The Beer Thread

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm currently drinking a Newcastle Bombshell and it is quite possibly the worst summer beer I've ever had. It's so incredibly...bland. Like water.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The three-tiered system has more or less been dismantled here in WA, but funny thing is despite what all the naysayers thought distributors still have their place here and really are thriving. Self distribution allows for a brewery to control their growth but eventually they can't match the distribution efficiencies a dedicated distributor gives them so the cost benefits are a wash so they sign on to more easily facilitate growth.
Right, and that's how it should be. You(the brewer) should be allowed to dictate when you need that help with distributing, not the government.

I'll check out that documentary. Thanks.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Just discovered some pint can 6-packs from Pizza Port, and things will never be the same. Drinking Swami's IPA right now, should have bought 12.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Bought of a bottle of La Chouffe on a whim at Total Wine and now I wish I would have bought a few more. Definitely a thumbs up from me.

ivaWZTC.jpg

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Bought of a bottle of La Chouffe on a whim at Total Wine and now I wish I would have bought a few more. Definitely a thumbs up from me.
All of their beers are fantastic, even though incredibly limited. They don't have 50 types, they just have a handful of amazing and proven beers. I had their winter beer a year back, probably one of the top winter beers I've had.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What the hell is a "winter beer"? You need to be at least a little more specific. Porter, Stout, Winter Lager, Winter Ale, Nut Brown, Eisbock, Doppelbock, Black... Anything? You know what's actually really good in the colder months of the year? Sours.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
What the hell is a "winter beer"? You need to be at least a little more specific. Porter, Stout, Winter Lager, Winter Ale, Nut Brown, Eisbock, Doppelbock, Black... Anything? You know what's actually really good in the colder months of the year? Sours.
Their winter seasonal beer, it is a dark ale... "winter beer" = winter seasonal beer if you don't understand...

Sours are good all year around, but I would not consider them a great winter beer. Give me a Stout, Quad, Dark/Strong Ale, Barleywine for the winter, something that has enough ABV to warm you up.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, many breweries release a "winter seasonal" without any further accompanying information as to what style it is. But generally dark, malty and boozy is what you can expect.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Place where I buy gas just installed taps and sell growlers now, my drinking is going to be on the rise because of this.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The gas station growler fill has been coming into a lot of gas stations in my area as well. Tricky part is remembering to bring your growlers. If I'm heading to the brewery I usually remember to grab it but if I am just out and about the odds of having an empty are low. However, one of these makes it easier to keep growlers with you at all times:

rrr_img_68274.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Growler laws must vary a lot by state. Here in MO you can't fill/sell growlers unless something like 50% or more of your gross receipts are food. So liquor stores and gas stations can't fill growlers, and neither can actual breweries, only restaurants can do it.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
What is a growler? 64oz? I don't know if I've ever seen them in south Florida and I've definitely not seen places you can get them filled.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Some Google-fu says retail can sell them, but I don't recall seeing them anywhere here.

Oirsm1a.png

Vitality

HUSTLE
I think they range in size, 32-64oz seems about right. Most breweries will do a refill option if you bring your own. Atleast out here in WA they do.

rrr_img_68342.jpg

opiate82

Bronze Squire
What is a growler? 64oz? I don't know if I've ever seen them in south Florida and I've definitely not seen places you can get them filled.
Yes, a growler is generally a 64oz, or sometimes a 2-Liter (~68oz) container and is a very popular choice for breweries to use for off premise sales. In Florida, a brewery can fill either a 32oz or 128oz container off the tap for off premise sales, but the distributors and InBev have fought very hard to ensure efforts to legalize the filling of "growlers" by breweries remains illegal in that state.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yes, a growler is generally a 64oz, or sometimes a 2-Liter (~68oz) container and is a very popular choice for breweries to use for off premise sales. In Florida, a brewery can fill either a 32oz or 128oz container off the tap for off premise sales, but the distributors and InBev have fought very hard to ensure efforts to legalize the filling of "growlers" by breweries remains illegal in that state.
That's probably why it's so restrictive here in Missouri. Home of Anhueser-Busch. They run the state where beer/alcohol is concerned.