The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Szlia

I really don't get how SquareEnix or w/e the fuck they're called now know that we all love FF7 (well most of us), know we really dislike the new trend in their FF's, but yet keep shoving the same shit down our throats. Is George Lucas involved somehow?
I just checked and as far as japanese gamers go (a least Famitsu readers who rate their all time favorite games), the top three FF are first X, second VII and third XII.

Caliane

but they are giving you what you way. You liked 7. so they gave you more of that. 8, 10, 12, 13.

The people that liked 1-6, got 9.
And Dragonquest 7-10. and remakes of 5 and 6.

What trend do you think those newer FF have that wasn't started in 7?

Heartbrand_sl

shitlord
but they are giving you what you way. You liked 7. so they gave you more of that. 8, 10, 12, 13.

The people that liked 1-6, got 9.
And Dragonquest 7-10. and remakes of 5 and 6.

What trend do you think those newer FF have that wasn't started in 7?
What happened to open worlds? The ability to basically go anywhere you wanted, often times going somewhere way too difficult by accident. What happened to meaningful side quests? The ability to actually control all the characters in your party? Something cool like the materia system, or the FF8 combat, or even FFX? What happened to the cool music? Why do all the new FF's take place in futuristic looking societies? (Yes I know FF7 had some aspects of this but it also had many of the traditional RPG type characters and locations as well). What happened to antagonists you gave a fuck about? Sephiroth / Kefka? Where are the options? In FF6 and 7 there were optional characters that you didn't have to get, where your decisions in the game determined if they joined you or not. I dunno, when I played FF13 it just felt like I was watching a movie and hitting the X button to continue at certain points.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Seriously, FFXIII-2, give it a fucking shot. It uses so much of the good shit Square has done before and it really comes together well. It's a completely different game than the abomination that was FFXIII that soured everyone's opinions of Square so much.

scal_sl

shitlord
FF7 would have been Tactics level of good if the story stayed focused on Midgar/Shinra. I personally felt that the Shinra Company was a much better villain than Sephiroth. Throughout the entire game, the party sees Shinra fucking over every town in the world, but we remember the guy who killed some dumb slut that no one used in their party anyways.

FF8 suffered from a similar fate where the first disk is fantastic, but the plot just goes to shit after that (in before Squall died theory).

Heartbrand_sl

shitlord
I love FF3 but it is missing that really difficult optional side quest content. I don't really remember any particularly difficult fights, other than perhaps that boss of the tower where you can't use any magic.

FF3 Opera Scene had more emotion on a 16 bit platform than anything I've seen in today's games. Maybe it was because I was a kid but I was totally immersed into that game.

FF7 would have been Tactics level of good if the story stayed focused on Midgar/Shinra. I personally felt that the Shinra Company was a much better villain than Sephiroth. Throughout the entire game, the party sees Shinra fucking over every town in the world, but we remember the guy who killed some dumb slut that no one used in their party anyways.

FF8 suffered from a similar fate where the first disk is fantastic, but the plot just goes to shit after that (in before Squall died theory).
DUDE I TOTALLY AGREE. Shinra was fucking badass. I remember thinking Rufus was a better bad guy than emo Sephiroth. Fucking love his music too.

Sean_sl

shitlord
What does FFXIII-2 do differently that merits a play through? I hated FFXIII fyi.
For starters, it's not a bunch of linear hallways. It has good zone maps that have a fair bit of exploration to them.

The job system it uses is also fully open from the get-go. You can level any class you want on Noel and Serah right away. How you level up the classes is a bit tweaked too - it's sort of like a linear sphere grid that you move through that repeats itself with bigger and smaller bonuses, but the class you currently are set as determines those bonuses and you can change your class at will. It works really well.

You still only control one character at a time like in FFXIII and it uses the FFXIII battle system, but unlike FFXIII you can swap between your lead party member in combat and aren't locked to someone.

Your third party member slot is for Monsters that you capture and raise. They each have their own specific classes and ability sets. You can also fuse them together to give a monster abilities of other monsters and it's a really fun system to play with.

There's no world map, but there's a Time Gate system like Chrono Trigger uses and it is pretty damned awesome. There's a ton of time jumping around and there's some cool changes between areas in different periods. There's also a bunch of Chrono Trigger-like "What If" endings you can play through by going back and doing specific things in different eras post game. Bosses you can fight again doing different things, etc.

There's tons of hidden shit to find and explore as well. Hidden monsters, puzzles and repairing time fissures, etc.

Oh, and they actually manged to make Hope pretty damned cool. He grew up quite a bit.

Caliane

What happened to open worlds? The ability to basically go anywhere you wanted, often times going somewhere way too difficult by accident. What happened to meaningful side quests? The ability to actually control all the characters in your party? Something cool like the materia system, or the FF8 combat, or even FFX? What happened to the cool music? Why do all the new FF's take place in futuristic looking societies? (Yes I know FF7 had some aspects of this but it also had many of the traditional RPG type characters and locations as well). What happened to antagonists you gave a fuck about? Sephiroth / Kefka? Where are the options? In FF6 and 7 there were optional characters that you didn't have to get, where your decisions in the game determined if they joined you or not. I dunno, when I played FF13 it just felt like I was watching a movie and hitting the X button to continue at certain points.
8, and 10 had world maps.
Also, 7 you spent the first 30% in Midgar. So yeah, that no map stuff. 7. (and persona)
Character control. yeah, thats a weird one. comes and goes in various series. Most of the dragon quests do this shit too for some reason.
Music. The composer went freelance after FF 8. He did a song or two, generally main themes for each. And worked on 11 heavily. yeah hes on 14 again.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobuo_Uematsu
Sephiroth was a cardboard cutout. he was not a character at all. Seriously, shinra was a million times more flushed out.

8 was aite, the only thing i remember being cool was the assassination attempt in the beginning of the game going to hell and the two gardens crashing into each other was pretty epic too.

scal_sl

shitlord
FF3 Opera Scene had more emotion on a 16 bit platform than anything I've seen in today's games. Maybe it was because I was a kid but I was totally immersed into that game.
I was at the 25 year Anniversary of FF concert in Chicago last week. Was pretty awesome how they did the Opera scene. There were 3 opera singers (Maria, Draco, and Prince Ralse), a narrator, the orchestra (of course), and a giant screen that showed a playthrough of the Opera Scene in FF6.

My favorite scene as a kid was always in FF4 when Golbez comes after Calabrena and fucks you up. Then right before Cecil is about to eat it, MYST DRAGON OUT OF NOWHERE MOTHERFUCKER - ITS RYDIA AND SHE'S BACK TO BE THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME. I get a huge erection just thinking about that part.

I think the last RPG I played that I actually got caught up in the story was Suikoden for the PS. I remember when Gremio got trapped in some room or something and died a horrible death. I was like WTF!

Sean_sl

shitlord
http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-...dp/B003O6JIVE/

$18.32 for the PS3 version, $17.25 for the X360 version on Amazon. They're pretty much identical and each only a single disc since it uses mostly in-game cutscenes and isn't loaded with absurdly huge pre-rendered CG scenes.

There's also a bunch of costume and coliseum DLC for it, but it's all pretty overpriced. I'd say wait for an edition that includes all of it packed in with the game, but I doubt they're going to ever do one. Some of the coliseum stuff is worth it for the characters you can get as monster party members, but it's all really late or post-game stuff.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/L...adable_Content

I need a hat for samwise
frown.png

frown.png