The Beer Thread

dieting for a month. im out of the beer game for at least that long.. so long
frown.png

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You can drink beer while losing weight. Just don't drink as much of it and account for it in your daily calories when you do drink it. I lost 45 pounds while still occasionally drinking beer.

If you "diet" down by cutting out beer temporarily, you'll just gain some of the weight back as soon as you start drinking it again. It's better to adjust your lifestyle to be healthier while still accommodating beer drinking.

Thought my fellow beer lovers might enjoy this - was watching Seal Team Six: The Raid on Osama Bin Laden on Netflix, and this frame popped up for a split second and I thought,

"hey that's Oskar Blue's Dale's Pale Ale, and it's delicious" So kudos to you, prop manager, for including a delicious off-beat selection:

4uqgQTg.png

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Azeth, I've lost 18 pounds since February 4th, and I haven't stopped drinking beer, I've just stopped being a fucking slob. Then again, my beer drinking is limited to weekends only, and I've made it a rule to basically only have two beers per night. St. Paddy's day that was NOT true, but I also forgot to eat and just fucking blacked out at the end of the night, so my caloric intake was actually fine... it was just pure Guinness, Bailey's, and Jameson.

But yeah, just don't be a sloppy mess who downs 6 beers and then eats a fucking bacon cheeseburger with fries and onion rings. Then again, every beer I drink is above 9% abv so two or three beers and I've got a good buzz.

gn0me_sl

shitlord
Cool story, I lost about 100lbs over 1.5 years while still maintaining a regular 1-2 beers per night. To be fair I was a huge fatty and had a lot of daily calories to work with. Regardless, you just gotta account for the calories somewhere, keep your metabolism going all day and avoid binge drinking.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Fuck me, brew pub messed me up last night. 72 beers on tap, most of them with far more alcohol in them than usual. Seven or eight pints and I was fucking loaded. The below list doesn't have the 10 rotationals they had on tap as well, which is mostly what I went with.

Mill Street Original Organic Lager
Grolsch Premium Lager
Harp Lager
Kronenbourg 1664
1516 Bavarian Lager
Warsteiner Premium Dunkel
Amber's Bud's Pale Ale
Wild Rose Velvet Fog
Van Diest Fr?li Strawberry Beer
Mill Street Lemon Tea Beer
Stiegl Radler
Strongbow
Sir Perry Pear Cider
Charlie Flints Original Lager
Creemore Springs Premium Lager
Sapporo Original Draft Beer
Stella Artois
Yellowhead Premium Lager
Pilsner Urquell
Steam Whistle Pilsner
Black Pilsner
Brewmaster's Black Lager
Yukon Gold
Boddingtons Pub Ale
Kitsilano Maple Cream Ale
Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale
Smithwick's Ale
Killer Bee Dark Honey Ale
Yukon Red Amber Ale
Fuller's London Pride
Granville Brockton IPA
Newcastle Brown Ale
Hazelnut Brown Nectar
Mill Street Cobblestone Stout
Innis And Gunn Oak Aged Beer
Hacker-Pschorr Heffe Wiesse
Robson Street Hefeweizen
Amber's Mountain Pepperberry Lager
What The Huck
Paddock Wood Red Hammer
Leffe Blonde
Dead Guy Ale
Full Moon Pale Ale
Anchor Liberty Ale
Fuller's ESB
Mill Street Tankhouse Ale
Blood Alley Extra Special Bitter
Yellow Snow IPA
Corne Du Diable
Angry Scotch Ale
Fuller's London Porter
Alberta Crude Oatmeal Stout
Yukon Midnight Sun Espresso Stout
Blanche de Chambly
Erdinger Weissbier Dunkel
Hophead Imperial IPA
Peche Mortel
Lindeman's Framboise
Chimay Tripel (White)
Delirium Tremens
La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven/Dominus)
Bernardus Abt 12

Ah, found the rotation:http://www.undergroundtapandgrill.com/rotatingtap.php

Memory is fuzzy, but I think I went with a Hop Head Double IPA, Indica IPA, Vache Folle Milk Stout, Hoptimus Prime, Three Philosophers, and one or two others. All were pretty delicious. Also our server was bored with only me and my bud to wait on, so she kept bringing over little samplers of everything else as well.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So it has been a busy beer week for me. First found two new IPA's/Breweries at the local store this week that I loved. Not sure how much you will find them outside of the Pacific Northwest, but figured I'd post about them anyways.

First wasDefender IPA by Goodlife Brewing Co.out of Bend Oregon. If you like a Northwest style IPA you will enjoy this.

Second was both the regular and ImperialIPA's by No-Li Brewingout of Spokane, WA. Their imperial had great balance with a strong (but not overpowering) malt backbone.

Yesterday I went to a beer rally at the state capitol to protest a proposed 425% increase in the beer excise tax. Little background, they want to increase WA's beer excise tax all the way up to $23 a barrel, vs the $2.60 that breweries in Oregon pay. If it goes through it would be devastating to WA craft brewers. First time in my life I have ever participated in any sort of political rally or protest.

Finally, got my homebrewing operation up and running again. Have a double IPA mashing as I type this. Haven't brewed all winter because I can't keep the temp in my house constant enough for fermentation. Need to build a fermentation chamber bad.

rrr_img_21864.jpg

Troll_sl

shitlord
That's why I love living in Oregon. We would seriously burn shit down if anyone even MENTIONED raising the per-barrel. Not just protest like you pansy Washingtonians.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I finally had a chance to get some Dayman Coffee IPA on draft last night, and it's probably the best coffee beer I've ever had. Had three.

rrr_img_21865.jpg

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
North Coast Pranqster is fucking amazing. Just found out about it from my local liquor store - limited stock. Really good belgian ale.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
yeah, not really sure what the shit is up with raising barrel taxes on beer. there's a proposed 600% increase on MN's barrel tax. Which only hits the local breweries, none of the "big 3"... it's even more fucked, as the largest (or second largest) had posted the actual math that shows that the barrel tax would then exceed every other expense they have including salary and component costs. I don't understand how that is even an option.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
yeah, not really sure what the shit is up with raising barrel taxes on beer. there's a proposed 600% increase on MN's barrel tax. Which only hits the local breweries, none of the "big 3"... it's even more fucked, as the largest (or second largest) had posted the actual math that shows that the barrel tax would then exceed every other expense they have including salary and component costs. I don't understand how that is even an option.
Big 3 have a huge war chest and an inferior product. Expect them to explore all kinds of methods to keep their market share.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It's like what Lenin said...

rrr_img_22155.jpg

gn0me_sl

shitlord
I finally had a chance to get some Dayman Coffee IPA on draft last night, and it's probably the best coffee beer I've ever had. Had three.

rrr_img_21865.jpg
Had this on tap at a great bar in town a couple weeks ago. Holy shit it was great. Second coffee IPA I've tried. First was a year back at Migration, it was solid. This is a style I'm really beginning to like.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It has inspired me. I'm going to get some ingredients and try making a coffee IPA this weekend.