The best sequel of all time?

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
This should be a poll thread. My top 5 are TDK, ESB, T2, Godfather 2, and Toy Story 2.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hm, sequels that managed to be better than the first movie and/or become the best out of the entire series?

Empire Strikes Back
Aliens
The Dark Knight

Those three really stand out.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
ESB, TDK and Godfather 2 really exist on their own level, I'm not sure anything comes close.

If we're talking about sequels where it became the best of a series, some consideration has to go to Return of the King

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This should be a poll thread. My top 5 are TDK, ESB, T2, Godfather 2, andToy Story 2.
Good call on that one. People already mentioned all the best. I'll add in Silence of the Lambs if you can consider it a sequel to Manhunter.

Of all the sequels mentioned so far, I'd say T2 is the best. Die Hard with a Vengeance is also pretty badass.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I really don't understand the repeated idea that Aliens is superior to Alien. They are in two completely different formats and genres and Alien is a amazing scifi/horror movie.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
FgzmLF4.jpg
imo

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
It's Aliens, hands down. Back on FOH I said that I could watch that movie time and again and never get tired of it and that was put to the test again last weekend. It turned up on two different channels at two different times on Sunday and guess who watched it both times? For some reason I cannot get enough of it.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Aliens is much better with the extra scenes from the laser disk version thrown in, as well. I think it would have to be a close contest between Aliens and Wrath of Khan for the best sequal ever made, but I think Khan would have to get the nod for being so much better than Star Trek the Motionless Picture, plus it built on the mythology of the TV show. If we consider the TNG era a separate Trek Movie franchise, then I think First Contact has to be on that list as well for similar reasons.

Also I think Two Towers was the best movie of the trilogy, largely because of the pacing. Fellowship had large chunks of verbal diarrhea tossed in to be faithful to the book and no Gollum. Return had the very poorly paced ending sequence that really didn't belong in the movie, like the fucking gay hobbit pillow fight shit. The extended versions probably influence my opinion on that a great deal, actually, now that I think about it, so I can see the argument in the context of the theatrical versions. I agree that as awesome as the Ent battles and Siege of Rohan sequences were, that the Siege of Gondor battle sequences were much better. Peter Jackson has always kind of sucked at pacing, though, so I may be biased on some of this.

Szlia

I really don't understand the repeated idea that Aliens is superior to Alien. They are in two completely different formats and genres and Alien is a amazing scifi/horror movie.
I don't want to turn the topic into Alien Wars (wuwu video game pun!), but I am ready to argue that Aliens is superior to Alien in both sci-fi and horror. What I will leave to Alien though (other than the cat) is that, to the best of my knowledge, it's the first Space Trucker kind of movie, that is a movie where space travel is depicted as a laborious, routine, blue collar activity.

Oh and... The Silence of the Lambs is a good pick, but I must say I prefer Manhunter. I guess I am a sucker for Mann's blue period.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's exactly what makes it so good. Aliens wouldn't be half as good if Alien wasn't also good.

Alien is all "hey, woah. That was creepy as shit. Damn". Then Aliens is all "Jesus. What the fuck just happened to my eyes."

It's a really strong pair of movies. I dunno that Aliens really is superior to Alien. But it's the sequel, and that's what the thread is about.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The space trucker thing is a good call. It laid the groundwork for a lot of good movies that followed a similar atmosphere, like Heavy Metal and Outland. But you could also make the argument that Star Wars created that concept first on the big screen with characters like Han Solo, though he was more of a smuggler. Alien gave it the most realistic feel. I think Aliens was the better movie, by far, for reasons of depth of plot and pacing, but I do think Aliens was not really a psychological horror movie in the same sense the original was, but more of an 80s style gorefest horror flick with top level action and good characters thrown in. The acting was arguably better in the original (the quality of actors was amazing), but they had less material to work with. Interesting thing is that there are also cut scenes from Alien that make it a better movie, as well, like one at the end with Ripley finding the crew cocooned up while she is running for the escape pod. A lot got cut from both movies that added depth to the story actually (Khan had some stuff cut, as well) that can be seen on director's cuts of the movies. Aliens, in particular, had a whole scene with the automated turrets, a sequence of Ripley finding out about her daughter being dead and gone on earth, and tons of dialog snippets involving the marines and Burke that fleshed out the story a lot. Probably worth getting the blue ray versions just to get that extra stuff.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Aliens is much better with the extra scenes from the laser disk version thrown in, as well.
I thought we no longer lived in a world where there was an original theatrical release of Aliens? The two I watched on TV both had the extra scenes. I also don't think Aliens is better than Alien in the slightest; I think that one is a horror movie set in space and the other is a sci-fi action movie. I just happen to like Aliens more because it retains its level of badassness no matter how many times I view it. Alien is still badass and creepy but after the second time I saw it the scary parts were well known and I didn't jump at them anymore.

spronk

FPS noob
if jigsaw locked you in a room for 20 years with food/sanitation and only a single bluray/TV, which sequel would you watch every day? Its a tough choice between Godfather 2, TDK, Empire Strikes Back, and Terminator 2. And yeah, I realize a movies repeatability doesn't correlate to greatness, there are great movies I never want to watch again (Requiem for a Dream, Schindlers List, etc).

My final choice would have to be Godfather 2, just all around top notch acting by a lot of people who went on to do great things. It builds wonderfully on Godfather 1, and shows so many sides to the Corleone family and makes you think a lot about what you would do for power, money, and family - great contrasts too between DeNiro/Godfather and Pacino/Michael. I love ESB and TDK but those are really pew-pew-pew movies that are a rush to watch but don't really make you feel ... sentimental/emotional? I can't wait till my son is a little older and we watch the 2 Godfather movies (THERE ARE ONLY TWO) together.