The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

I played and beat ff8 with minimal card game playing. thought the side game was gay and only did it when i had to lol. not my favorite game but obv its only broken if you choose to break it.

btw whats up with everyone's obsession with Lightning? that game was terrible and the characters were so blah

scal_sl

shitlord
I find people who hate FF8 are playing the game entirely wrong.

You know all that stuff about Squall, Rinoa, and Seifer? Yeah, that's all a side quest. Edea? Side quest. Ultimecia? Ho ho, side quest. The real game is Triple Triad. All these side quests are there to unlock more people to play against and different Triple Triad rules.

Once you start looking at the game in this light, it becomes a much better game.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
rrr_img_4787.jpg

I like it.
I don't get it. The picture doesn't make sense.

scal_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure I understand the drawing argument.

Yeah, it's probably quicker to get 100 doubles via drawing than from cards. However, cards are 1) way more entertaining, 2) you get other shit while playing cards, and 3) you can get good spells from cards much earlier.

You can break the game with cards before you're even done with the games 2 tutorial missions. Double is only one example. It is really really easy to get 100 waters, aeros, tornado, etc. at the start of the game which is enough to wreck everything - especially if you're abusing limit breaks.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Draw is/was a terrible mechanic. Though I will definitely say this: The card game as a minigame was f'n great. The downside being the "Random" modifier or whatever it was that the Queen of Cards had that basically forced you to only carry the best cards and to instantly refine mediocre or worse stuff to avoid having it randomly fuck you in the ass and make you lose good cards.

Had draw worked differently (instead of a finite amount, when you draw a certain number of a spell you unlock it period for that character, and not every character could draw every spell... lots of better ways to go about it) and have abilities/weapons/gf additions that let you autodraw while doing more productive stuff, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad. The problem was, it really was "waste a turn, get 2 Blind" for 99% of the game. That right there is terrible.

Xalara

Golden Squire
It is a legitimate complaint of the game that it allows a player to smash it over their knee before they've even seen another town without doing anything special. Unlock a couple GF abilities, play some cards, and refine some items and that's it. Even worse once you start to figure out the game's obfuscated mechanics you realize that playing cards is by far the least painful and least grindy way to play the game. FF8 is at it'sbestwhen you spend some time and the beginning of the game setting yourself up. If you are trying to play it like you would have played the previous games in the series than welcome to a miserable experience filled with awful grinding.
It's a problem that pretty much all RPGs, JRPG or otherwise, have. So saying that FF8 is worse than others for this reason is stupid. I mean look at Skyrim, Dragon Age, etc. it is incredibly easy to trivialize those games too.

Szlia

I played 8 at the time of its release and never played it since, but I am certain I barely played the card game and I don't remember having to grind anything or draw stuff for ages. I guess the game is what you make of it.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Why aren't you guys talking about FF VI (or III) aka. the best FF game ever created...ever.

Crell_sl

shitlord
re: breaking FF9...

It's pretty difficult to break FF9 in that story progression pretty much determines ability availability which determines how OP you are for certain content. You can basically outlevel content by grinding a ton and that's it. When you get to the -very- end of the game, yeah, there are some neat tricks you can pull that basically outplay the computer in most aspects, but it is effectively impossible to make yourself too OP for the game without serious conscious effort and a fuckload of grinding prior to that. It's up there with FF1 in the area of being "broke" proof.
The only way I know of (or at least remember) to break FF9 somewhat early is climbing out onto that little area on the side of a mountain in that one Grotto cave (can't remember the name) that has those Grand Dragons on it. Some little trick involving Quina I believe you could abuse to take them out and gain game breaking exp. But like you said, that requires a lot of effort + thought to pull off.

FF8 just hands you God mode buttons, with little thought or foresight in how to use them.

Crell_sl

shitlord
Why aren't you guys talking about FF VI (or III) aka. the best FF game ever created...ever.
I must confess a sin. I have never played through it entirely. Furthest I ever got was the the dead world (or whatever it was called). Shame to, because when I do play it I love every minute. Chalk it up to being a Sega kid and never having it. One day I will complete it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I must confess a sin. I have never played through it entirely. Furthest I ever got was the the dead world (or whatever it was called). Shame to, because when I do play it I love every minute. Chalk it up to being a Sega kid and never having it. One day I will complete it.
I'm pretty sure you should be banned from the forum until you've beaten FF6.

Crell_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty sure you should be banned from the forum until you've beaten FF6.
But how would I prove that I've beaten it! To be honest, it's next on my RPG list after I finish my current run of Mass Effect. It's been on the back of my head for the longest time, and every time I do play it I enjoy every second. Really have zero idea why I have never played it from start to finish.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Should totally RRP you until you post a picture of you beating FF6. FOR SHAME SIR. I don't know how anyone can continue to do Mass Effect runs after the dogshit that was ME3, especially over FF6.

You crazy bro.

beating it is simply not enough, beating it without a guide or wiki is the only way u can be forgiven. i think thats what these games are lacking these days, playing through them without knowing whats ahead. its too damn easy to google the next boss or best path these days even when the game isnt even out yet there are guides and FAQs popping up. when RE5 came out, i didnt look up shit and it made the game like 10x better. Like i was seriously shocked when you find out the bird mask person is jill and you have to fight her and wesker. gave me a boner which I prob would not have gotten had I known what was going on. shit im ramblin. im out

Crell_sl

shitlord
Should totally RRP you until you post a picture of you beating FF6. FOR SHAME SIR. I don't know how anyone can continue to do Mass Effect runs after the dogshit that was ME3, especially over FF6.

You crazy bro.
Meh, I like Mass Effect oustide of the ending. Found a mod that completely alters the ending, so with this run (only my second run) I'm going to use that instead. But yes, I do hang my head in shame for never finishing FF6. Hell I own the cart. I'll make up for this FF8 disagreement by beating FF6.