The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Caliane

I think Phoenix was having a bit of a brain shutdown.

720p is low. Pc's running at 1920x1080 are 1080p. Which is bluray, etc. Few xbox/ps3 games ran at 1080p. that is what he was thinking most likely.

Most PC's nowadays run even HIGHER at widescreen 1920x1200. or even higher still, at 2560 x 1440.

Shabado_sl

shitlord
Going from 720p to 1080p isn't as big a deal as better quality textures and (hopefully) higher, more consistent frame rates and less screen tearing. I, like most people, don't have a living room set up that lets me really appreciate the difference between 720p and 1080p (Fuck everyone with 120inch projectors. Fuck them in the ear), but I can sure as shit tell the difference between a game that jumps around at 20-25fps and one that is a solid 60. I'll settle for 30fps if it's solid and doesn't result in hideous screen tearing.
Shitty frame rates ruin a hell of a lot more than less pixels on the flowers. Turning around has been a pretty ugly experience in console games for a while now.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Going from 720p to 1080p isn't as big a deal as better quality textures and (hopefully) higher, more consistent frame rates and less screen tearing. I, like most people, don't have a living room set up that lets me really appreciate the difference between 720p and 1080p (Fuck everyone with 120inch projectors. Fuck them in the ear), but I can sure as shit tell the difference between a game that jumps around at 20-25fps and one that is a solid 60. I'll settle for 30fps if it's solid and doesn't result in hideous screen tearing.
Shitty frame rates ruin a hell of a lot more than less pixels on the flowers. Turning around has been a pretty ugly experience in console games for a while now.
Yeah, a lot of people don't realize just how close you have to sit to a TV to fully see 1080p of detail. For a 42 inch TV it's a maximum of 5.5 feet withnormalvision. For a 60 inch it's about 7.8 feet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if trolling. What other 480 rows of pixels?
I run at 1900x1200 and am just fucking with you.

I agree with you and Shabado that 720 vs 1080 aren't a big deal for most users. Hitting 60fps is so critical though. It's hard to play games that are so fucked that I can't get a reliable 60fps.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I run at 1900x1200 and am just fucking with you.

I agree with you and Shabado that 720 vs 1080 aren't a big deal for most users. Hitting 60fps is so critical though. It's hard to play games that are so fucked that I can't get a reliable 60fps.
Don't troll medicated Seans bro.

And god, I really hope they stop with this 30 FPS bullshit with the next generation, 60 FPS games are super rare. Those PS4 specs should be able to handle 1080p at 60fps fairly easily.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Maybe when they release a FF for PS4 it won't run at 15-19 FPS 50% of the time, that grinded my gears the most about FF13-2

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Looks like all PS4 games will be available digitally.

http://gizmodo.com/5986918/youll-be-...game-digitally

Though we're still waiting to see what the PS4 is going to look like, we definitely have a handle on the guts and how the next gen system will work. And that includes downloading PS4 games digitally. According to Sony exec Shuhei Yoshida, every single PS4 game will be available to download online.

In an interview with The Guardian Yoshida said:

Yoshida_sl said:
We're shifting our platform more and more to the digital side-PS4 will be similar to PS Vita in that every game will be available as a digital download, and some will also be available as a disc.
That'd be nice for gamers who just like to click and buy (and not worry about the used game market, etc.) but what might be even more interesting is a possible subscription model for video games. Yoshida described the possibility, saying:

Yoshida_sl said:
As more and more services and contents become available digitally, we'll have more of an option to create attractive packages. So hypothetically we can look at different models-like a cable TV company. We could have gold, silver or platinum levels of membership, something like that. We can do subscription services when we have more content-especially now that we have the Gaikai technology available. With one subscription you have access to thousands of games-that's our dream.

Caliane

yeah, raw amounts of ram is not really the limiting factor in anything anymore.
HDD speeds, power, transfer rates, etc.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Looks like all PS4 games will be available digitally.

http://gizmodo.com/5986918/youll-be-...game-digitally

Though we're still waiting to see what the PS4 is going to look like, we definitely have a handle on the guts and how the next gen system will work. And that includes downloading PS4 games digitally. According to Sony exec Shuhei Yoshida, every single PS4 game will be available to download online.

In an interview with The Guardian Yoshida said:

That'd be nice for gamers who just like to click and buy (and not worry about the used game market, etc.) but what might be even more interesting is a possible subscription model for video games. Yoshida described the possibility, saying:
Fuck that, I want my physical copies.

Szlia

That'd be nice for gamers who just like to click and buy
It could be nice if they decided to be more aggressive with the pricing, but, sadly, as they depend on brick and mortar stores to sell the consoles, they cannot turn the PS4 into a Trojan Horse, making retail do the indirect promotion of digital sales. In a way, Sony (and Microsoft for that matter) cannot be both a partner (on console and accessory sales) and a competitor (in software sales). Especially considering only Sony (and respectively Microsoft) can sell digitally on their machine. I guess they can sell digital store credits and accessories, but... yeah...

The problem is not the same with the iPod/iTune, because Apple has brick and mortar stores and many if not most the retail outlet that sell iPods do not sell CDs.

The problem is not the same with Steam, because they don't sell hardware (it will be interesting to see how they plan to sell the steambox, but I don't imagine retailers being overjoyed by the idea of selling a PC,that probably will not work with their own digital download solutions, to help the guys who vaporized their PC software sales - NB: maybe Steam galvanized the PC market to the point of increasing B&M sales though).

The problem is not the same with eBook readers because most book shops that sell those also sell eBooks on their web site.

The whole digital distribution thing also raises several other questions: what percentage of customers will always favor the physical media over the digital download if both are available and prices are similar? Will this percentage shrink and floor at a significant value (20%? 30%?) or will it shrink to the point publishers will just stop using physical media? Will physical media make a come-back if game data size grows faster than internet speed improves? 30 years from now, are we doomed to play on emulators the digital only games of the current era? I have dozens of early '80s games, I can play them just fine and I can easily buy more if I want to, but how will I play Half-Life 2 in 2025 considering the only thing on an original HL2 disk is an exe to download and install Steam?

Braen

<Medals Crew>
I need to do a better job when posting articles. It makes it look like I am saying these things, when actually I am just copypasta the page...

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The problem is not the same with the iPod/iTune, because Apple has brick and mortar stores and many if not most the retail outlet that sell iPods do not sell CDs.
Bullshit.
Target, Walmart, Bestbuy, and other digital retailer giants who may have passed since ipod's inception(RIP Circuit City) all sell CDs.

Where are you buying iPods besides the apple store where they don't sell CDs? Bear in mind we are also traveling in the wayback machine to 2000 when the medium was making ground.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I'd love for a console to be fully digital like my PC is, but this is Sony we're talking about and MS is at least as bad. All you need to do is bring up the PSN listing for Siren: Blood Curse to be reminded of why console companies cannot be trusted to run a digital shop without physical competition. Nearly 5 year old game, still the same price as the first day it was released. The physical disc is harder to find now, but you can still import it for ~$30 on Ebay (and get an uncensored version in the process).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised that Sony would be so sloppy with their online game sales. I wonder if there's clauses they signed with big brick and mortar stores that prevent them from lowering their prices below release day value.

Szlia

Where are you buying iPods besides the apple store where they don't sell CDs?
Cell phone shops, general electronics / computer shops... even the post office around here sells iPods and they certainly do not sell CDs. I'll concede though that "many if not most" (implying almost 50%) is wrong because I forgot department stores account for huge chunk of sales of both CDs and iPods. The general point still stands though: it's a product that benefits from a number of retail outlets where the device is not some sort of Trojan Horse.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Bulk of console sales are from department/electronics stores, not from specialized game stores either. No, it's unlikely you'll see many console 'kiosks' because of the package size, but beyond that it's not that different.

Szlia

I'm surprised that Sony would be so sloppy with their online game sales. I wonder if there's clauses they signed with big brick and mortar stores that prevent them from lowering their prices below release day value.
My understanding is that the current practice is that publishers decide the price Sony has to pay them per digital sale and Sony decides for how much the game goes for on the PSN Store. That means Sony has some leeway to make small discounts but has to negotiate on a case per case basis if it wants to make steam-like sales.

Still... these practices could be rethought and the store redesigned and you feel the price it would cost to have a very competent team do that (take a big bag of money and recruit off Amazon or Steam) could be payed a dozen time over by the increased business it would generate.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Fuck that, I want my physical copies.
I think you're on to something in regards to consoles especially, with the cases being uniform so long they are like a dvd collection for most people who buy a decent chunk of games. For PC shit, give me a discount and make that shit digital, I welcome my steam overlords, shit is sick.