The Beer Thread

Needless

Toe Sucker
I finally got around to trying:Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel, some tasty shiet right there.
I love me some of that German goodness!

Oddly they didn't have the non dark version though where i got it, which was kind of a disappointment. I wanted to try the non dark as well

I'm curious about anything similar, that isn't Erdinger/Hacker-Pshorr

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
If you really REALLY like the banana/clove flavor...

Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus | Weisses Bräuhaus G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH | Kelheim, Germany | BeerAdvocateorhttp://www.ratebeer.com/beer/schneider-aventinus/2224/
Label changed a bit ago.

I don't like banana and don't like Hefes normally. But I'll drink that beer if I can find it. Careful you don't get the Eisbock (stronger malt backbone, much higher ABV) if you're buying.

But yeah, I like those more than the Weihenstephaner, but it's a different class/style of beer.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I finally got around to trying:Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel, some tasty shiet right there.

Oddly they didn't have the non dark version though where i got it, which was kind of a disappointment. I wanted to try the non dark as well

Paulaner, Franziskaner and Hofbrau all also make very good Hefeweizen's. Paulaner is probably my favorite of the bunch.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
There should be some decent local options if you want lighter hefeweizens, but that might just be the midwest and it's strong german heritage. Fucking nazis popping up everywhere.

Khane

Well if we're going American breweries too there are plenty of very good ones.

Heineweisse (Butternut's), Heifer-in-Wheat (Stoudt's) are 2

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'll take a look for those next time i'm at the liquor store. I doubt i'll find any of those local US brews though, we don't get very many of them up in the great white north.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'll take a look for those next time i'm at the liquor store. I doubt i'll find any of those local US brews though, we don't get very many of them up in the great white north.
Where are you from again?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Weihenstephaner and Franziskaner are excellent. I don't enjoy most hefes, but those two are more "full" than your typical hefe. Thankfully, both are also pretty easy to find around here.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If you guys have access to Rhinegeist it is very, very good.

P2091863.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
If you guys have access to Rhinegeist it is very, very good.

P2091863.jpg
Back in February, I traded some brews with a bro back in Cincy. I sent him some Pliny the Elder and he sent me a sixer of Bell's Hopslam with some 'Nati beers thrown in. All these breweries have popped up since I moved out so I was pretty excited. Of all the local brews I tried, I found MadTree to be vastly superior to Rhinegeist. Rhinegeist does have a great can design though. I've heard Fifty West is really good but I haven't tried it. When I visit for Christmas I'm going to try them all out.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My parents just picked me up this IPA since they love the Cinci brewing scene. I found it to stand toe to toe with Great Lakes Commodore Perry in the "everyday drinkable" category if IPAs I arbitrarily keep. But I'll keep a lookout for the MadTree brewing as well.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Where are you from again?
Calgary, Alberta

Most imports are easy to find, but i rarely see any of the typical american beers... which is very odd. (other than shitty domestic crap). Like... we just started getting mainstream stuff like Shocktop in the last 3-4 months or so.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider

Weihenstephaner is above all other hefe's in my opinion. One of my favorite summer beers by far. Incredibly complex and refreshing for the summer temperatures... The dunkelweizen and the original are also incredibly good as you've probably noticed with the one you've had.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So I just read about this brewery in the process of trying to get opened in Kirkland (near Seattle) that is facing pushback from a very vocal minority. This is a letter they sent to the Kirkland city council in opposition of the brewery (bolded the noteworthy part):

Dear City of Kirkland,

This letter is regarding the Chainline Brewing Company microbrewery liquor and business license application for 503 6th Street S, Kirkland, WA 98033.

I am a concerned parent of a dancer at the International Ballet Academy (IBA) located next door to the proposed microbrewery, and writing this letter in objection to the above-mentioned business being able to be licensed for alcohol and located at the address above.

IBA is a premier dance academy which attracts students from the entire Eastside and the greater Seattle area. The Academy feeds into the International Ballet Theatre, which performs 4-5 productions each year at the Meydenbauer Center and will also perform at the Kirkland Performance Center.

The IBA is situated in a building complex which houses a number of other youth-oriented activities. Located next to the IBA is the Kirkland Music Academy which is busy during the same hours. Also in the complex is the AMC Kickboxing gym, busy during the same hours - afternoon and into the evening. The IBA has a constant flow of young children and youth. The company operates six days a week. During productions it is open seven days a week for rehearsals. Many of the dancers practice 6-9 hours a day not leaving the studio until well after dark. Next door to the IBA is the Kirkland Music Academy which also has a continual flow of young children and youth. Finally, at the end of the business complex is a gym also attracting many young students. These students are often in the parking lot working out, running the entire length of the lot, or performing various crossfit activities outdoors.

The sale and consumption of alcohol on the premises will lead to increased risk to the children at the International Ballet Academy, Kirkland Music Academy, and AMC gym due to poor driving and impaired judgment of those consuming alcohol.

Our objections are:

1. There is insufficient parking for the retail use planned. The parking lot at this business complex is extremely congested during our busy hours of 3:30-9:30p. Traffic down 6th parking lot which has only two entrances and is already often full to capacity with the current business. In addition to the traffic impact of this type of business, many parents are already forced to drop their students off near the entrance which leaves the children to navigate their way to the appropriate facility through congested parking lot. Because this complex targets children/youth activities, most parents entering the parking lot know to be extremely cautious.

2. The addition of a brewery and the customers it would attract creates unnecessary risk to our children in the parking lot. Obtaining a liquor license infers that alcohol will be consumed on the premise. Therefore, many of the patrons of the brewery will be driving drunk or under the influence. This creates an avoidable risk to all students entering and leaving this facility.

3. I am also concerned about the consumption of alcohol near our youth. In addition to intoxication around our children being inappropriate, many of the girls dance 6-9 hours a day. The girls often take breaks on the front patio, just steps from the brewery, and walk to and from their cars before and after dance classes. These are girls becoming shapely young women in form fitting leotards and tights. Alcohol added to this equation creates a huge risk to these young women. One of the great attractions of the International Ballet Academy is that present feeling of safety and security. The brewery creates a huge safety issue with adult males that are either drunk or under the influence.

Finally, it is our understanding that the business park where the Chainline Brewery is located is zoned industrial. We do understand that a microbrewery may fall into this category, however, this area is not designated for a tavern. How is a "tasting room" different from any establishment that serves hard alcohol?

The International Ballet Academy provides beautiful art to Kirkland and the Eastside and is a huge asset to the community, attracting dancers and their families that feed our local economy from as far away as Tacoma and from Seattle proper, every night.

I know the Kirkland City Council supports youth. I hope you will carefully reconsider your approval of this location. We are also approaching the liquor control board and objecting to the license. To you, City of Kirkland, we object to the approval of this location for this purpose. Thank you for helping to keep the City of Kirkland safe for our youth and our families.
I didn't realize my love for beer was slowly turning me into a child rapist.

Khane

It isn't slowly doing that. It does it the second you take one sip. These are all valid concerns.

Solution: provide blindfolds for all patrons of the new brewery.

As a citizen who is concerned for the safety of our youth as well I am considering writing a letter to the NHL asking them to ensure their players no longer fight and to consider adding penalties for any contact whatsoever as our young sons may start fighting as they blossom into the springtime of adolescence

Needless

Toe Sucker
I personally have to put on a horse blinder anytime i sip a beer to ward out any view of yoga pants, tights etc.
100% chance to rape after any alcohol.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

Of Weihenstephaner's offerings I've had the original, dunkel, hefe, and krystall. All are excellent with the krystall being my favorite (and hardest to find here .... figures).

I also tried Yuengling's Summer Wheat recently and was shocked at just how close it tasted to Franziskaner. Not quite as good but a great showing for an American hefeweizen.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Coop liquor has a good selection for weissbeer Needles. They should have regular weihenstephaner. Konig Ludwig or meisel weisse are also good and available there.

A lot of Canadian breweries offer good weissbeers, but there is little reason to buy them since we have so many Bavarian beers here.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So my local Costco has started selling 22oz bombers of beer. Most noteworthy was the 4 pack of Stone beers which included IPA, Ruination, RuinTen and Subliminally Self-Righteous. All 4 for $14.99 which is less than half the price than if I bought them individually at the grocery store or my local bottle shop. Was also my first time having RuinTen which was delicious. Just as hoppy as Enjoy By but with a much bolder malt backbone.

rrr_img_72659.jpg

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Keep checking with Costco on liquors (beer too). They got the 24pk of Sierra Nevada's collab Beer Camp. I hadn't seen it anywhere else except there (12pks were around but quickly sold out).