The Beer Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So my wife brought home a bottle of this last night from the store. She just bought it because she liked the pink bottle...I don't even know what to think. I'm a little scared to try it. Peanut butter, banana, chocolate ale? WTF?
Rogue-VooDoo-Doughnut-ChocolatePBBanana-Ale-2.jpg

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So my wife brought home a bottle of this last night from the store. She just bought it because she liked the pink bottle...I don't even know what to think. I'm a little scared to try it. Peanut butter, banana, chocolate ale? WTF?
Rogue-VooDoo-Doughnut-ChocolatePBBanana-Ale-2.jpg
has to be better than the maple bacon.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Tried like hell to find white chocolate moo-hoo during it's release but it has apparently already been sold out completely. Fuck.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Mens Room Black is back on the shelves. If you get Elysian beers distributed near you ask your local store/bottle shop to get some of this in stock.

While Elysian is always serious about beer (kind of), the guys on KISW's Mens Room (the afternoon radio show) are not exactly cerebral or sophisticated. I imagine they'd be the first to admit it. That doesn't mean they're stupid or careless. In fact, they are just the opposite. Working in conjunction, Elysian and KISW have been using Mens Room Original Red as a tool to raise funds for a very worthy cause: our nation's wounded warriors and their families. Since 2009, proceeds from the sale of Men's Room Red have amounted to more than $200,000 in donations to the Fisher House, which provides a "home away from home" for families of Veterans receiving care at the VA Puget Sound Health Care System and families of active duty personnel who have loved ones in other area facilities.
rrr_img_51135.jpg

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You live anywhere near Canada? If so get Rickard's Red. If not Harpoon makes a good red but it might be seasonal. That one is called Celtic Ale.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
problem with the "Men's Room Red" is that it's shitty beer. I'm sure the back in black is fine, but the Red was just mediocre at best (and honestly made me skip out on even visiting Elysium when I was in town).

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, the Mens Room Red is meant to be "accessible" and "drinkable" which generally means it isn't very interesting. It is also important to find it fresh because what little hop-flavor there is will be completely aged out and dissipated if it has been longer than a month since it has been bottled. I will still pick up a sixer of it here and there because I really love what they do with that beer and the Fisher House and love supporting that. Also if I'm in the mood for something lighter the Red is a nice alternative to whatIwould call shitty beer (I think boring beers and shitty beers are two different things). The Black on the other hand is a different monster, strong malt backbone and very hop forward, especially for an Imperial Red ale.

Elysian themselves are a solid brewery, although they tend to be stronger on their malt-forward styles. Definitely many other great (and better) choices in the Seattle area, but I think they are the best of the 'bigger' craft breweries in the area (Pyramid, Red Hook, etc.).

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I can't remember if I ever commented on the Warlock or not. It wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't anything good. The flavors didn't really complement each other at all. I was able to drink the 22 no problem but I had no appetite for another.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am more of a fan of Rogue Dead Guy is one of my favorite ales and Widmer Hefe is my favorite beer period. Iron Horse Irish Death is also fantastic in my opinion.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Widmer Hefe is decent but there are a lot of hefe's and belgian whites (real belgian whites, not that blue moon stuff) that are better in my opinion. Have you had Paulaner, Franziskaner or Weihenstephan? For American versions of the hefe Stoudts makes a really good one called heifer in wheat and Butternuts also makes a good one called heineweisse.