The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Braen

<Medals Crew>
many features of the Kinect aren't available at launch for all regions that the XBone is releasing in.

More specifically, the voice features.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You tell the kinect how to understand a welsch accent, go ahead and try.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Sony plans to enter the virtual reality gaming space in a big way with PlayStation 4, Eurogamer can reveal.

Amid the growing popularity of the Oculus Rift VR headset among the development community and a small number of gamers, Sony has been working on a rival device for its next-gen console, and it is on track to be revealed in 2014.

Multiple sources have indicated to Eurogamer that Sony's VR headset will work similarly to Oculus'. Internally, the device has been demonstrated with Evolution Studios' PS4 racer DriveClub, with players able to look around the cockpit of a car.
More here -http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-playstation-4

This could be interesting. After getting some hands on time with the Oculus Rift last week, I can't wait to get my hands on a VR headset for my home setup. Hopefully Sony's solution will be as good as the Rift.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I haven't heard good things about Sony's HMDs.
Meh, I'm sure they'll fix the FOV and weight issues for this generation. They've already added head tracking.

I've heard the Sony display quality destroys the Occulus

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
To be fair from what my bro-in-law has stated with his, almost anything could destroy the default Occulus display quality - he's been tinkering a ton to get another screen to work on his because of his disappointment with it. (With mixed results thusfar)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, they use OLED displays like the PS Vita. I'm hoping that the Rift can get them into their final production model as well, but it might push the system out of their intended price-range.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Meh, I'm sure they'll fix the FOV and weight issues for this generation. They've already added head tracking.

Where did you hear anything about the sony display?

The current oculus dev kits have shit displays, I guess the 1080p prototypes they have are much better but still not quite high resolution enough. Which is pretty exciting to think about given how much fov you have to get to have that problem. I'm guessing they'll need ~1600 verticle pixels to do it right, and eventually they'll need to move the fov from 90 to 160 or something and maybe use flexible display.

Fuck the VR field is exciting, can't wait to get an oculus or something similar.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
How would your weapon aim work on a FPS game with the VR headset? Would your gun move with your head movements?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They've had some limited support for that. It's the kind of thing that will be solved with iterative improvements I imagine. Personally I can't imagine having any head movement being used in an fps or any game where you can control the camera without delay.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They've had some limited support for that. It's the kind of thing that will be solved with iterative improvements I imagine. Personally I can't imagine having any head movement being used in an fps or any game where you can control the camera without delay.
I remember playing a Vr fps type game like 20 years ago. I felt fucking retarded and couldn't hit anything. Found an article from 20 years back about the place I used to go.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ity-vr-headset

Quaid

Trump's Staff
How would your weapon aim work on a FPS game with the VR headset? Would your gun move with your head movements?
Honestly... Don't hate me... But I bet Kinect or PSeye would could work pretty well with tracking where your gun was pointed while having the headset independently control where your head was.

Or maybe I'm having some kind of weird perspective disconnect. Fucking VR.

@Tuco: just some forum I was browsing earlier today. Pretty unanimous.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Having used both, the Sony headset and the Oculus Rift are incomparable. The Oculus Rift takes over your entire vision. It transports you to another world. The Sony headset, on the other hand, shows you a large-ish rectangle in the center of your vision where movies/games/etc. are shown. It's like watching a TV in a really, really dark room. Sure, the Sony headset is sharper and more detailed, but it doesn't provide half as much immersion as the Rift.

The current oculus dev kits have shit displays, I guess the 1080p prototypes they have are much better but still not quite high resolution enough. Which is pretty exciting to think about given how much fov you have to get to have that problem. I'm guessing they'll need ~1600 verticle pixels to do it right, and eventually they'll need to move the fov from 90 to 160 or something and maybe use flexible display.
I can see this being a problem for Sony, assuming they do release a VR helmet for the PS4. Next gen console games, on the whole, are aiming for 1080p30, and, to be totally honest, they don't look too impressive. A lot of graphical compromises would have to be made to get those games running at 1600p60 or even 1080p60.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The thing that Sony has out right now isn't an Oculus Rift type. It's just their 3D movie headset. I'm sure the true VR helmet will be better.