The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Veil_sl

shitlord
You should really just stop posting. Lower resolution is *always* worse image quality, there is no debate.
Fuck me for trying to have a grown up conversation. Really dude? If you could put down the koolaid for like 1 minute. Do you know how much of an idiot you sound like when you make a grand sweeping statement like this and are completely wrong? Anyone remember that voice in the dark talking about how WOW textures made it look better than Vanguard way back when? There are a million things that make up and affect image quality, resolution is 1 of them. The humidity from your neckbeard as you fap to the microtextures on your new ds4, may be raising the temperature in your room enough to impact your frame rate. When you imply that all we know is resolution between the two consoles, again you are wrong. You are making another statement with no basis in reality. There is no question that xb1 does 1080p. There is a question as to how easy it is to make it happen, and what the impacts are when its not 1080p. You realize that the ps4 may have games that are only scaling to 1080p as well right? FFS dude, when you go on and on about the PS4 having double the ROPS, and other technical information, it inspired me to take a look at the issues at hand myself, little did I know it was all just a Sony rimjob. Stick to posting about how the bumpers(triggers?) on the xbox only have 30% of them available for clicking and how microtextures are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

The Master

Bronze Squire
He isn't wrong though. When you have the same game on two different platforms, using the same exact same engine, art assets, textures, etc., the only difference in graphical quality is resolution. Xbox is running most games at 720-900 and upscaling. All the PS4 games are running at 1080. So for $100 less, you are getting a better system, with better resolution. There isn't a "debate" about that. Whether that will continue to be the case is unlikely, devs will get better at dealing with the Xbox's hardware, but things like draw distances, etc., will always be better on the PS4. There is just more power to work with. So just like the 360 was last generation, anything that is cross-platform (and if you aren't buying it on PC) will be best on the PS4. So the Xbox will have the place the PS3 did last generation: only buy it if there are exclusives that matter to you. Considering most of the Xbox games will wind up on PC, that thins the list of exclusives substantially.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Indeed - XBOne might occasionally catch up, that's true - but surpassing is a pipedream.

Veil_sl

shitlord
He isn't wrong though. When you have the same game on two different platforms, using the same exact same engine, art assets, textures, etc., the only difference in graphical quality is resolution. Xbox is running most games at 720-900 and upscaling. All the PS4 games are running at 1080. So for $100 less, you are getting a better system, with better resolution. There isn't a "debate" about that. Whether that will continue to be the case is unlikely, devs will get better at dealing with the Xbox's hardware, but things like draw distances, etc., will always be better on the PS4. There is just more power to work with. So just like the 360 was last generation, anything that is cross-platform (and if you aren't buying it on PC) will be best on the PS4. So the Xbox will have the place the PS3 did last generation: only buy it if there are exclusives that matter to you. Considering most of the Xbox games will wind up on PC, that thins the list of exclusives substantially.
Resolution is a common denominator, but the architecture of the consoles is I'd say is wildly different. Pure processing power is most prominent when at full load, and again, all other things are equal. You are absolutely right, When dealing with mirrored products you grab the one that is cheaper and has shinier specs. Problem is, they are not. Its really not that simple. It would be so easy if it were. I'm really not trying to be an xb1 apologist, I could care less what console anyone is getting. But stating that ps4 is going to be graphically superior just doesn't seem to be accurate. I know "noticeable" is a very subjective term, but for me if you can't tell without being told, it don't fucking matter. All I can remember about the last generation of dick waving was rolling my eyes. Guess that's me again.

I'm not really going to get into the price point difference I understand for the vast majority of core gamers, Kinect is a non issue, and I think its pretty dumb for MS not to have a sku forgoing it. When I hear the rational for making it mandatory, it makes sense, I'll just leave it at that. I agree that for a good portion of the population exclusives becomes the biggest reason to buy one.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Fuck me for trying to have a grown up conversation. Really dude? If you could put down the koolaid for like 1 minute. Do you know how much of an idiot you sound like when you make a grand sweeping statement like this and are completely wrong? Anyone remember that voice in the dark talking about how WOW textures made it look better than Vanguard way back when? There are a million things that make up and affect image quality, resolution is 1 of them. The humidity from your neckbeard as you fap to the microtextures on your new ds4, may be raising the temperature in your room enough to impact your frame rate. When you imply that all we know is resolution between the two consoles, again you are wrong. You are making another statement with no basis in reality. There is no question that xb1 does 1080p. There is a question as to how easy it is to make it happen, and what the impacts are when its not 1080p. You realize that the ps4 may have games that are only scaling to 1080p as well right? FFS dude, when you go on and on about the PS4 having double the ROPS, and other technical information, it inspired me to take a look at the issues at hand myself, little did I know it was all just a Sony rimjob. Stick to posting about how the bumpers(triggers?) on the xbox only have 30% of them available for clicking and how microtextures are the coolest thing since sliced bread.
I see you've met Sean.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Resolution is a common denominator, but the architecture of the consoles is I'd say is wildly different. Pure processing power is most prominent when at full load, and again, all other things are equal. You are absolutely right, When dealing with mirrored products you grab the one that is cheaper and has shinier specs. Problem is, they are not. Its really not that simple. It would be so easy if it were. I'm really not trying to be an xb1 apologist, I could care less what console anyone is getting. But stating that ps4 is going to be graphically superior just doesn't seem to be accurate. I know "noticeable" is a very subjective term, but for me if you can't tell without being told, it don't fucking matter. All I can remember about the last generation of dick waving was rolling my eyes. Guess that's me again.

I'm not really going to get into the price point difference I understand for the vast majority of core gamers, Kinect is a non issue, and I think its pretty dumb for MS not to have a sku forgoing it. When I hear the rational for making it mandatory, it makes sense, I'll just leave it at that. I agree that for a good portion of the population exclusives becomes the biggest reason to buy one.
You can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720/900p? That is fine is so, but a lot of people can. Also, what about the hardware says equal to you? Is it Xbone's weaker gpu or less powerful and harder to program for ram?

It isn't the end of the world if the consoles aren't on equal ground. I love my ps3 last gen for the most part. However, the weaker console shouldn't be more expensive, more restrictive, with worse exclusives, and the company running that console is creating the ultimate case study in how to completely destroy good will and brand loyalty.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It doesn't "require" one. But it makes things nicer if you have one.

Xbox one doesn't "require" one either... but you have to install the day 1 patch in order to not require one, so in actuality it requires one to not require one.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Xbox one doesn't "require" one either... but you have to install the day 1 patch in order to not require one, so in actuality it requires one to not require one.
Theres a "yo dawg I heard you like always on connections" joke in here somewhere.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It doesn't "require" one. But it makes things nicer if you have one.

Can I get this patch in some form other than an online connection?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I remember how vociferously Sean shitted on XB1 for requiring an internet connection and now I find out that I can't play a POS4 without an internet connection.

Certainly, I expect Sean to address this matter with equal fervor and outrage.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I remember how vociferously Sean shitted on XB1 for requiring an internet connection and now I find out that I can't play a POS4 without an internet connection.

Certainly, I expect Sean to address this matter with equal fervor and outrage.
No, you read wrong bro, people aren't being clear and its led to some confusion. Neither require online. The PS4 doesn't require online at all. The patch to remove always online is for the Xbox one, not the PS4. The Xbox One will require you to go online the first time you plug it up to download the day one patch that removes the always online feature. The issues with the question Tuco had was related to whether some sort of multiplayer online issues might affect single player games. I'm still not exactly sure what he was referencing or exactly asking.

However, I'm certain that if you try to download games from the Sony Online store, instead of buying hard copies, it will be a huge pain in the ass to download them on launch day. Almost guaranteed unless Sony has really upped their infrastructure for the launch.

I hope this helps clarify the issue for you.

There will not be an internet connection required to plug in a PS4 and play a game on launch day.

There is a big online patch for the PS4 on launch day that's going to enable a bunch of new features though, according to news that came out today/yesterday.

PS4 Day One Patch Detailed by Sony - IGN

The patch will enable you to make use of the Remote Play and Second Screen features with your Vita, as well as the ability to record, upload and broadcast gameplay and screenshots, or to spectate others. It'll also let you play games while they're downloading, make use of party chat, use face recognition and voice commands through the PlayStation Camera.

The patch will be required for anyone wanting to make use of online multiplayer or the Blu-ray and DVD player functionality of the console. It'll also let you listen to background music on your console while playing a game.

The post also reveals that up to four players will be able to log in to a single PS4 system simultaneously, accessing their separate data to play games and earn trophies on their individual accounts, even if playing multiplayer together on a single PS4.

Having said that, there are some features that it seems will miss the console's launch. The biggest of these is the suspend/resume mode, which allows you to continue your game right where you left off the second you boot up the PS4. That'll apparently be introduced in a future patch.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
So I cant get all the features I am entitled to without being online?

I hope they mail me a floppy with the patch.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I think these are new features but I could be wrong. Most of them involve Vita integration, which most people won't use because no one owns a vita lol.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Being required to be online all the time, even to play single player games, is far different from having to download a patch.