The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Chimney

Trakanon Raider

You still haven't said a word about how the handful of games are suddenly being over represented nor what is the proper balance. What's the number xbox execs, programmers and marketing managers should be making for the every man that somehow isn't an issue or do you feel that any non vanilla choice marketed is a failing? If this abysmally tiny scale is enough to get pissy when it's already so close to zero and an industry non issue overall then something is wrong.

I'm neither a hipster nor British. I probably fit right into the conservative narrative view on aesthetics and education pretty well though I just happen to not be a close minded pile of shit.

Being loud or the loudest doesn't equate to being heard though. There comes a time when screaming about enough inconsequential items gets your valid points drowned out and/or breeds plenty of apathy like we are seeing today.

In terms of gaming I would say voting with your wallet is still pretty much the gold standard of the industry.

I have been in ecommerce dev/marketing for the better part of nearly two decades and have done plenty of group studies, lookalike modeling, demographics, analytics blah blah and there is a huge difference in how someone approaches games vs a tshirt vs a refrigerator.

Gamers are traipsing into the borders of addiction and companies can get away with far more than they would elsewhere. Look at your Fifa, CoDs, Destiny, WoW etc. These companies make choices that fuck large portions of their players time and time again and they come back begging for more. You can see more complaining and bitching here, reddit and other gaming forums about these games than actual real world issues. Yet they are lining up those preorders because this time it'll be different! They could do practically anything they want and companies know this from the numbers.

Some studio off shoots of Microsoft displaying a handful of non traditional protagonists (out of like 700-800 titles this year on xbox alone as it's hard to tell with non released) seems a lot less like pandering in my eyes and more of a why the fuck not.

Microsoft and other companies have never come out and said we only advertise and make games for a partial part of our gaming demographic. So why is it surprising or even a talking point when they do branch out other than some sort of bias?

This isn't something like Abercrombie deciding to throw in obese tranny models when we know their marketing is towards attractive people and flat out stated as such.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
You still haven't said a word about how the handful of games are suddenly being over represented nor what is the proper balance. What's the number xbox execs, programmers and marketing managers should be making for the every man that somehow isn't an issue or do you feel that any non vanilla choice marketed is a failing? If this abysmally tiny scale is enough to get pissy when it's already so close to zero and an industry non issue overall then something is wrong.

I'm neither a hipster nor British. I probably fit right into the conservative narrative view on aesthetics and education pretty well though I just happen to not be a close minded pile of shit.

Being loud or the loudest doesn't equate to being heard though. There comes a time when screaming about enough inconsequential items gets your valid points drowned out and/or breeds plenty of apathy like we are seeing today.

In terms of gaming I would say voting with your wallet is still pretty much the gold standard of the industry.

I have been in ecommerce dev/marketing for the better part of nearly two decades and have done plenty of group studies, lookalike modeling, demographics, analytics blah blah and there is a huge difference in how someone approaches games vs a tshirt vs a refrigerator.

Gamers are traipsing into the borders of addiction and companies can get away with far more than they would elsewhere. Look at your Fifa, CoDs, Destiny, WoW etc. These companies make choices that fuck large portions of their players time and time again and they come back begging for more. You can see more complaining and bitching here, reddit and other gaming forums about these games than actual real world issues. Yet they are lining up those preorders because this time it'll be different! They could do practically anything they want and companies know this from the numbers.

Some studio off shoots of Microsoft displaying a handful of non traditional protagonists (out of like 700-800 titles this year on xbox alone as it's hard to tell with non released) seems a lot less like pandering in my eyes and more of a why the fuck not.

Microsoft and other companies have never come out and said we only advertise and make games for a partial part of our gaming demographic. So why is it surprising or even a talking point when they do branch out other than some sort of bias?

This isn't something like Abercrombie deciding to throw in obese tranny models when we know their marketing is towards attractive people and flat out stated as such.
giphy.gif

• 1Worf

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They shut down the Xbox One X production line in order to crank out more Series X units, so my gut tells me the price point for this thing is going to be similar to that if the current Xbox One X.

It's still very weird to be <4 months from launch and know so little.

• 1Truth!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My gut tells me that if the price was going to be what people hope it will be then they'd have announced it long ago. Whatever you think it should cost, add at least $100.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well since these things are pretty much glorified PCs now, im sure the prices are nearing low range PC price. Im betting $600-$700, but then again I could be wrong.

• 1Cringe

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

Correct. I haven't said a word about a topic nobody was discussing because it isn't directly relevant to the topic we were discussing.

Topic: it seemed MS was prominently featuring black female characters. Why? How? What does it mean. Is it necessary? Is it in itself racist?

You: you're all racists for noticing something that was an active presentation decision by the Xbox people.

People discussing the topic: have an actual point to make?

You: midget or black characters should be defended because videogame characters can't help how they were born! And you racists are clearly threatened and want racial quotas and jealous because nobody from MS brass cards what you think on a message board.

Black meme guy: ???

Nobody thinks or cares about your racial quotas for characters in the vast library of games. We were talking about the ME choose to exploit the imagery of black female characters in a way that was noticeable and could be seen as pandering. They fact you're justifying it because of vague historic imbalances kind of proves the point that MS was being manipulative and doing something abnormal. Otherwise you'd just be able to make the point that they weren't doing what people seemed to notice them doing.

Watch, let's try. Hey guys, did anyone else notice all the midget characters, what's up with that? No, there was I think a small character, but an elf, so different. Oh. Well. Right. End of conversation.

Instead, did anyone else notice all the black female characters, what's up with that? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you're racist for noticing things in a marketing presentation where people are paid to make decisions that will be noticed!

Trying to ignore or excuse a giant corporation exploiting the images of black women for the sake of pandering or atone for perceived historic wrongs in the history of black female characters makes you the racist.

• 1Truth!

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Indeed. Could we get a cleanup of the last few pages? I assume you don’t want a report of every single post.

At least report only the start of the discussion you disagree with or use the amod thread you whiny Fucking Nazi censorship faggot.

Better, we should have a grown up thread for the very serious and mature discussion of the video games only. That way, the next time Xbox features "LGBBQ friendly games" the really mature grownups won't have to even admit a world outside of their game worlds exist.

or yeah shove everything faggot whiners don't like into the gamergate thread so a response to a single Xbox showcase event will have to be broken up over multiple threads. Because nothing says healthy adult conversation like not being allowed to discuss something MS felt was important to prominently feature regarding their upcoming console release in the console thread.

This is fine.

• 1Moron
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
They shut down the Xbox One X production line in order to crank out more Series X units, so my gut tells me the price point for this thing is going to be similar to that if the current Xbox One X.

It's still very weird to be <4 months from launch and know so little.

Not sure how that indicates similar pricing. But definitely weird they're playing chicken with the price. At this point they should just price fix with Sony and get a price out there so at least people know what to expect.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
My logic goes like this -- they would normally keep the previous generation and the new generation around at different price points for the first year because people wanted to play older games or people couldnt afford the new gen etc.

However the backwards compatibility eliminates the desire to retain the ability to play older titles so the only benefit for buying a Xbox One X would be the price point. If they know the price point between the old and the new will be really close then there's no reason anyone would pick the older model and therefore you might as well stop making em.

Curiously enough PS4s are still being actively made and the supply chain is expected to be flush with them for the holiday season.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
My logic goes like this -- they would normally keep the previous generation and the new generation around at different price points for the first year because people wanted to play older games or people couldnt afford the new gen etc.

However the backwards compatibility eliminates the desire to retain the ability to play older titles so the only benefit for buying a Xbox One X would be the price point. If they know the price point between the old and the new will be really close then there's no reason anyone would pick the older model and therefore you might as well stop making em.

Curiously enough PS4s are still being actively made and the supply chain is expected to be flush with them for the holiday season.
I would say that with the new XboxSex the XboneX becomes kinda redundant. They already have the cheap option with the XboneS and the XboxSex is the premium model. I’m not sure how much of a demand there will be for a mid level model.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I dunno.

Maybe they're phasing production to the new generation of an item just because that is what always happens eventually. Not sure the scale this is happening, though. Any indication they're going to stop making the One X entirely? Or just that some production is shifting to the series X

Even still, same logic could be applied saying they are shifting production to stop making one X because they know the Series X will be more expensive so they're eliminating competition with their own boxes.

More likely they're just shifting production as always happens, and the One X will be discounted some, and the new Series X will see a price bump, and people will have the option to pay a premium for the cutting edge or get a discount on last gen.

My plan was to get a One X cheaper later than now, because I don't care much for last gen features that are mostly just graphical improvements. Why I have an S now. If they cut people like me out of the One X being discounted I simply won't buy the new gen. This seems a typical situation so doubt they'd upset what is sort of a precedent.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I would say that with the new XboxSex the XboneX becomes kinda redundant. They already have the cheap option with the XboneS and the XboxSex is the premium model. I’m not sure how much of a demand there will be for a mid level model.

Hrm, my figuring was the One S gets phased out and One X becomes the lower tier console over time. But maybe the One X is still too expensive to make to do that? Seems a big gap between One S and Series X, especially when backward compatibility is just scalability now. I think everyone would be more receptive to less of a scalability gap, even cheapos like me that don't care much for upgrade graphics.a

if games are scaling so well, though, maybe they don't see a need for a mid tier option. But then I'd just buy a PlayStation if it won't matter which Xbox I have.

I feel like we should know more by now though for sure.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok gentlemen, I'm putting the amod hat on here. If you want to keep the general wokeness in gaming conversation going, please take it to the Gamergate thread. If it's specific to consoles carry on. If you want some posts moved let me know.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
You’re very odd, popsicledeath popsicledeath . I didn’t report anything. Thanks for the insults. Let’s keep it civil from now on, shall we? Thanks Denamian Denamian for awesomeness.

Yes, that's the point. Instead of reporting anything you felt was against the rules, you made a passive aggressive comment about reporting all the posts when you would have only needed to report one anyhow. And instead of addressing general concerns in the moderator thread, you replied in the thread where you were just so bothered by off topic and such controversial comments. How hard would it have been to just take direct action if you felt something was inappropriate instead of responding like a bitch?

Sorry for calling you a faggot, though.

• 1Salty

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
People keep forgetting hard drives are expensive, with no way to reduce their cost beyond a fixed minimum. Your $/GB has gone down, but not the bare minimum $/drive.

Much like MS killed the OB Xbox instantly, other than having one entry level console for last gen games for the budget market(and that is probably reliant on hard drive stockpiles), they'll all be switching to new models sooner rather than later.