The Bear

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 2 Votes
Title: The Bear

Genre: Comedy

First aired: 2022-06-23

Creator: Christopher Storer

Cast: Jeremy Allen White, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Ayo Edebiri, Lionel Boyce, Abby Elliott, Liza Colón-Zayas

Overview: Carmen “Carmy” Berzatto, a young chef from the fine dining world, comes home to Chicago to run his family sandwich shop after a heartbreaking death. As Carmy fights to transform the restaurant and himself, his rough-around-the-edges kitchen crew ultimately reveal themselves as his chosen family.

Animosity

New Hulu show. All 8 episodes are out. Its pretty darn good IMO.

If you were a fan of Shameless, this feels like a complete spinoff. It should just be called "Shameless 2 - Lip Takes Over Patsy's". Its even based in Chicago.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
I enjoyed the first season, but felt that:

The ending with the cans of sauce was kind of a cop out. We'll see what they do with the next season, but everything was going to shit and then they find what I'm assuming is the electrical company money and everything is fine?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
New Hulu show. All 8 episodes are out. Its pretty darn good IMO.

If you were a fan of Shameless, this feels like a complete spinoff. It should just be called "Shameless 2 - Lip Takes Over Patsy's". Its even based in Chicago.
What's Chicago got to do with shameless?

Screenshot_20220706-013245.png

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Sorry, naked Emmy Rossum makes US Shameless the best Shameless. For at least the first few seasons, she was one of the best looking women in Hollywood.

No tits outside of SS option:
article-0-19FE893900000578-170_638x849.jpg

I've not watched either

I just object to us remakes

• 1Salty

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've not watched either

I just object to us remakes
Back when I watched more TV, I used to prefer Brit shows to US versions, but it depends on the show. Some can coexist well enough. For example, UK Borgias was great, US Borgias was good and I have rewatched both.

Shameless probably works well for both, because the show uses a lot of local and regional specific idiosyncrasies.

P.S. UK The Office sucks...and so does the US version. I dislike faux reality shows only slightly less than I hate real "reality" shows.

Homsar

P.S. UK The Office sucks...and so does the US version. I dislike faux reality shows only slightly less than I hate real "reality" shows.
Parks and rec ended up pretty great, I normally can't stand them

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What We Do In The Shadows is hilarious as well.

Oh, right, I also like What We Do In The Shadows, but didn't really consider it a faux reality show, because of it's fantasy elements.

I loved the movie, as it felt more like a mocumentary (This is Spinal Tap) than an Office type faux reality show. Still, the TV show took 3 or 4 episodes before it clicked. I watched 2 episodes when it first aired, then took a ~2 year break before coming back to it.

I have read that Park & Rec is kinda the same way, where season 1 is the weakest, but have never gotten around to downloading it (then powering through till season 2+).

Last edited:

Animosity

I have read that Park & Rec is kinda the same way, where season 1 is the weakest, but have never gotten around to downloading it (then powering through till season 2+).
Ya Parks and Rec is pretty lame until season 3 when Adam Scott and Rob Lowe come on. They make Pratt's chracter more loveable and completely change Aziz's character from a douche to dweeb. Ron Swanson makes season 1-2 still funny though.

• 1Like

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed the first season, but felt that:

The ending with the cans of sauce was kind of a cop out. We'll see what they do with the next season, but everything was going to shit and then they find what I'm assuming is the electrical company money and everything is fine?

Just finished this and really enjoyed it. My interpretation of the ending;

Mikey was taking loans from Cicero to put towards the restaurant but was self-aware enough to know he would fuck it up on his own, or would burn it on drugs. So he stashed the money (or had someone else do it for him?) in the tomato cans (you can see "KBL" on the bottom of the cans at the end, the 'electrical company' payouts were just a cover in the books). He offs himself and leaves Carmine the restaurant + the letter with the spaghetti recipe, which is basically the key to the hidden fortune. He's putting the business + money in the hands of someone more capable and telling him to make it into something great - "let it rip".

All the elements of the finale are in the first few minutes of the first episode - taking the spaghetti off the menu, his cousin hiding the letter instead of giving it to him, etc.

Renewed for season 2 btw.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I watched the first episode and it stressed me out - maybe because kitchen work is inherently stressful?

• 1Solidarity

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I used to be a chef (do consulting now) and this show gave me anxiety, was excellent and the closest depiction of a poorly run kitchen I have ever seen, yes some kitchen run like this and like on kitchen nightmares but I think a lot of it is like the worst of the worst all at once.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I worked in hospitality (mostly back of house) for like 14 years; legit immediately as the show started I started to get that little bit of adrenaline just from watching. Did the sous chef deal for a large portion of that (never actually wanted to be an exec; sous was just enough power to make changes but not be constantly on the chopping block) and that kitchen and it's kind of problems was very, very familiar. Usually not quite that bad, but back of house can get pretty gnarly.

The Sydney character (6 eps in) would have almost positively washed out without a narrative to keep her in. Culinary school kids are fucking -horrendous- in like 95% of cases. Usually slow and argumentative, which in a live kitchen is a real big problem. Lots of knowledge usually and their knife skills aren't horrible, but they typically lack the sense of urgency that a real kitchen requires.

This show is really good so far; first series I've seen in a bit that has kept my attention solidly for the entire episode.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
TV show information provided by The Movie Database