The Beer Thread

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know of a good IPA that is widely available?

Getting sick of Racer 5, Lagunitas and Victory Dirtwolf.
6% + only need apply.

Also, Anything Dogfishhead is trash.
Something byDeschutes? No idea about their distribution and have only had one of their IPA's, but it and the other beers I've had are all great.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Seconded.
Firestone was going to be my "widely available IPA" recommendation. While technically a double (checks in at 8% ABV I believe), Green Flash West Coast IPA is excellent as well.

Also these guys tend to get passed over but anything by Sierra Nevada is solid and right now you should be able to find Celebration which uses just harvested hops from this year's crop. Their Boomerang IPA featuring southern hemisphere hops is also excellent. Their regular flagship Torpedo is alright but nothing spectacular imo.

*edit: Also I know you thought Stone was overrated (what?) but I think Ruination 2.0 is probably the best "widely available" double IPA on the market right now. Also if you find their Sorry Not Sorry IPA that is also worth picking up a bomber, don't be scared off by the peaches, it is very subtle and plays amazing with the hops.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ballast point can be picked up in MA. Not a fan
Stone is overrated as shit.
Founders is OK... nothing excellent
Flying Dog is a terrible brewery in general

Haven't heard of Schafly or Bells. Will have to see if its distro'd in MA..
I think you just have bad taste, I would recommend a Bud Light if none of those breweries work for you.....

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Ballast point can be picked up in MA. Not a fan
Stone is overrated as shit.
Founders is OK... nothing excellent
Flying Dog is a terrible brewery in general

Haven't heard of Schafly or Bells. Will have to see if its distro'd in MA..
Clown Shoes?

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
Went to London recently and brought back a few bottles. Seems they've upped their craft beer game in the last few years when I was there last. Being mostly a stout guy, I was sad to see this time of year is apparently IPA and Pale time there from my limited experience (I was there for a wedding so didn't get a whole lot of time to explore). Kernel's Imperial Brown Stout was probably my favorite local standout. I also brought back some Wild Beer Co chocolate espresso vanilla stout that was pretty nice and Brew By Numbers Export Stout. Bought some BrewDog stuff while there too; Black Eyed King Imperial (Vietnamese coffee version) and their Big D Imperial Stout - really wish I'd brought a second checked back to fill up on those, definitely doing that next time. I very nearly grabbed a Sink the Bismark IPA (42% abv, wtf?) but at 60 pounds a bottle and not being an IPA guy I passed :/

I skipped Bourbon County this year to go to Firestone for Parabajava's release. Ended up scoring a few extra by taking family from Thanksgiving, as well as a couple bottles of their collaboration sour with Wild Beer Co, Violet Underground. It's going to be a good holiday season
wink.png
On my way back from Firestone I stopped by Barrel House in Paso and snagged a few bottles of their Grog, a brown sugar ale aged in rum barrels - it's definitely a dessert beer, it's like drinking a 12.4 ABV soda.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
On my way back from Firestone I stopped by Barrel House in Paso and snagged a few bottles of their Grog, a brown sugar ale aged in rum barrels - it's definitely a dessert beer, it's like drinking a 12.4 ABV soda.
Barrel House is so good. Great spot.

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
Barrel House is so good. Great spot.
Yeah, for how relatively new they are they make some great stuff. Their Curly Wolf maple stout is probably my fav of what they make, though I also like their berry saison.

I was sad I didn't get time to swing in to Bristol Cider House while up for turkey day. Not sure if you've been, but I recommend it too if you like hopped or barrel aged ciders. It's pretty much next door to JoeBella Coffee off the Del Rio exit between Paso and Atown. I'm definitely making time around Christmas to have a flight and get some bottles.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have a friend who's a winemaker (surprise, surprise) in Paso. I go down there a couple times a year to visit and I'll likely be going to theFirestone Walker Invitationalin June. I'm sure we'll be making the rounds.

If you're into sours, you should head over to Morro Bay and check out Libertine next time.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I picked up a couple of 6 packs of Baltimore-Washington Beer Works stuff and it was pretty good. I just got the Wit and Lager but both were very tasty. Was pleasantly surprised.

label special lager.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Found another local place with a stock of Rodenbach Caract?re Rouge, probably a dozen bottles. Hopefully it hangs around long enough for me to put a dent in their supply with my Christmas cash.

Ceythos_sl

shitlord
I have a friend who's a winemaker (surprise, surprise) in Paso. I go down there a couple times a year to visit and I'll likely be going to theFirestone Walker Invitationalin June. I'm sure we'll be making the rounds.

If you're into sours, you should head over to Morro Bay and check out Libertine next time.
Nice - I really should get more into the wine given how often I'm in the central coast. So far my favorites are Donatoni and Chronic Cellars, but I've still got a lot of exploring to do.

I keep meaning to get to Libertine's. One of my buddies in Atascadero always shares a bottle or two of their stuff when I visit and it's been pretty solid every time. I really don't have an excuse either, I get to Morro Bay probably every other trip up there, my mother in-law loves Taco Temple (great seafood and Mexican food if you've never been, only drawback is they only take cash) so we usually go out to dinner there.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Nice, I like all those. Wish I could find some more of the bourbon barrel quad around here.

Just opened a Love Child No. 4 and holy hell this bottle is almost undrinkably sour. Had it plenty of times and this is just crazy. Don't know if it is a batch thing or just a 'bad' bottle.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Nice, I like all those. Wish I could find some more of the bourbon barrel quad around here.

Just opened a Love Child No. 4 and holy hell this bottle is almost undrinkably sour. Had it plenty of times and this is just crazy. Don't know if it is a batch thing or just a 'bad' bottle.
I almost bought that too, but decided not to

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Love Child #4 is almost 2 years old at this point. It was originally brewed and bottled around Feb/March 2014. Probably got a lot more potent from the aging. Love Child#5 hit stores around March of this year, and #6 should only be a few months away at this point.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I picked up a 4 pack of Off Color Brewing's Dinosmores yesterday.

Dinosmores | Off Color Brewing | BeerAdvocate

It's good but I wouldn't pay $22 for a 4 pack again. I also picked up some Troeg's Java Head Stout which is the closes thing to a CDA I can get on the east coast. I enjoy that beer.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm sure a lot of you have tried Breury beers, but if you get a chance to grab their holiday yearly release this years is a chocolate milk stout. 8 Maids a milking. I believe it's 11.2% ABV and tastes like a 6%. Would recommend. I had a dinosmores after having this one the other day and it was almost impossible to enjoy the dinosmores.

That being said - any forum members out near Russian River in California that would want to do some trades?