The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I can't believe they went with that controller for the Vita TV (ViTV?). Not only will it not play any Vita games that use the touchscreen, it won't be able to play any PS4 games that require the use of that mousepad either!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That was a cool commercial, Still. Thanks for the link. I promise that I'll never get a chance to play my PS4 as connected as that, but I'm still looking forward to owning one. Should be fun.

Stillborn_sl

shitlord
From the press release (see previous post)

PlayStation?4 (PS4TM) remote play
As with PS Vita, PS Vita TV will also support PS4TM remote play and Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK?4) through future system software update*4. This will allow users to enjoy most of the PS4TM games on PS Vita TV as if they are playing it on the PS4TM system.
I can't believe they went with that controller for the Vita TV (ViTV?). Not only will it not play any Vita games that use the touchscreen, it won't be able to play any PS4 games that require the use of that mousepad either!

Xalara

Golden Squire
Beneath the interface Windows 8 blows Windows 7 away. Unfortunately, for consumer operating systems, the interface is 90% of the product so yeah Windows 8 sucks. Luckily Microsoft is backing off from Metro in 8.1 and is likely in full retreat for Windows 9.

Also yeah the Oculus is awesome. I have a dev kit myself and have been playing with it. I am interested to see Sony's take given that was their super expensive headsets that inspired the Rift. Namely Sony tried using crazy and expensive optics to get you a wide field of view whereas Oculus just distorts the image in combination with a cheap lens for the same result.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Windows 8 is fine. People are just so against change they refuse to even try it. If you don't like the full screen stuff it takes literally 5 minutes to disable all of those programs and install a regular start menu. Multi monitor support, uefi boot, ssd support, plenty of features in win8 that make it worth using, but people see Metro and just refuse to even bother.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
ViTV is an automatic day-1 buy for me when I get a PS4. Being able to extend my games to another TV in my house and giving me the ability to play handheld games without the bullshit hassles of handheld systems (small screen, uncomfortable use) is going to be great. Honestly I kind of wish they'd make a PS4 bundle that included the ViTV @ $499.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ronne,

I had Win8 for a little while. I had grown accustom to Win7's "aero" menu. Win8 completely removed that. Everything was boxy and without any sort of transparency. As a result, the UI looked "old". Even when I did everything humanly possible to make it Win7-esque. I'm a PC guy, not a Tablet, so I didn't like the generic UI from Win8. Even after all my changes, it still sucked. This isn't a matter of I was used to something else and ran from changes. I legitimately did not like the Win8 experience.

As a result, I went back to 7. The end.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Vita TV definitely makes me debate if we'll do a second PS4 or not once games come out that the wife wants and/or if I'll get a second Vita for Remote Play since I can't imagine we'll both want to RP that often.

Definitely looks cool regardless though - definitely curious. (Much like the TiVo Stream I'll be purchasing with my Roamio once I upgrade my TiVo box in a couple months)

The Master

Bronze Squire
Windows 8 is fine. People are just so against change they refuse to even try it. If you don't like the full screen stuff it takes literally 5 minutes to disable all of those programs and install a regular start menu. Multi monitor support, uefi boot, ssd support, plenty of features in win8 that make it worth using, but people see Metro and just refuse to even bother.
Except people tried it and switched back. Doesn't matter if a Windows OS has more features if it fails to actually be a better user experience. Which has been the case for every other Windows OS for some reason. Windows 9 will no doubt be fine if the trend continues.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just wonder how a Vita TV will actually work.
Will the PS4 have to work 2x as hard to render everything and just transfer the stream of that game to the 2nd user? Or is the game going to look bad if it's rendered on the Vita TV.

That is unless Vita TV only allows you to play the same game that the PS4 is currently playing. More like a multi-player option without going for a split screen kind of thing. *shrugs*

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Call it the best os in the world but sales and adoption rates show a different story. They practically gave it away to people updating at launch and now can't sell it.

One good thing I guess is pc makers can blame it for shitty sales.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
nice little article on the ViTV
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/0...-tv-streaming/

and if you don't feel like clicking

From Article_sl said:
Sony?s newPlayStation Vita TV lets you play over 1,300 PlayStation Vita gameson your television, essentially transforming the handheld platform into a low-cost, low-profile home game console.

But if Sony gets everything right ? and that?s a big if ? PS Vita TV could become much more than a low-cost alternative to high-end game consoles. It could itself become a high-end game console.

As it stands, PS Vita TV is already a pretty attractive value. It?s a low-cost (9,954 yen in Japan, which will surely translate to $99.99 for the eventual U.S. launch) machine with a big library. In Japan, Sony has a massive collection of games on its PlayStation Network download service that will work with Vita TV right out of the box. Most of these games are from the libraries of the original PlayStation console and the PSP. Throw in the ability to play Vita native games and use video streaming services and it?s an attractive set-top box, something on the order of Apple TV or Ouya, but with all the power of PlayStation behind it.

Vita TV can also be used as a sort of Slingbox for the PlayStation 4. Buy Sony?s $399 next-gen game machine when it hits this year, and you?ll be able to hook up a Vita TV to your secondary television and stream your PS4 games from one room to another.
But the potential game-changer is Gaikai, thegame streaming service that Sony acquired last yearfor $380 million.
Gaikai?s technology allows users to play games that are being processed not on the hardware they own but on remote servers. The scenario that Sony has laid out so far is that even though the upcoming PlayStation 4 will not be natively compatible with games from the PlayStation 3, Sony could stream those games to PS4.

Recently, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe?s CEO said that the plan is toroll out Gaikai on PlayStation 4 in North America in 2014, then eventually bring the service to PlayStation 3 and Vita.

That means that Sony already plans to let PlayStation Vita TV users, at some point, play PS3 content via streaming. If it can get that up and running, there?s no reason it couldn?t do the same with PlayStation 4 content as well. The technical challenge of streaming games has nothing to do with the power of the server-side hardware, it?s all about minimizing input lag and scaling the service so it won?t choke under the weight of millions of PlayStation owners.

And that?s really the big ?if? here; can Sony solve these technical issues so that streaming can be a viable replacement for owning the actual hardware? If it can craft a service that reasonably meets players? expectations, it might be able to seriously expand the reach of the PlayStation 4 platform.

This is all contingent, of course, on the PS Vita TV actually selling well enough to make such a move worthwhile. Value is in the eye of the beholder; there may simply not be a big enough audience out there that wants a $100 game console in the first place.
But if it does catch on, it could be the best home for the Gaikai service. Playing PlayStation 3 content on PS4 would be a neat additional feature that few players would really take advantage of ? why play your old games when you can play so many brand new ones? But playing next-generation console games on a $100 box that fits in the palm of your hand? That could be the biggest deal of all.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I upgraded to windows 7 from xp just because it had better SSD support. I don't see any such advantages in windows8. I've seen some marginal improvements to performance but to me the OS is just a vehicle for the applications and I've seen zero reason to switch. I imagine by the time win9 rolls around there will be some kind of driver-reason to upgrade.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just canceled my preorder for both my XBone and PS4. I just don't see a point at getting a launch one of either and maybe I am just not excited about console gaming any more.

Elerion

N00b
I'm considering cancelling my PS4 as well, since all the launch games suck or are better played on PC (for both consoles, with the possible exception of Forza). There is always a small chance that the launch edition has hardware issues, or that XBone for some reason turns out to be the better console.

Then again, I want a new FIFA. And I like toys. Still undecided. Definitely going with the PS4 if I get one at launch though.

kudos

<Banned>
I'm considering cancelling my PS4 as well, since all the launch games suck or are better played on PC (for both consoles, with the possible exception of Forza). There is always a small chance that the launch edition has hardware issues, or that XBone for some reason turns out to be the better console.

Then again, I want a new FIFA. And I like toys. Still undecided. Definitely going with the PS4 if I get one at launch though.
FIFA will be on PC.

I cancelled my PS4 preorder and got $100 in gas gift cards from gamestop instead.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This might be a stupid question but will this Vita tv let you buy and play Vita games with out owning a Vita?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
if i can do PS4 co-op on another tv using the VitaTV shit il be all over that. No more split screens? Check!