The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Crone Crone if there are any other outlets on that wall, like an existing coax cable or phone jack (lol), you can open up that outlet and use the existing cables as pull wire to get your ethernet cable up into the attic. Tape up a string and the ethernet cable, pull ethernet up into attic. Use string to pull existing cable back down to its original spot.

As an alternative, you now have a reason to go buy a new tool. Go check out the wire fishing tools online and at Harbor Freight or Sears or some other local tool store. Never pass up an excuse to buy new tools, even if it's for running low voltage wiring.

Finally, as a seasoned pro at covertly running cables in rental houses, if others have baseboards that have trim openings near where you want to be, you can pop that baseboard off and drill behind it, having the cable come out near the trim opening. There will be a tiny gap there, but when you move out you can push the wire back into the wall (or pull it out entirely) and move the baseboard back in place. Nobody will know there is a drilled hole behind the baseboard. You can even fill it, if you're super nice.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Crone Crone if there are any other outlets on that wall, like an existing coax cable or phone jack (lol), you can open up that outlet and use the existing cables as pull wire to get your ethernet cable up into the attic. Tape up a string and the ethernet cable, pull ethernet up into attic. Use string to pull existing cable back down to its original spot.

As an alternative, you now have a reason to go buy a new tool. Go check out the wire fishing tools online and at Harbor Freight or Sears or some other local tool store. Never pass up an excuse to buy new tools, even if it's for running low voltage wiring.

Finally, as a seasoned pro at covertly running cables in rental houses, if others have baseboards that have trim openings near where you want to be, you can pop that baseboard off and drill behind it, having the cable come out near the trim opening. There will be a tiny gap there, but when you move out you can push the wire back into the wall (or pull it out entirely) and move the baseboard back in place. Nobody will know there is a drilled hole behind the baseboard. You can even fill it, if you're super nice.
Hahaha, good ideas!

My issue right now is that my desk is setup in an exterior corner of the house. Right underneath my desk is a Coax jack, but it's coming in from the outside. It runs along the outside of the house, into the garage, and to be honest, I've yet to find our cable box, but I know there's another cable that runs along the exterior walls of the garage, and then goes into the living room as well.

The red circle is the outside corner that I'm in, and the blue circle is roughly where the living room jack is. The Google blue dot is of course the garage. Going through the attic I could get somewhat close, but being that I'm on an exterior wall, there's not much that I can do, short of running it on the baseboards.

internet.jpg

Vaclav

Could just run it along the inside of moulding if you don't care about shortest A->B

Necrath Evilcraft

Golden Knight of the Realm
Did anyone have issues installing the new firmware? My pro error'd out and i had to redo it in safemode. Curious if this was just a freak occurrence or an actual issue.

spronk

FPS noob
no issues installing 4.50 on my ps4 pro either

the new notifications system is absolute trash though, they removed the left bar types and its all just one giant list now - downloads, msgs, invites, etc all in just one list. ugh, bring back the old one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Did anyone have issues installing the new firmware? My pro error'd out and i had to redo it in safemode. Curious if this was just a freak occurrence or an actual issue.

I updated it yesterday, installed then booted off with an error afterwards. It refreshed the cache when it loaded up again (first it displayed an error that it wanted to send to Sony). It then locked my shared games (I have mine activated with a friend, and he has mine activated) where I had to go into his account, refreshed my licenses, and now everything is working again.

VR updates also includes going from 90 to 120hz and added the ability to watch 3D movies through the headset. Though fairly sure that due to the low resolution of the headset it is still better to use my TVs 3D feature with the 3D glasses that have active shutters on them or whatever it is called.

I got the VR for RE7 and I can't play it. I get insane motion sickness after 5 minutes. Walking forwards and looking to the side makes me feel like my body is pushed backwards similarly to being in a sentrifuge ride at an amusement park. Someone suggested motion sickness pills, but I am not using medication to play games. Most other games work fine though. Only one other of the VR titles in that bundle thing gave me motion sickness, the one where you walk in space jumping between the asteroids. That takes a while to make me sick though. RE7 I am sweating like mad by the time I reach the first house, not even gotten to a save point.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
No issues on the update with my PS4 Pro.

I am with you, as a kid I could ride roller coasters all day with no issues. Now in my 30's the slightest out of line movement and I am sweating and sick with vertigo. Over Xmas I tried my buddies cheap VR headset for the phone and I almost puked, so the new VR is a NO GO for me.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Gotta get your sea legs with VR and build up your tolerance. Start with just a few minutes at a time and work up from there. My first long session I actually took a Dramamine just in case, but I seem to be good without it. Must be all the time I've spent on boats.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I got my order kinda screwed up on the Target B2G1 free offer. Ordered Nioh, Nier:Automata, and Horizon:Zero Dawn...used a gift card I had lingering around, knocking it down to about 45 bucks out of pocket.

Nier had to be shipped, Nioh was in a store 20 minutes away, so got Horizon to be picked up with it.

Nioh gets cancelled this morning and its nowhere to be found within 100 miles nor can it be shipped. I couldn't swap in a different game, so cancelled that and Horizon (I can get it anywhere else really) since it fucks up the discount. However, Nier - although it can't be cancelled - is still coming with a discount of 20 something bucks because the offer and gift cards solidified it through shipping lol.

I'm tempted to try the offer again with other games, but I can only come up with Zelda and Horizon for ideas. Nier already on the way and can't get Nioh so those are out. Some other games around I don't see worth the effort.

Any thoughts?

Crone

spronk spronk I saw that the Best Buy ad starting today has $10 off PS4 controllers, but do deals come around for cheaper than that? Kids have ruined my controllers for the most part and want to get them replaced.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah $35-40 is the best deal i see every now and then on ps4/xbone controllers, but i don't really pay attention much. what I do is 2-3x a year gamestop runs a 50% trade bonus promo including accessories, I then trade in my controllers for $40-45 each and buy a new controller for +$20-25, rinse and repeat every year. i bought the kontrol freeks attachments and just pop those on the new ones, seems to extend the thumb stick lives dramatically.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

I'm a huge fan of the kontrol freeks too. I was pretty skeptical when Sean used to recommend them a lot years ago, but finally ended up getting a concave set with one mid and one high attachment. Took some getting used to, but I'd say they're the main reason I choose to use a gamepad for most things nowadays even when I could use m/k instead.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone happen to play on one of the LG OLED tvs with PS4 Pro/Xbox S/Nvidia1080? The 2016 models are starting to become really tempting but there are some articles out there about the HDR from both systems not playing nice with the LG brand for games or 4k media. Debating on making the plunge on one of the 65inch models or waiting for Scorpio to see if they do those buy a TV get a free Xbox like they did when the S model came out.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Anybody want 3 free months of Showtime on PSN? Here you go: N6PB-GENH-NN74