The Beer Thread

Duppin_sl

shitlord
Ah, fuck that then. I thought it'd be a more convenient way to keep beer I like on hand. If I want to drink with other people I go to a bar.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Growlers are good for local breweries that don't distribute everything they make... like Half Acre in Chicago. They will tap kegs of some awesome stuff that they won't can and distribute so you have to get it in a growler if you want it.

and when they tap some of the rare stuff, you guys would laugh at the neckbeards that wait in line for it. It's like a new iPhone release.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
There are some devices out there that will purge your growler of O2 making the shelf-life of an opened growler longer if you just want a pint from your growler. But as other have said, unless it is some beer you can't otherwise get off premise they usually aren't worth it. I personally just like collecting growlers from different breweries, but I rarely get them filled after the initial purchase.

rrr_img_61275.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm trying to decide if I can drink my moneys worth in the 4-hour all you can drink and eat for $75. I think I can.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Set $20 aside as the cost of the food (maybe a little high depending on the type/quality of the food, but I digress) and figure what, $5 per pint beer price? 11 beers in 4 hours, or just under 3 beers an hour? Seems very doable.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
And they're probably high-end beers, the types you would probably pay $5-$8 for a 10oz snifter. I can definitely come out ahead here

dolaan_sl

shitlord
Joeboo,

If it is anything like the Ommegang festival you will have no problem.

If it is available or should I say if the format of both fests are similar, I would really encourage you to go to the VIP dinner the day before. They pair all their beer with AMAZING food and it is essentially all you can drink. It is by far the best part of the festival.

kudos

<Banned>
And they're probably high-end beers, the types you would probably pay $5-$8 for a 10oz snifter. I can definitely come out ahead here
You aren't taking the high abv into consideration.

Also, load up on a shitload of food real quick to get your stomach ready for the alcohol and also to get your monies worth. Then just drink and drink.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have a go to set of glasses they like top use for their beer? Was thinking about picking up a set off Amazon (Amazon.com: Libbey Craft Brew Sampler Clear Beer Glass Set, 6-Piece: Kitchen Dining) bit thought I'd ask in case anyone knows of a unique seller.

Also have to buy a new wine carafe /sigh. Came home today from work and found ours shattered on the kitchen floor. Either the cat did it or it rolled off our drying rack. Damn thing was some Norwegian glass special and a wedding gift from her family.

kudos

<Banned>
56zAZTB.jpg

Tulip glass is the best all-around beer style glass. Can use it for pretty much anything.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I have that exact beer glass set, intrinsic. Bought one for my brother in law a couple Christmases ago too. Really nothing special about it, but it works well. The back of the box has a list of which types of beers are ideal for which shape of glass. Write that shit down if you don't already know it. I end up using the belgian glass and the wheat beer glass more than the others by far. The stout glass and the pilsner glass are probably the 2 least useful, since we already had quite a few normal glasses that were similar in shape anyways. Those aren't anything overly special.

You'd probably be just as well off picking up a couple of glasses like this:
30660.jpg

Boulevard Brewing Company Smokestack Glass

I use that more than anything. I basically either drink a beer out of the bottle, or if I do use a glass, it's that one (for high ABV beers that might take me a while to drink, having a stem to hold onto is nice so you don't warm your beer with the heat from your hand)

kudos

<Banned>
First one looks like a pilsner glass and I wouldn't use it for anything but that to be honest.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Joeboo,

If it is anything like the Ommegang festival you will have no problem.

If it is available or should I say if the format of both fests are similar, I would really encourage you to go to the VIP dinner the day before. They pair all their beer with AMAZING food and it is essentially all you can drink. It is by far the best part of the festival.
The VIP dinner at the BCTC is definitely not the best part of the festival. It's a great time, even though the food is "meh" but the best part of the festival is the fest day itself where everyone plays lawn games in front of their tents, samples each other's homebrews and then gets drunk together at the actual 4 hour beer fest on Saturday (where they have a shitload of sours which are normally expensive and hard to find).

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Mission successful, my GF has returned from California with a bounty of delicious beers. Thanks to those who made suggestions.

20140301_150540_zps1289312d.jpg