The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I definitely loved FFX, but buying the game again for a resolution increase? I think I'll pass. Great game though for anyone who hasn't played it. Really was the last FF I played that I enjoyed.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Eh, it's a little more than a resolution increase. They redid a lot of the models/textures and both games are based on the international version of the games(stuff not released in the US).

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
X was the last main game (Admittedly, I haven't played FFX-2) to have actual turn based combat, instead of the ATB system that has been in place from FF4 onward. IT actually lets you decide what you are going to do, instead of racing the clock in many instances. Instead of knowing that the Demon Wall is going to advance while you are looking for shit to throw or which exact spell to cast, imagine being able to know that you have 3 turns before it moves forward. Changes the dynamics of the battle quite a bit.

FFX's combat system is the best FF combat system in 20 years. And that includes my love for FF12s.

Sean_sl

shitlord
X was the last main game (Admittedly, I haven't played FFX-2) to have actual turn based combat, instead of the ATB system that has been in place from FF4 onward. IT actually lets you decide what you are going to do, instead of racing the clock in many instances. Instead of knowing that the Demon Wall is going to advance while you are looking for shit to throw or which exact spell to cast, imagine being able to know that you have 3 turns before it moves forward. Changes the dynamics of the battle quite a bit.

FFX's combat system is the best FF combat system in 20 years. And that includes my love for FF12s.
Toss up between FFX and FFX-2 for me combat wise. FFX, FFX-2, and FFXIII-2 are all leagues better than all of the other FF games on a gameplay/technical level, imo.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Agreed it's a shitty scene. I don't think that one unconsequential thing can ruin the entire storyline and I'm puzzled at how it is ruining the excellent gameplay which is one of the best in Final Fantasy.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Figured out how to change all of my characters Jobs in the Bravely Default demo and things are so good right now. This is the first RPG of this style I've tried and actually liked! Can't wait to level up, and get new abilities for everyone!

Rolling with Knight, Black Mage, Valkyrie, and White Mage.
smile.png

Vorph

Lightning Returns demo is available for download now. (360 not until tomorrow in Europe?)

It includes an extra costume for the full release, so grab it even if you're already sure you're buying the game.

Edit: Demo was way too short.
frown.png
Definitely sold me on keeping my pre-order though.
Edit 2: Apparently there's a second bonus costume for playing the demo if you allow it to turn on that Outerworld nonsense. Oops.

Also, Amazon has amini version of the game guideon the pre-order page now, if you're interested in reading about the game mechanics. Nothing spoiler-y in it, it's basically just an extended game manual.

Amazon also added the FFX Yuna costume as a pre-order bonus today.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Played the Lightning Returns demo. Was not bad at all and I'm pretty excited for it and look forward to messing around with the game's systems and playing through it multiple times to get everything.

Note about the Pre-Order costumes: Apparently all of them will be available post-launch if you want to get them all. Not sure how much they'll cost though. Gamestop is the only store that is offering 2 unique ones.

Vorph

JP players say the samurai costumes all suck, and that the Yuna costume is useful for more of the game. No idea what the skills on the Yuna one are, but I did read that the ones on the samurai costume recolors are really low level (1's and 2's).

Also, fuck Gamestop.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
The Bravely Default demo was awesome. Feb 7 can't get here fast enough.

The Lightning Returns demo was just flat out horrible. Its not even an RPG. Its an action game with the FF13 main character. I just don't understand SQUENIX. It looks like they can still make fun RPGs. Bravely Default looks great. But their flagship FF titles? SQUENIX is releasing 3 FF titles that I know about this year and the only one of them that is an RPG is the hidef remake of an old game. Beyond lame.

Its like EA all of a sudden deciding that football games are a dying genre so Madden 2K15 is going to be a collectable card game. How can they be so stupid?

Vorph

Its not even an RPG. Its an action game with the FF13 main character.
Aside from a few titles by companies like NISA or Gust, nearly all console JRPGs these days are action games. The only difference here is that Lightning is solo.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Its like EA all of a sudden deciding that football games are a dying genre so Madden 2K15 is going to be a collectable card game. How can they be so stupid?
They are? Lol. Might be due to Blizzard and Hearthstone. People throwing money at a free to play card game that takes ten times less resources to make than a typical game. Not like sports cards are uncommon. Don't think I know of anyone who didn't collect them as a kid. Bringing it into a card game makes sense. Hearthstone has shown there is a definite market for the more simplistic collectible card games. Wouldn't be surprised if that will be the new craze publisher push on developers. Look at all the money, get into that market, now.

I have a nephew that is 10, since he was around 6 he has filled up his fifa folders of cards that do little except trading at school. Every year, new folders of various leagues. Hundreds of cards and lots of money. Not sure about American Football, but a game like Hearthstone featuring soccer players would make so much money here.

On topic, is there any way to play Bravely Default without a 3DS? Are there any plans to port it to anything else?

Crone

Just figured out how to speed up fights in BD. Oh dang, this game is even easier.

Currently trying to beat the first big ass turtle boss dude. First fight where I had to actually think of when to use brave's and defaults. lol

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
To hell with all you guys (especially Sean). I had to get Bravely Default after all the praise, caved to the handheld pressure and bought a DS (Zelda 3DS XL one) today. Downloading Bravely Default now. Also bought Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Are there any other must have RPG games for it? As in the top tier. Only had a DS briefly before and played Ocarina on it. Played no other DS games (other than a little bit of Dragon Warrior IX).

Was looking at Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate or whatever it was called. That any good, or is the hand held version very gimped?

Needless

Toe Sucker
A lot of people will recommend Shin Megami Tensei IV, but thats not every bodies cup of tea heh

Crone

I didn't like fire emblem because I find it tedious to move a whole party around every turn. It adds a layer of strategy I suppose but I just wasn't liking it.

You already have the Zelda edition so you have a link to the past pre installed. That's another great game.

Vorph

If you do like the grid-based strategy games, SMT: Devil Survivor 1 & 2 are somewhere between FE and Tactics Ogre (FFT for you heathens out there) as far as battle mechanics go. I played them both on the DS, and the 'Overclocked' versions on 3DS are supposed to be straight improvements over the originals. Two of my three favorite DS games, right up there with Radiant Historia.

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians by Playdek Kickstarter

Does that game have its own kickstarter thread here? They adjusted some stretch goals and such and added a PS4 version.
I didn't see one - searched real quick when I got the last update a few minutes ago.

If anyone's not looked at this yet, go do so, right fucking now. They've also brought the character artist from FFTactics on board. There's a slight glimmer of hope with this one.