The Beer Thread

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
This remind I was just telling my wife the other night I needed to get a bottle of wild turkey to compare to even williams. I haven't had it since I became bourbon only cause I found evan williams first. How do you compare sweetness between the two?

I honestly do not recall the last time I've ever had Evan Williams...

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
Kiroy Kiroy
Lost Virtue Lost Virtue
Just tried to request an EW v WT101 taste test. Unfortunately, there's no EW at this bar. Would have been a good virgin run on both (I think. Might have had wild turkey at a camp out in the white mountains like 15 years ago).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Kiroy Kiroy
Lost Virtue Lost Virtue
Just tried to request an EW v WT101 taste test. Unfortunately, there's no EW at this bar. Would have been a good virgin run on both (I think. Might have had wild turkey at a camp out in the white mountains like 15 years ago).

Maybe go for wt / makers mark taste test and compare the sweetness, will give you an idea of where it stands for the ew.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
IMG_3964.JPG

Maybe go for wt / makers mark taste test and compare the sweetness, will give you an idea of where it stands for the ew.
Might be too late. I ordered a Sam Adams Boston Lager... an admitted mistake. I haven't had this beer in a decade and it's pretty terrible. I am tired of bud light and this bar has no selection (see pic). Work tomorrow and getting late. I'll see if I can swing the taste test after the SA.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 123359

Might be too late. I ordered a Sam Adams Boston Lager... an admitted mistake. I haven't had this beer in a decade and it's pretty terrible. I am tired of bud light and this bar has no selection (see pic). Work tomorrow and getting late. I'll see if I can swing the taste test after the SA.

My wife is out of town next weekend so I'll have some prime 'taste testing' time. Gonna grab a pint of evan williams and a pint of wild turkey and will directly compare.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
My wife is out of town next weekend so I'll have some prime 'taste testing' time. Gonna grab a pint of evan williams and a pint of wild turkey and will directly compare.
I'll leave this one to you then. This random dude and his wife just offered to buy my a black Cadillac. I can't turn down free drinks.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
+1 for Evan Williams.

When not drinking Evan I drink 4 Roses single barrel or Knob Creek single barrel (which I haven't been about to find in SoCal yet)

Costco also had a very good 1 liter Tennessee bourbon (I think single barrel) which was only like $25 or something

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
accidentally drank 5 founders "pc pils" tonight, i'm a fan, and local store has 15 packs for 10 bucks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
I'll leave this one to you then. This random dude and his wife just offered to buy my a black Cadillac. I can't turn down free drinks.
Fwiw, don't ever drink a black Cadillac, even if it's free. Fucking sugary garbage shot. Cafe patron and baileys or something similar.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
View attachment 123359

Man, Boston Lager isn't that bad a beer. And the decoction mash in a modern brewery is absurd.

• 1Solidarity

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
While we're on the topic of the beer scene, this article by the founder of Modern Times does a really good job of explaining the purchase of craft brands by big beer and its consequences.

tl;dr - the sold craft label will probably still produce high quality beer, but it will be used to push smaller labels off shelves & taps through distribution muscle and the ability to price at a loss to kill competition.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Don't care. Lagunitas is great. It's found everywhere and it's a model of consistency. Never lets me down.

• 1Solidarity

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
While we're on the topic of the beer scene, this article by the founder of Modern Times does a really good job of explaining the purchase of craft brands by big beer and its consequences.

tl;dr - the sold craft label will probably still produce high quality beer, but it will be used to push smaller labels off shelves & taps through distribution muscle and the ability to price at a loss to kill competition.

The ramped up production of their acquisitions also makes some specific ingredients harder to come by for the smaller operations.