The Back to School Thread

Papashlapa

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but a website a friend of mine showed me that's extremely useful for double checking your work isWolfram Alpha. You can enter pretty much anything and get the answer, find the derivative, show a graph, the integral, the roots, does essentially anything you can think of. You can even get step by step solutions to up to three (I think) problems per day for free.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Step by step used to be unlimited. It is if you have the app. One of only 2 I've ever purchased. Totally worth it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When I took calc 2 and 3 step by step was unlimited and saved my ass a bit when I didn't understand problems. Unfortunately with the rise of wolframs popularity it now costs money. You can make unlimited new accounts though.

Start my final undergrad semester this coming Wednesday. It is an awesome feeling. Engineering was harder than I could've ever imagined but I am leaving school feeling smarter than like 80% of the population.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
True enough, already in the industry. With computer engineering at least my job directly relates to what I'm doing now though.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I have come to the conclusion that the online program we use to do math homework this semester is like a bad abortion gone horribly wrong.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I have come to the conclusion that the online program we use to do math homework this semester is like a bad abortion gone horribly wrong.
Its not webworks, is it? Someone rapes a new born everytime you use it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Isn't an abortion gone horribly wrong already, by default, a bad abortion? It seems redundant.

I'm not normally one to nitpick things like this, but since this is The Back to School Thread I'd hate for someone to read your post and start writing redundancies such as "bad abortion gone horribly wrong", "time period", or "difficult math" on their college essays.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I was imagining like a cheap prostitute going into a really low scale abortion clinic, so she's already having a bad abortion, and then mid proceedure, something happens to make it just so much worse.

Oceans of blood and baby parts everywhere.

Like Dr Gosnell's office.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I have come to the conclusion that early Calculus isn't hard. Its just tedious.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Yeah, its not "hard" per say, but just takes a shit load of practice before you're good at it, like anything else really. Cal 2 can be a bitch (depending on your professor) due to having to memorize trigonometric identities. Cal 3 was fun, I enjoyed that. Im in Differential Equations right now, and its not bad. Whats nice, is after the calc series, the class size drops, at least at my school. Only 17 people in my class, which is much better than those fucking auditorium shit shows. I can actually engage the professor with a legit question during class rather than hastily copying notes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Been using calculus a lot in digital electronics (diodes, transistors, circuit analysis) and my discrete-time signals courses, glad I did well in Calc1-3.

I accepted a job offer for when I graduate in December and it really dropped my school motivation to like 10%. Anyone else ever have that happen? How did you deal? I know I'll pass and probably do well enough, but I really wanted to hit straight A's for when I apply to grad school in a year or two.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Sequences and series aren't too bad. The trig identities aren't too bad so far, either. It helps that the guy doing the course on Coursera is a good teacher (Jim Fowler from Ohio State).

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
I just submitted my college application. I'm excited as fuck. I'm actually doing this.
Awesome dude. I was stoked as well when I apped, even moreso when I got accepted
biggrin.png

Major/School?