The Beer Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
4.0% ABV!? Not sure I'm dying to try it.
Most sours aren't going to be huge ABV, as the alcohol will overwhelm the sour taste. You might get the occasional 10% or 11% bottle, but most will be in the 4% (berlinerweiss) to 7% range (Flander's Red/Flemish Brown). Sometime a sour(ed) Imperial Stout or Imperial Brown.

Seriously though, Oarsman is a great beer with a low ABV. I'm not a college freshman drinking to get shithoused anymore, I'm drinking for flavor (and if I'm drinking to get shithoused I'm drinking bourbon anyways).

drinking it this week
also:

8Cld0Sh.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Tangentally related but has anyone ever made their own mead? Looking online it looks pretty damn simple.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Bells Oarsman ale may be the absolute worst beer I've ever had in my life. Tasted like someone bottled vomit.
Did you try it again? I know it's sour, but it should be tart not vomitastic. There are some wtf beers (Gouden Carolus Christmas, I'm looking at you), but a berlinerweisse isn't supposed to be a super strong flavor. Could be you got a bad bottle/batch.

speaking of sours/farmhouse, i'm unsure if any of you outside Mass would have even heard of this brewery - The Tap, formerly Haverhill Brewery.

They have "Field Guide" and "Intergalactic Acid" if you can find them both A to A+.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Bells Oarsman ale may be the absolute worst beer I've ever had in my life. Tasted like someone bottled vomit.
I really love oarsmen, but there are some serious quality control issues. I've never gotten as many bad sixers of a single beer as oarsman. I know that taste. It's not what it's supposed to taste like.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Maybe I just got a 6er from a bad batch or something. May have to try it again if I ever see it on tap, or have a chance to purchase an individual bottle or something.

There are plenty of beers I don't really like, but none that are so heinous that I can't even drink 1 bottle of it, Oarsman was the 1 beer that I could only drink half a bottle of. Surely that had to just be a bad batch, or had been sitting around too long or something.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Only beer I can remember not finishing in recent memory was a bacon flavor... stout, maybe? from Rogue brewery. Was in a pink bottle and it was pretty god awful.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Only beer I can remember not finishing in recent memory was a bacon flavor... stout, maybe? from Rogue brewery. Was in a pink bottle and it was pretty god awful.
Rogue is a cool brewery for experimenting with unique flavors, but many of them don't turn out so well. The Chipotle Ale was very disappointing.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I always felt the Rogue went to far with their adjuncts. Rather than having complementary notes of flavor, the beer just taste like a juice of whatever they added to the beer (bacon juice, chipotle juice, etc).

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Maybe I just got a 6er from a bad batch or something. May have to try it again if I ever see it on tap, or have a chance to purchase an individual bottle or something.

There are plenty of beers I don't really like, but none that are so heinous that I can't even drink 1 bottle of it, Oarsman was the 1 beer that I could only drink half a bottle of. Surely that had to just be a bad batch, or had been sitting around too long or something.
Yeah, I'm willing to bet it's a bad batch. You have to be careful with sours they can go to bad places if they aren't cared for (or wonderful places, really). I'd be wary of single bottles. Get a 6er again, if it's the same off flavor in it (or bad), contact Bell's to see if you can get a refund or a coupon for a different 6er.

Voodoo Donut Maple Bacon Ale, and it was not good.

I always felt the Rogue went to far with their adjuncts. Rather than having complementary notes of flavor, the beer just taste like a juice of whatever they added to the beer (bacon juice, chipotle juice, etc).
I don't mind some of their beers, some of them helped get me into drink good beer... but they are assholes. Google up the job ad they posted and the critique of it. They just seem douchey.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
However the Rogue donut chocolate peanut butter banana wasn't bad. Really faint hints of chocolate and banana, but I didn't really pick up any peanut butter in the flavor.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I find that dogfish has the same problem. Just way too over the top with their "creativity". In fact the only beer outside of their IPA that I can even stomach is the red and white.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Midas Touch is drinkable. But I find the Miles Davis Bitches Brew absolutely abhorrent.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Festina P?che is/was great. Again, another 4pk of Berlinerweisse though.