The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Windows 8 is fine. People are just so against change they refuse to even try it. If you don't like the full screen stuff it takes literally 5 minutes to disable all of those programs and install a regular start menu. Multi monitor support, uefi boot, ssd support, plenty of features in win8 that make it worth using, but people see Metro and just refuse to even bother.
Windows 8 is fine because you can remove everything that makes Windows 8 Windows 8 and instead create Windows 7 out of Windows 8.

Yeah. Okay.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You didn't actually read my post did you. The interface stuff is not the reason to use Windows 8. Metro/tiles are just a hamfisted attempt to strengthen their tablet market and it has pretty much failed miserably. The start screen is even gone in 8.1. There are plenty of other legitimate reasons to use Windows 8 though, especially if you're on a laptop and want to use a ssd or hybrid drive.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Do you have an article that shows the improvements to handling of SSD for win8 over win7?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Windows 7 can handle SSDs fine, but you usually have to go manually enable TRIM and disable things like indexing and such. Windows 8 just does all of it automagically, so the end result is the same, but for non-tech people running SSD/hyrbids in laptops (almost every ultrabook) it can mean a lot. It isn't really a performance thing, but a convenience/longevity thing.

I'm not going to white knight Windows 8 forever here, but I'm just saying it got a bum rap based completely on a shitty cosmetic decision.

Link:http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-ne...ealth-comfort/

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Windows 8 does have some other file system things you can do that are pretty advanced that trim filesizes down and I hear that ReFS is getting better and better and will be an option for all users in 8.1 as well.

I can't remember the quasi compression technique they use which is only for servers normally but that you can activate on Win 8 for some interesting benefits.

Win8 for sure has a bad rap. I never ever saw my start screen except on initial boot, I would then run chrome and mirc and those when minimized would go to the desktop and never had to see the start menu again unless I hit the start button. That was with zero tweaks at all.

The Master

Bronze Squire
So, for tech people, Windows 7 is just as good as Windows 8 for SSDs, because they know how to enable TRIM and it isn't an issue at all. So Windows 8 represents a null upgrade, with a significant downgrade in the UI. I'm ignoring the other poor decisions (and there are many).

For non-tech people, who often look at SSDs, see the price tag, look over at the HDD and see the quintuple space for a quarter of the price... well, they don't usually even have an SSD. So any optimization on that front does nothing for them. These are the people who, no matter if it is adjustable with third-party mods, are basically stuck with the default UI of an OS, because they simply don't know enough to adjust it. And that UI is basically unusable to these people, which is the vast majority of computer users still. People in this forum are exceptions, not the rule.

Having a bad UI is a non-starter, especially if it requires third party mods to work for people. It doesn't matter how good the OS is (and, frankly, Windows 8 is nothing to write home about from a technical stand point, it has some interesting compression, but we're talking marginal benefits across the board). Imagine a video game with a UI so bad the game was unplayable. Sure, some people would keep playing and two months later there might be a community mod or a patch that makes it slightly less fucked.... but the game is dead at that point. That is Windows 8.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Windows 7 can handle SSDs fine, but you usually have to go manually enable TRIM and disable things like indexing and such. Windows 8 just does all of it automagically, so the end result is the same, but for non-tech people running SSD/hyrbids in laptops (almost every ultrabook) it can mean a lot. It isn't really a performance thing, but a convenience/longevity thing.

I'm not going to white knight Windows 8 forever here, but I'm just saying it got a bum rap based completely on a shitty cosmetic decision.

Link:http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-ne...ealth-comfort/
Thanks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've never heard of TRIM and have an SSD on Windows 7. Just checked and apparently Windows 7 enabled it by default.
It's enabled by default if your bios is properly configured to use AHCI standards for interfacing with your SSD instead of IDE.

spronk

FPS noob
there are a million little things under the hood which makes windows 8 a superior OS - for example its the first tickless kernel from microsoft, which is far superior for power consumption. Intels Ivy Bridge and higher support SMEP protection which is much more secure against non-kernel attack code. Its got better memory protection with ASLR+DEP, to prevent rogue apps from stack overflow exploiting. Theres a bajillion other things like this that make it a better OS, that is all ruined by the goddamn stupid UI decisions they made with Metro and Start. It makes no sense at all to run a 2010+ computer with anything other than Win8 (or Linux, etc) though, if you can play a video game you can definitely install Start8 or the other Metro-killer apps that turns the UI back into what you are used to.

anyways should move this discussion to the technical forum it has nothing to do with ps4/xbone. Still 2 months before it ships, haven't cancelled my ps4 preorder yet in the hope of something exciting from Naughty Dog.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You frightened me as a programmer by saying tickless kernel, but it turns out it's very different than what I first thought.

None of the stuff you mentioned sounds that great. It all seems like stuff targeted at non-desktop PCs.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's largely targeted at trying to fix the fucking wasteland of adware/spyware/viral issues that 90% of the PC userbase deals with.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Will all three consoles using AMD gpus mean much for PC other then better performance with ports?

Sean_sl

shitlord
Will all three consoles using AMD gpus mean much for PC other then better performance with ports?
It's possible. Theremayvery well be more AMD optimization than Nvidia/Intel optimization, but it's really not something we'll really know until a couple years from now I imagine.