honor of the series' 25th anniversary. The plan is to have a whole host of guests from the TGS crew joining in. Should be at least somewhat entertaining.

I believe the plan is to start around 7PM EST on Friday at theTGS Twitch channel.

The fact that metacritic has FF13 at an 83 just proves how fucking worthless metacritic is.
The metacritic score is usually way off.

I only check there for actual thoughtful reviews of games / movies. Surprisingly enough, reviews from users are usually more helpful than the "professionals" lol.

The retards that spam A+++ perfect 10 blah blah are easy to ignore after a while.

I almost wonder if there isn't some army of bots that gives dumb reviews to films and shit.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I always liked this system as well. Akitoshi Kawazu designed FF2 which should be no surprise since he took that same design to the nth degree with all the SaGa games.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I really don't get how SquareEnix or w/e the fuck they're called now know that we all love FF7 (well most of us), know we really dislike the new trend in their FF's, but yet keep shoving the same shit down our throats. Is George Lucas involved somehow?
Part of the problem is like Sean said, the old studio guys left. The other part is the new guys refusing to use anything of the old formula. A lot of people have begged for a FF7 remake and a return to the "old style", but the new crew absolutely refuse and want everyone to recognizetheirstuff. Too bad a lot of it pisses off the fans.

I'll always hold a grudge against Square-Enix because they did acrappy remakeof Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1 in Japan), they don't seem to have any ambition of releasing Secret of Mana for the portables, and there's no release of Seiken Densetsu 3 in the States.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Part of the problem is like Sean said, the old studio guys left. The other part is the new guys refusing to use anything of the old formula. A lot of people have begged for a FF7 remake and a return to the "old style", but the new crew absolutely refuse and want everyone to recognizetheirstuff. Too bad a lot of it pisses off the fans.
The thing is in my opinion, there isn't a rift between the new and the old style. Shinier graphics and cooler cutscenes sure, but the main difference is the story, characters, sounds, world and so on, stuff that is purely artistic. Mechanically I don't think FF7 was any better than most of the more recent FF. I mean FF7 didn't have insanely good combat, it was very very run of the mill ATB, and the progression system for the characters while interesting wasn't unique or the best ever, it was just good. The problem is, if you try to make FF7 and use the same materia system and the same combat, you'd still fail unless you can write the same kind of story with the same kind of characters. This is what Squeenix has failed to do for years now, they cannot manage to get both good chars and good story together. Or good story at all really. X had pretty good chars and world(loved the water sports thing) but story was fairly poop, I have no idea what happened in XII nor do I remember any char from it so it was most likely horrible and XIII had bad characters and bad story, but in my opinion far superior combat to most of the FF ever before.

The issue isn't that they don't copy the older games, the issue is that they CAN'T copy the older games because they don't have the talent to write the stories like they used to. I mean sure there's also weird choices like the corridor system of FFXIII for 1/3 of the game and shit but that alone didn't make it a bad game imo. The fact is, I hated most of the chars because they were obvious and completely bland, and then I hated everything they did because the world and story were retarded.

Even more important then the world is I think, you need good characters. If I try to sum up why I liked FF6 and FF7 in a few words, it'd be Shadow, Kefka, the Opera, the destruction of the world; Cloud, Sephiroth, Aerrith dying, the link between Cloud and Sephiroth. The new FF have nothing of that sort, or when they try it's flat and uninspired, the characters are bland, typical anime stereotypes and almost none of them even play a major part in the actual story. That's what ruins the FFs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Literally all they had to do was get rid of auto-attack bullshit in FF13, rename the classes to what we all used to love, and get rid of this paradigm shit and I would've at least enjoyed 13 a little. I could forgive the corridors if the combat wasn't:

1) Switch roles to do damage
2) Auto-attack
3) Need heals, someone is dying
4) Switch to Sen + Med + xxx
5) Press auto-heal/attack/tank
6) Go to 1

There's no real thought put into the combat of 13 and 13-2. That really made me so pissed off. They took a game that required a little bit of strategy and planning with attacks and formations and basically shit on it. The story wasn't even terrible, minus the obnoxious characters.

On the subject of 13-2, why is the frame rate consistently so bad on PS3? Did they not test this game and think "Hmm, this might look weird."?

Siliconemelons

Thanks for the Squall is dead link, you wasted my entire work day +1

On that... I like that theory as it makes sence to me... the ending of FF8 is the single most fucked up FMVs in terms of visuals and everything... 8 is so disjointed from the end of disc1 onward that it literally is another game... so I am going to go on from now beliveing this theory...and I still hate 8... where was that quote from FoH I had in my sig...something like "All you 8 is great fuckers stop shitting up every FF thread!" :)

Also lost on FoH but wasnt there a news story that they will not do a remake of 7 untill they have released a game better than 7...admiting...all their new stuff is shit

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So, regarding FF13-2. I decided to pick it back up so I could beat it. I just entered the Aurora Tower or something but don't have a Wild Artefact to open some gate to get some other artefact. Kind of gay as I now need to backtrack through every area until I find it.

What monsters will make the best companions? Chocobos across the board? I just picked up a purple one, but I can't seem to 5-star this red one I'm after.

syeren_sl

shitlord
Regarding FFXIII-2: If you make a perfect Chichu, while incredibly funny to watch in action, it can make the entire game pointless in regards to offering any challenge.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
The thing is in my opinion, there isn't a rift between the new and the old style. Shinier graphics and cooler cutscenes sure, but the main difference is the story, characters, sounds, world and so on, stuff that is purely artistic. Mechanically I don't think FF7 was any better than most of the more recent FF. I mean FF7 didn't have insanely good combat, it was very very run of the mill ATB, and the progression system for the characters while interesting wasn't unique or the best ever, it was just good. The problem is, if you try to make FF7 and use the same materia system and the same combat, you'd still fail unless you can write the same kind of story with the same kind of characters. This is what Squeenix has failed to do for years now, they cannot manage to get both good chars and good story together. Or good story at all really. X had pretty good chars and world(loved the water sports thing) but story was fairly poop, I have no idea what happened in XII nor do I remember any char from it so it was most likely horrible and XIII had bad characters and bad story, but in my opinion far superior combat to most of the FF ever before.

The issue isn't that they don't copy the older games, the issue is that they CAN'T copy the older games because they don't have the talent to write the stories like they used to. I mean sure there's also weird choices like the corridor system of FFXIII for 1/3 of the game and shit but that alone didn't make it a bad game imo. The fact is, I hated most of the chars because they were obvious and completely bland, and then I hated everything they did because the world and story were retarded.

Even more important then the world is I think, you need good characters. If I try to sum up why I liked FF6 and FF7 in a few words, it'd be Shadow, Kefka, the Opera, the destruction of the world; Cloud, Sephiroth, Aerrith dying, the link between Cloud and Sephiroth. The new FF have nothing of that sort, or when they try it's flat and uninspired, the characters are bland, typical anime stereotypes and almost none of them even play a major part in the actual story. That's what ruins the FFs.
This is almost exactly how I feel. When I bought my xbox there was two reasons for me buying it, to play Multiplayer games with my brother/friends and because Final Fantasy was going to be on xbox. Sure, 13 wasn't the best, but since I"m still a sucker for FF games I did enjoy it overall even though the story/characters weren't the best.

I think one of the biggest things that makes me love or hate RPGs is if there is an open world to explore. So many newer RPGs now just have you board your airship and select the location you want to go to from a list and poof, you're there. Gimme a god damn airship to fly around the world on and explore on my own! , I want to find secret locations by seeing a lighter shade of green in those trees, not having me input special commands to find secret locations (I'm looking at you 10-2!) or finding random hidden Artifacts to unlock portals (13-2!)

I'm playing a RPG on xbox currently called Tales of Vesperia (Thanks Sean!) and it's so much fun. The characters and the world are awesome, the story is amazing so far (I'm only like 1/2 way through it) and the battle system, although can be a little repetitive is still new and keeps it entertaining.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'm playing a RPG on xbox currently called Tales of Vesperia (Thanks Sean!) and it's so much fun. The characters and the world are awesome, the story is amazing so far (I'm only like 1/2 way through it) and the battle system, although can be a little repetitive is still new and keeps it entertaining.
If you like Vesperia you should check out some of the older Tales games, there's some real gems there (like Abyss).