The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Fuya_sl

shitlord
I used to go to a local Sony plant once a week to do work there before it was shut down. Talked to the programmers there a lot and the amount of hate those guys had for software that Sony Japan would send over was extremely high. They would tell me on a constant basis that the programmers in Japan can't program for shit forcing them to scrape the software and recreate a new one. Good thing was they would send back the new software and have Sony exec be amazed at what the Americans can do.

Example of one: There was an electronics tool where you had to key in values before executing the program. It was used to adjust drives from my understanding. If you key in the wrong number either by hitting a number button you didn't want to hit or human error well you can go fuck yourself. There was no way to undo the numbers and so you had to let the program run knowing damn well it will give back an error which took about an hour.

I guess I can keep going since I'm no longer under no type of NDA about the plant. All of the computers used by the developers were Dell home computers and this was during the time when Sony actually made and sold home computers. Their reasoning was that Dell can sell them computers cheaper than they could make them. I sat down at many of Dell computers with Japanese text at that plant. Now they did all use Sony laptops when needing to carry a computer around. First laptops I've seen with a finger print scanner where it was just a slit and pass your finger over it. Really cool stuff at the time. They also had a singing robot that would roam around. It was always in the damn way.

DMK_sl

shitlord
All you do is have to look at the PS3 and how it was supposedly "better hardware" then Xbox and yet Xbox was easier to design on, looked as good and most cases ran smoother.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All you do is have to look at the PS3 and how it was supposedly "better hardware" then Xbox and yet Xbox was easier to design on, looked as good and most cases ran smoother.
Better hardware doesn't mean easier to use.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's all you have to do if you want an incomplete understanding on how things work. The cell processor was able to do more flops than the 360. It was just a pain in the ass to work with. In this generation both consoles use an x86 instruction set so they're both going to be much easier to work with than any console generation. The difference between the two consoles, however, is pretty small and I'm still unconvinced that cross platform games will be much different on either of them, especially if developers don't spend that much effort tweaking their products for the better memory of the ps4.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Come join the master race if you want real "next gen"

rMJA5OM.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...etire/2691449/

Microsoft says Steve Ballmer will retire as the company's CEO within 12 months, as the tech giant navigates a rapidly-changing computer market.

In a statement released Friday, Microsoft says Ballmer, 57, will stay on to help search for his successor.

"There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time," Ballmer said in a statement.

Shares of Microsoft surged 9% in early trading off the announcement.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Yeah, that's all you have to do if you want an incomplete understanding on how things work. The cell processor was able to do more flops than the 360. It was just a pain in the ass to work with. In this generation both consoles use an x86 instruction set so they're both going to be much easier to work with than any console generation. The difference between the two consoles, however, is pretty small and I'm still unconvinced that cross platform games will be much different on either of them, especially if developers don't spend that much effort tweaking their products for the better memory of the ps4.
To be honest I don't really need to know the reasons why. The fact of the matter is that games usually ran better on the 360 then the PS3 due to a decision that Sony made. This could happen again in this generation. It probably won't but what we do know is last generation it did.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/08/2...lacking-on-ps4

BF4 graphics lacking on the PS4... This could also be the case with the Xbone unfortunately we don't know yet.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
To be honest I don't really need to know the reasons why. The fact of the matter is that games usually ran better on the 360 then the PS3 due to a decision that Sony made. This could happen again in this generation. It probably won't but what we do know is last generation it did.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/08/2...lacking-on-ps4

BF4 graphics lacking on the PS4... This could also be the case with the Xbone unfortunately we don't know yet.
To one person, on a beta state product, that misquotes resolution according to DICE themselves reporting for a small continents IGN that from what I've seen here quoted here to be 360 lopsided in sales even more than the US.

Only comment I've seen mentioned elsewhere were slow drawin at times, which would manifest as one thing he mentioned while it occurred. And note that quote was about the PC run version a few months ago which with recent optimization apparently fixed it.

Additionally note being that there's a PS3 version in the works too its not impossible they're using the PS3 textures while they finalize the PS4 ones should the PC ones need some tweaking for it.

Or more in short - most is subjective and possibly wrong today or before release - and confirmation from others in the field doesn't seem to exist.

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's a lot more than that just "better memory" for the PS4. The PS4 has a much more powerful GPU, much faster memory, a more advanced bus architecture, and is far easier to work with. To get the Xbone versions working at all they have to do a lot more work than the PS4 versions due to the extra customization they have to do for the Xbone's shitty memory architecture.

That difference is not small, it really isn't. A lot of the extra power lets them use the scalability of engines to take advantage of it too and it's not like the PS3 where they have to do some extreme level of work to pull extra power out of the machine. Plus, there's a lot more than that with how the PS4's bus architecture is set up to with GPU Compute that developers can take advantage of down the road to pull even more power out of the system.

You also don't give developers enough credit, they are not so lazy that they will just slap the Xbone's code in there and call it a day. That wouldn't work at all to begin with. Plus there are great developers out there like CD Projekt RED who will look to max out the systems:http://stickskills.com/2013/07/20/th...-ps4-xbox-one/

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
When the fat girl starts running down the hill she keeps running. Even when she knows she needs to stop, then she starts to fall busting her ass and then she will roll and then roll some more until she craters and the blubber friction brings her to a stop. As her friends try to lift her panting, sweaty ass they eventually give up leaving her there to leave her fat ass footprint like a giant whale that just breached the ocean.

Microsoft is ruining full speed and only now just realizing they can't stop. The bitch has a way to fall and roll before anything will change

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
When the fat girl starts running down the hill she keeps running. Even when she knows she needs to stop, then she starts to fall busting her ass and then she will roll and then roll some more until she craters and the blubber friction brings her to a stop. As her friends try to lift her panting, sweaty ass they eventually give up leaving her there to leave her fat ass footprint like a giant whale that just breached the ocean.

Microsoft is ruining full speed and only now just realizing they can't stop. The bitch has a way to fall and roll before anything will change
Meh, not to derail, but I think if you could find the right hard ass like Steve Jobs it could change. The entire culture of Microsoft is one of "good enough". The best example of this would definitely be the Surface and Windows 8. You know damn well pretty much everyone who played with them saw the glaring defects, but everyone checked it off as good enough. Jobs would've played with Windows 8 and the Surface for all of ten minutes before saying "How the fuck do I shut this thing off!", and then promptly telling them to get back to work.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I've got a launch day edition PS4 on preorder with Amazon.

Getting an XBone sometime down the line is 100% dependent on the exclusive games released for the system. I don't give a rat's behind about any streaming or other entertainment features of the system. If I buy it or not will be completely determined by the games for the system. It took awhile for the PS3 to catch up but, in my opinion, PS3 exclusives are FAR better than 360 exclusives (Demon's Souls, Last of Us, Uncharted as a few examples).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
All the bickering over which system is more powerful, or has better graphics is almost completely useless. Every system generation to date has had it's winner decided by who has the most interesting unique software(and more often than not, it's the less-powerful system winning the sales battle).

NES crushed the technically superior Sega Master System thanks to the likes of Mario and Zelda.

Genesis crushed SNES through the majority of the 16-bit lifecycle(Genesis outsold SNES in America until it was discontinued in 1995, whereas Nintendo kept making the SNES for several more years, thus eventually pulling ahead in sales)despite being quite a bit less powerful

The 32-bit PS1 crushed the 64-bit N64

PS2 might be the only system that won, and was the better piece of technology, compared to the Xbox(but that comparison is subjective. PS2 is more powerful in some departments, but is the lesser machine in others. There's no real clear dominant technology in this generation)

Xbox 360 won out handily in North America over the more powerful PS3.

The PS4 being more powerful means absolutely nothing if they don't have a LOT of unique software that people want. They better have a pretty solid exclusive library built up by the time the next Halo shows up on the XB1, or they could be in trouble again.

So out of the last 5 generations of consoles, only once has the superior hardware won and sold more systems.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Come join the master race if you want real "next gen"

rMJA5OM.jpg
I guess that puts into perspective how 'weak' the PS4 and Xbox One are. An overclocked 7850 with an i5 can run BF3 at 1080p, 60fps, ultra w/ fxaa, and I imagine it'll be able to run BF4 similarly well. Disappointing.