The Beer Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Went out for a work dinner last night and had some beer...

Drank theBlue Sundayby New Holland and wasn't really impressed. It was ok, but there was some buttery taste (diacetyl?) at the end. Sad that it was my night cap as the Dragon's Milk, La Folie, and Farm Girl Saison I had with dinner were all great.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Drinking a Black IPA from a newer local(ish) brewery and I'm super impressed. It's sort of odd though, as I know the guy used to be one of the brewers at Bud before leaving for another job that he left to start a brewery in Duluth. All the craft/crafty folks talk shit about M/B/C but all of the brewers I've met from there have been fucking amazing.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
If there is one thing to give credit to BMC for is that they help perpetuate a lot of brewing innovations that are used today. The only reason Dogfish-Head beer makes it to the west coast is because Budweiser basically invented (and created a demand for) the refrigerated train car. I know a lot of brewers actually like working there because they get to play with the latest and greatest in brewing toys and learn a lot from the experience.

Unfortunately they still make their beer as flavorless as possible to cater to the masses and use shitty adjuncts in their beer and try to crush the competition with their massive amounts of advertising dollars and by perpetuating a virtual monopoly on beer distribution where outdated prohibition era laws allow them to do so.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't really care, as long as beer prices remain relatively low. I have no problem paying the extra money to get quality, high abv beer... the problem I'm afraid of getting a scaling system like fucking wine, where bottles are over $100 for absolutely no god damn reason. I've already seen single 12 oz beers getting priced at over $30 because "they're from Belgium." Suck my dick, it's from Jersey.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I don't really care, as long as beer prices remain relatively low. I have no problem paying the extra money to get quality, high abv beer... the problem I'm afraid of getting a scaling system like fucking wine, where bottles are over $100 for absolutely no god damn reason. I've already seen single 12 oz beers getting priced at over $30 because "they're from Belgium." Suck my dick, it's from Jersey.
Best thing you can do: don't buy it, and tell them it's overpriced. There's a sour that just came out around here by a really good (and really hyped up) brewery. It's a great beer, and the 22oz bomber goes for $16-$18 most places. I walked into the closest craft place, and it was $25 a bottle. After I asked if there was any left, the owner pointed it out. I told him at that price I just can't buy it, and then went and bought it somewhere else (that was reasonably cheap).

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Paid a visit to Specs this weekend (huge liquor/beer warehouse, not sure if they have them outside of Texas). Went looking for Avery's Demons of Ale series, they didn't have anything. So used some board recommendations instead...

Victory's Golden Monkey- forgot I had this on tap at Meddlesome Moth in Dallas. Strong ale (think like 9.5%?). Good taste. Would recommend. B+

Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye- holy shit. Possibly the most bitter IPA I've ever tasted. Every drink made me grimace, but strangely addicting. After swallowing, I actually wanted more, despite the pain. C+

Unibroue's La Fin du Monde- the best purchase. Quite pricey at $14 for 4-pack, but worth it. It's like a tastier version of Franziskaner. A+

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm glad you enjoyed Golden Monkey and La Fin du Monde, but how the hell do you compare it to Franziskaner? They're nothing alike...

Talking a wheat beer vs. a triple. You would've been better off comparing Golden Monkey and La Fin du Monde straight up.

taebin

Yeah I thought it was really weird too Itlan. I know the Franz is a Hefe, but I swear the du Monde tastes like one to me. Co-worker says du Monde tastes like bubblegum to him. Oh well, enjoyed none the less.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye- holy shit. Possibly the most bitter IPA I've ever tasted. Every drink made me grimace, but strangely addicting. After swallowing, I actually wanted more, despite the pain. C+
Welcome to the wonderful world of IPAs. Try Rampage from New Belgium. I haven't had it yet, but from the numbers (and reviews) it sounds pretty good. It's an imperial IPA though, so you'll get shithoused if you just start going to town on them. Also, part of that bitterness is from the spice of the Rye.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah I thought it was really weird too Itlan. I know the Franz is a Hefe, but I swear the du Monde tastes like one to me. Co-worker says du Monde tastes like bubblegum to him. Oh well, enjoyed none the less.
Hefeweizens and Belgian Trippels share some similarities in taste, so it's not shocking you think they taste the same. If you tried them side by side, you would notice differences. Trippels are also 8-9% abv, whereas Hefes are 5-6%. May want to session with hefes.

If you liked La Fin, you may also like New Belgium's Trippel. Since you are in Texas, Real Ale's Devil's Backbone is also a good trippel. And since you like Franziskaner, make sure you try Live Oak Hefeweizen if you haven't already. They only keg, so you'll have to look for it on tap. Seriously good beer.

taebin

Will try em out. Any place you've found in particular that has Live Oak on tap regularly?

Guvnah

Lord Nagafen Raider
Had about 4 x 12ozFounder's Bolt Cutter(15% Barleywine) in St. Louis on Saturday night. The place we were hanging out had recently hosted a Founder's event so they also had '11 and '12 imperial stout, '12 breakfast stout and backwoods bastard.

Shit got weird.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Weird in a good way I hope! Sounds like a perfect place for people who don't know what they're drinking to get fucked up, which is always fun.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Had about 4 x 12ozFounder's Bolt Cutter(15% Barleywine) in St. Louis on Saturday night. The place we were hanging out had recently hosted a Founder's event so they also had '11 and '12 imperial stout, '12 breakfast stout and backwoods bastard.

Shit got weird.
Nice, I adore most of the founder's stuff. If you like hoppy they have the all-day IPA that's 4.7% ABV and pretty damn good.

lets-get-weird-workaholics.gif