The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Cor_sl

shitlord
Araysar: You seem to imply that they don't have different fidelity settings between 360 and PS3 that are closer than the difference already with sometimes one console dropping AA or Shadows versus the others, etc.

It's really annoying how many times people have brought up that same tired, and wrong, argument.

i.e.http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head...ot-comparison/and dozens of other similar comparisons.
Additionally, all the next gen game engines are going to be scalable to make porting to PCs easier. Devs will be able to turn on some extra graphical bells and whistles for the PS4 version to make it look better than the Xbox One version.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, it seems like it would be really simple for them to enable graphics options on a port to a more powerful system (especially with the two sharing nearly the same architecture).

Szlia

There is a number of ways to easily use excess power, especially when you consider how straight forward the PS4 architecture appears to be. Anti aliasing, draw distance, texture filtering, resolution, frame rate...

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Araysar: You seem to imply that they don't have different fidelity settings between 360 and PS3 that are closer than the difference already with sometimes one console dropping AA or Shadows versus the others, etc.

It's really annoying how many times people have brought up that same tired, and wrong, argument.

i.e.http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head...ot-comparison/and dozens of other similar comparisons.
You still have to put in the extra effort to code those improved graphics and why the fuck would you bother? If it looks good enough for XONE, why waste time making it look slightly better for PS4?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Araysar: You still have to put in the extra effort to code those improved graphics and why the fuck would you bother? If it looks good enough for X-1, why bother making it look slightly better for PC?

Why does my argument I just made there mirroring your statement sound completely ludicrous? Because there's a fuckton of precedent behind it, just like in this generation with the 360 and PS3 we started seeing that precedent start to appear even between the consoles themselves rather than between console and PC. Sure, it's possible they'll buck precedent while they're already making separate video settings for the PC, but it doesn't seem remotely likely considering a full 90-95% of what has been 360/PS3/PC has had fidelity differences between PS3 and 360 for the past few years.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
You still have to put in the extra effort to code those improved graphics and why the fuck would you bother? If it looks good enough for XONE, why waste time making it look slightly better for PS4?
You may be right with the way they churn out shitty rehashed games. They could potentially save QA time and other shit by taking the easy route. To me it doesn't really matter anyway. Once I'm playing the game I don't foresee myself noticing relatively small graphical differences between the two.

That being said, I own 2 Xbox 360's and have never bought a PS3 but MS has me seriously considering moving to PS for the next gen. I don't have any allegiance to either of them. Live was a differentiator for me this gen but I think Sony has caught up and seems to have avoided the ridiculous "pay for clutter" model MS is rolling with these days.

I don't really game that much anymore, but you know when I'm almost guaranteed to throw in a game and go at it? When my internet is out. MS can go fuck themselves if they're not going to allow me to play games I purchased when and where I want.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Game companies are already using scalable engines, why do people think things are going to change? Generally the worst parts of PC ports are the retarded consolized UI's or poor mouse support.

Vaclav

Game companies are already using scalable engines, why do people think things are going to change? Generally the worst parts of PC ports are the retarded consolized UI's or poor mouse support.
Some people think that doesn't happen at all yet - shockingly.

Vaclav

I suspect the secret dream of the marketing team that chose this name is that people would call it 'The One.'
If that was the case though, wouldn't they have to fight GE for using Agent Smith in their commercials?

Sean_sl

shitlord
So are we calling this xbone or not?
xBONE and Xbronies for life.

I love how this thread has a few concrete-headed people acting like PS3/X360 games were all identical. That's not even remotely true. There's differences between tons of titles in Texture Resolution, AA, Shadows, Lighting, Vsync, FPS, Mapping, Loading, etc. People do code to take advantage of each system's abilities and they don't just plop something out on one and force it to run on another. This isn't going to change with the Xbone's and PS4's architecture's being more similar, people will take advantage of what each system has and scale accordingly like they've always done. Hell, it'll be even easier for them to do so and they're not just going to neglect extra power sitting there. It's hilarious that anyone would act like they would, especially in scaleable engines.

They're not going to force a more powerful console to run much worse than it can for parity. A big selling point of early cross-platform titles this last generation was the X360 version running better a great deal of the time due to developers having issues coding for the PS3. Hell, that's still been a selling point even through the end of this generation (hi Skyrim!).

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, since PS4 will probably easier to program, I wonder if it will become the developer's console of choice and then they will port to xBONE?

axeman_sl

shitlord
It's like Microsoft are taking everything that makes it inconvenient for the user but potentially saves a little on production costs, and everything that pisses gamers off but satisfies the corporate greed of publishers, and cramming it all into a box that's probably going to break every four months.