The best sequel of all time?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Aliens and TDK were the first two I thought of as well. T2... as much as I used to love it, I just can't really watch it anymore. I've tried a few times, but, it just lacks... meat, or something. Dunno how to describe it. If you took out the action and special effects, what would be left? Lifeless, wooden acting?

Salshun_sl

shitlord
Aliens and TDK were the first two I thought of as well. T2... as much as I used to love it, I just can't really watch it anymore. I've tried a few times, but, it just lacks... meat, or something. Dunno how to describe it. If you took out the action and special effects, what would be left? Lifeless, wooden acting?
Totally respectfully disagree. The relationship between the T-800 and John, that dynamic, I thought made the movie. The chemistry, with the "It is in your nature to destroy yourselves"....it showed a side of the movie that was about what it meant to be human. I thought, still think, that entire back and forth elevated the movie to new heights.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Leathal weapon 2,3
Rambo 2
T2
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Airplane 2
Naked Gun 2 1/2
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Back to the Future 2, 3
Gremlins 2
Aliens

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Rerolled
wink.png

My favorites would be Aliens, Godfather II, Star Trek Wrath of Khaaaaaaaaaan, Empire Strikes Back, and Army of Darkness. Bruce Campbell cracks me up - this is myBOOMSTICK
smile.png

Edit:
Nice one, Araysar - Dollars Trilogy are indeed classics.

Caliane

Guys already gave my answer with ESB.
But Indiana Jones and the Last crusade deserves a nod too.

iannis

Musty Nester
ESB, Aliens, and Evil Dead 2.

There's lots of perfectly good movies that are sequels, but those 3 sequels managed to one up the original in a way that sequels rarely do.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Totally respectfully disagree. The relationship between the T-800 and John, that dynamic, I thought made the movie. The chemistry, with the "It is in your nature to destroy yourselves"....it showed a side of the movie that was about what it meant to be human. I thought, still think, that entire back and forth elevated the movie to new heights.
I recently rewatched it because the GF didn't see any of them (or Alien movies). It was an extended edition and I have to say it even has the best editing. Every single extra scene was pointless.
The movie is still awesome.

And lol at complaining about an action movie not being too deep if you remove all the action. The action in T2 is fucking awesome.

Szlia

First thing that came to mind wasAliensand then...Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
smile.png

Let us venture around the world and through time to add more exotic choices:

Japan:

Sanjuro: Kurosawa directs and Mifune stars, a duo that worked in many masterpieces. Here in a sequel of Yojimbo The Bodyguard.

Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold: There are more than twenty sequels in the Zatoichi serie and several are worth a mention, but I'll pick this one that has just about everything in it (Comedy! Sword Fight! Gambling! Great Plot!)

Patlabor 2: From a pretty original manga that takes the giant robot theme to write stories about the everyday life of cops, Mamoru 'Ghost in the Shell' Oshii goes a step further and turns it into an almost metaphysical reflection on war.

Hong Kong:

A Better Tomorrow 2: One of the quintessential HK action movie of the '80s, a John Woo classic.

Once Upon a Time in China V: Here again, many movies in this serie of kung-fu dramedies, but the absurd HK comedy is here at its best, director Tsui Hark is in full flow and Chiu Man Chuk is, for my money, better than Jet Li in the part of Wong Fei Hong.

One could add a lot of HK movies I realize because they generate a LOT of sequels!

France:

OSS 117: Lost in Rio: By the team that brought you The Artist and OSS 117: Nest of Spies. A potent satire centered on a clumsy, culturally insensitive and reactionary french secret agent.

Portugal:

God's Comedy: Monteiro (our very own Isengard's best friend) uses for a second time his Jo?o de Deus alter ego in this most bizarre, art house, tongue in cheek, erotic comedy. It's about an old Dandy who collects pubic hair and makes ice cream out of the milk used to bath girls... yep... and it is both awesome and hilarious.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A lot of the best ones are already mentioned, but I would add Force Ten from Navarone to the list for classic movies and Two Towers to the list for modern movies. Probably not up to the standards of the others that have been mentioned, but Chronicles of Riddick and Tron Legacy are guilty pleasures of mine, as well.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Two Towers is probably the weakest film of the trilogy.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
The two best sequels when compared to the first movie (that I can think of) is a much more exclusive club. Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan and second place to The Road Warrior.