The Bear

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
first series I've seen in a bit that has kept my attention solidly for the entire episode.

I had this problem with virtually all shows. Putting my phone in another room helped keep my focus. I basically had to re-watch latest Stranger Things because first time round I was on my phone too much

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I typically watch a show with full interest until it isn't interesting (House of the Dragon - Which, and I mean this, it isn't as bad as advertised. It's just fucking slow) and then I usually pause and do other stuff for a bit/several hours/several days. The Bear? I only pause because I get a feeling of absolute deja vu or intense "adrenaline" watching shit go down. It's pretty goddamn spot on for the back of house feel.

I really enjoyed movies like Burnt and Chef, but I knew there was a lot of creative license taken (more Chef than Burnt) but hoooooly shit does this show capture all the things.

Will finish this afternoon - expect an edit or an addendum. Still, characters like Richie or Marcus would have been fucking leveled at most places because there is zero fucks given for your situation - do your job or get fucked. And Carmine absolutely embodies this so far. Stoked about the last two eps.

edit - seen the entire thing

Sydney is still one of the worst characters, and Marcus needs to just straight up be shit-canned. BUT. The ending was interesting, and I like the character interactions for all the other characters. It's really solid.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I typically watch a show with full interest until it isn't interesting (House of the Dragon - Which, and I mean this, it isn't as bad as advertised. It's just fucking slow) and then I usually pause and do other stuff for a bit/several hours/several days. The Bear? I only pause because I get a feeling of absolute deja vu or intense "adrenaline" watching shit go down. It's pretty goddamn spot on for the back of house feel.

I really enjoyed movies like Burnt and Chef, but I knew there was a lot of creative license taken (more Chef than Burnt) but hoooooly shit does this show capture all the things.

Will finish this afternoon - expect an edit or an addendum. Still, characters like Richie or Marcus would have been fucking leveled at most places because there is zero fucks given for your situation - do your job or get fucked. And Carmine absolutely embodies this so far. Stoked about the last two eps.

If you like chef stuff watch Boiling Point with Stephen Graham. It is on Netflix

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Also, 1999 documentary "Boiling point" is as solid as a documentary can get. No music, no flash, just good.

Marco Pierre White documentary from 1996 ish is great as well.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I couldn't (and still can't) put my finger on why I liked this show, but I really did. I enjoy that Matty Matheson's character was just a shitty repairman for the entire thing.

The 7th episode was something else. Only 21 minutes, and it felt fast, but holy shit was that stressful to watch.

The last episode, halfway through the AA scene, I realized that the entire monologue he was doing was in a single take. Not sure how long that ran for (10 min?), but damn that was impressive (like I said, once I realized it).

Episode 7 with single camera, single take was amazing.
I didn't notice this one, probably with how hectic it was. Almost want to rewatch it just to appreciate that.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Boiling Point, which I mentioned earlier, is a one-takemovie set in a kitchen

Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed it, but I feel like it was mostly because my first job was in a restaurant as a bus boy. Seemed to nail the whole thing (cliques of wait staff, bartenders, kitchen, and dish washers, and the friction that was always there with management always "helping" but making everyone's life more difficult), even though my memory is probably fuzzy from it being over twenty years ago and not nearly that fancy.

I felt like the last 20ish minutes was a bit over-dramatized, but probably necessary to have some kind of conclusion.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This is my favorite show currently. Everything is on point: writing, directing, acting, filling...

Especially great if you've read stuff like Kitchen Confidential.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jeremy Allen White is such an insanely good actor. Can't wait for season 2.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I really feel like we'll look back on this show as one of those ones that would've been perfect had it just been a one-off season and that by trying to milk it they destroy the entire thing.

I hope I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like it'll be as good the 2nd go around.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I have read that Park & Rec is kinda the same way, where season 1 is the weakest, but have never gotten around to downloading it (then powering through till season 2+).

Parks and rec also moved away from the faux documentary format. I had honestly forgotten that they started that way.

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
345651052_1395082897998603_5868285646576956223_n.jpg

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I know I like to shit on Hollywood for not coming up with anything worthwhile, but this is definitely a standout show.

Only watched the first episode, but it seems to be about the same quality. It's setting up with the obvious conflict being the money thing...again.

Not sure if I want to burn through the entire season or take it slow yet.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I finished this, it's a good show that gets a little bogged down by the constant conflict, but the end of season 2 was a bit better in that regard, with some actual character growth.

The only bad thing is episode 6. The family christmas episode. That is one of the worst episodes of TV I've ever seen in my entire life. It's an hour long shouting match and it's way, way too much

fat12

Trakanon Raider
An incredible season. When I found out they were going to make a season 2, I thought it silly and was just an attempt to ride the hype train that was built up from the first, but it definitely delivered on all fronts. The acting, the editing, cinematography. I'm very much excited for a season 3 now.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I am about halfway through this season, the storylines are semi interesting so far.

But holy #$%%, as a restaurant owner I can tell you they got the pre-opening issues down! I am re living all the emotions with paperwork, build out, cost analysis, etc. and it's not even a real place.

• 2Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I finished this, it's a good show that gets a little bogged down by the constant conflict, but the end of season 2 was a bit better in that regard, with some actual character growth.

The only bad thing is episode 6. The family christmas episode. That is one of the worst episodes of TV I've ever seen in my entire life. It's an hour long shouting match and it's way, way too much

Funny, just got done watching that episode and thought it was the best one of either season so far.

• 2Solidarity