The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
[UPDATE] Retail sources claim Microsoft and publishers will take a percentage of every used game; Microsoft says reports are "inaccurate and incomplete." What do you think dispute means?
As you said right below this, they're just playing around with semantics. The core thing of there being a "used fee" is not in dispute, it's just the silly technicalities of it and largely how it effects Gamestop that they're toying around with clarifying.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I don't care about gamestop. How about all those Ebay sales? I can't see them charging game stop while not charging the second owner from an eBay sale.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
i wouldn't mind the used game provisions so much if they weren't so dishonest about their motivations. they claim companies like gamestop are responsible for inflated development costs yet games were exorbitantly priced long before the used game trade took off. i remember paying 60, 70 bucks for some playstation and snes titles. that's around 100 bucks when you adjust for inflation.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Almost anything with a touch screen has SmartGlass available to it, so I don't think anyone will get device sales out of this. Just more of a demo on how you can avoid using a controller by using devices you likely already have. Browsing the internet using a phone for a keyboard > controller typing.
Wait, I want to make sure I'm understanding this right.

So, I'll use my smartphone or my tablet with smartglass to control my Xbox to look at a web browser/skype window/whatever that takes up one third of my television screen and obscures my view of my games/televisions/movies.

Did I get that right?

Because I'm having a hard time understanding why I wouldn't load up the web browser/skype client/whatever on my smartphone or my tablet and use it there instead.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I cant think of another company in the history of the world that has been so persistant at making horrible decisions over so long a time. Its really a showcasing of the monopoly and stranglehold they have on the market that they've managed to stay afloat and out of trouble through this.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
God this thread is so long. So pretty much with the Xbox1 I can no longer rent games from Redbox, use one of my friend's games or play my 360 games?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Wait, I want to make sure I'm understanding this right.

So, I'll use my smartphone or my tablet with smartglass to control my Xbox to look at a web browser/skype window/whatever that takes up one third of my television screen and obscures my view of my games/televisions/movies.

Did I get that right?

Because I'm having a hard time understanding why I wouldn't load up the web browser/skype client/whatever on my smartphone or my tablet and use it there instead.
I think the point is that someone sitting next to you can pull things up as you play/watch something.

You could also use it for walkthroughs etc.

The concept is a good one, it's just not the selling point they want it to be. It's an interesting tidbit of software on the side while it's useful won't get somebody to buy it.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
That's not gonna fly in Europe on a legal wing anyways.
Sure it will - the EULA will say you're buying a license to use the game rather than the game itself i.e. MS retains ownership. And if they own it, they can charge a fee for a second (third, fourth, etc) licence.

Sure it will - the EULA will say you're buying a license to use the game rather than the game itself i.e. MS retains ownership. And if they own it, they can charge a fee for a second (third, fourth, etc) licence.
The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU), however, ruled in July that the trading of "used" software licenses is legal and that the author of such software cannot oppose any resale. While the CJEU's case is not exactly the same as the current litigation against Valve, the VZVB reckons that the ruling gives sufficient basis for a new lawsuit, Elbrecht said. She expected the litigation to go on for years, and it will probably end up at the federal court again, she said.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
i wouldn't mind the used game provisions so much if they weren't so dishonest about their motivations. they claim companies like gamestop are responsible for inflated development costs yet games were exorbitantly priced long before the used game trade took off. i remember paying 60, 70 bucks for some playstation and snes titles. that's around 100 bucks when you adjust for inflation.
This is ultimately the problem. If you look at game budgets and inflation, a new game should cost about 120 bucks right now. No one is willing to pay that, thus the entire industry model is broken. The race for bigger better faster broke the system.

The industry needs to cut back by a factor of 10. Sucks... Good bye jobs... But the industry can not stay 100% hardcore game focused with the size of current studios/teams/budgets.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Like TCFB said, the legal precedents (in Europe, anyway), suggest that MS' scheme won't be legal there in the long run.

Still doesn't mean MS won't implement it for the multiple years until a clear legal ruling is issued.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Just don't sell the Xbone in Europe, or make the licenses completely non transferable in the eurozone.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Y'all act like MS doesn't have an army of attorneys at their disposal that are individually vastly superior to your arm chair lawyering.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Do you think they go back to their office and all sit around a table laughing at the bullshit they just said and how straight their faces were when they said it?