The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Dizzam_sl

shitlord
So for $100 less, you are getting a better system, with better resolution.
I'm getting the XB1, and I completely agree with this statement, if by "better system" you mean more powerful. I'm not sure that anyone (sane) is debating that. If you know anything about how this technology works, all you have to do is look at the specs and it's obvious the PS4 is more powerful. It's also obvious that will translate into better performance.

However, the "extra" $100 is more than worth it for me. My wife and I (and I'm assuming our kids in a couple years) are big fans of the Kinect. I'm into the "all-in-one entertainment" aspect. My friends are on Xbox. I'm more interested in the Xbox exclusives. The list goes on. I'm not at all disagreeing with you. In fact, I think I am agreeing with you.

Who knows though, I'm also a part of the group that wishes Microsoft hadn't backtracked on all of its plans. Knee-jerk reaction from a bunch of retards made my XB1 not as good as it could have been.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Who knows though, I'm also a part of the group that wishes Microsoft hadn't backtracked on all of its plans. Knee-jerk reaction from a bunch of retards made my XB1 not as good as it could have been.
This was a fair post up until this part. This is pure inane batshittery.Every single oneof Microsoft's plans were Anti-Consumer. They offered all stick and no carrot. The only glimpse of some "benefit" that they were offering was the Family Plan Thing which turned out to be a complete load of horse shit and nothing but a play restricted, timed demo that you could give out to 10 people (and a feature already standard foranyPS+ subscriber on the PS3).

Note that thing is also a thing that they could easily still do (Sony does it right now!) without having to have their atrocious DRM.

Sean_sl

shitlord
New PS4 faq stuff:http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/ps4-faq/

NCfTxnz.jpg

Oolna1Z.jpg

1q3TMrF.jpg

o4s90rZ.jpg

J0qpfhH.jpg

Sean_sl

shitlord
More game install size leaks:Xbox One Games Are Going to Take Up Massive Hard Drive Space Too | Side Mission | GameTrailers

A couple photos of some Xbox One case back covers have been uploaded to the internet, which reveals some information including some huge game installation sizes for Ryse, Dead Rising 3, and Forza Motorsport 5.

User BenneyBopper posted these photos on Reddit after spotting these cases at an EB Games location. The cases reveal that Dead Rising 3 will require up to 35 GB of HDD storage and will have 1-2 person co-op play over Xbox Live but no local co-op. Ryse will require up to 47 GB and will feature impulse triggers and 1-2 person co-op over Xbox Live, as well as optional Kinect voice support. Forza Motorsport 5 will require up to 35 GB of storage and will support Kinect voice features and force feedback wheels as well as 1-2 person local multiplayer and 2-16 players online.

These massive installations are comparable to a couple PlayStation 4 games as it was confirmed that Killzone Shadow Fall will take about 39 GB of HDD storage. A cover jacket for Call of Duty: Ghosts revealed a minimum installation of 49 GB.

It looks like these large game installation sizes will become a norm into next-gen if the information on these game cases are accurate. I'm not so sure what to think about this considering both next-gen consoles are packing a 500 GB HDD, which can easily be filled with about 10-14 games. What was seen as large hard drives may actually be smaller than we expected.

PlayStation 4 hard drives are user replaceable while the Xbox One hard drive is not, though players will be able to extend storage capacity with USB external hard drives. However, theXbox One will not support external hard drives at launch but will come at a future date.
Dead Rising 3: 35 GB
Forza 5: 35 GB
Ryse: 47 GB

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
47GB still blows my mind. I'd love to see an article by an expert in texture compression describing why the size is so large.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Does Ryse have actual 1080p video cutscenes or is it entirely real-time? Actual Blu-Ray video would take up a shitload of room as well.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Leaked image of Ryse's control scheme

rrr_img_47849.jpg

obviously fake so laugh about it

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
^Hah.

So it looks like PS4 caches data during play instead of install. This might mean that you don't actually need 49gb of space taken up by the game, but only need that free space while playing(ie: you could put another disk in and use that same free space to cache). It's not entirely clear, really.

Twitter / yosp: @DiamondDM13 its automatic, ...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"it's automatic, not install but caching data" haha that's so ambiguous.

Hopefully for console player's sake that's just the recommended disk space needed to play and not the installed size.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That later date for the external support better come quick or there will be some delicious tears. So glad Sony is allowing internal replacement.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
47GB still blows my mind. I'd love to see an article by an expert in texture compression describing why the size is so large.
Xbox One games completely install, nothing is played from the disc during gameplay. Not sure if that's the case with PS4 or not.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Xbox One games completely install, nothing is played from the disc during gameplay. Not sure if that's the case with PS4 or not.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same on both. Mandatory full installs means the game engines don't have to worry about loading assets from bluray disks - and if you buy into the digital download future, there (probably) won't be a bluray disk for the game anyway, so why code for one...

The consequence is of course that some games are going to take longer to download than to play through.

I can see a lot of PS4s getting hard drives swapped out.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same on both. Mandatory full installs means the game engines don't have to worry about loading assets from bluray disks - and if you buy into the digital download future, there (probably) won't be a bluray disk for the game anyway, so why code for one...

The consequence is of course that some games are going to take longer to download than to play through.

I can see a lot of PS4s getting hard drives swapped out.
Both consoles mitigate that though, Killzone for example I think is the first example with real data, after the first 7.5gb you can play the game (that's the first level and infrastructure for the game). Surely some games will be a bit smaller than 7.5gb to get going, if that's a typical example it doesn't change much for many.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Resolution is a common denominator, but the architecture of the consoles is I'd say is wildly different. Pure processing power is most prominent when at full load, and again, all other things are equal. You are absolutely right, When dealing with mirrored products you grab the one that is cheaper and has shinier specs. Problem is, they are not. Its really not that simple. It would be so easy if it were. I'm really not trying to be an xb1 apologist, I could care less what console anyone is getting. But stating that ps4 is going to be graphically superior just doesn't seem to be accurate. I know "noticeable" is a very subjective term, but for me if you can't tell without being told, it don't fucking matter. All I can remember about the last generation of dick waving was rolling my eyes. Guess that's me again.

I'm not really going to get into the price point difference I understand for the vast majority of core gamers, Kinect is a non issue, and I think its pretty dumb for MS not to have a sku forgoing it. When I hear the rational for making it mandatory, it makes sense, I'll just leave it at that. I agree that for a good portion of the population exclusives becomes the biggest reason to buy one.
You should be in politics. I have not read so much bullshit spin and conjecture double speak riff raft in my entire life.

Xbones ram infrastructure is inferior. They fucked up. It's harder to design for, it has less to work with. It will impact design and final product. Get the fuck over it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Right - he doesn't seem to get that BETTER isn't subjective, preference is as well as visual acuity. But at its core BETTER is an absolute - if your vision sucks great for you that N64 and PS4 look similar to you - doesn't change that one is absolutely better.

(And yes I am referencing levels that are probably legally blind for effect....)

Dizzam_sl

shitlord
This was a fair post up until this part. This is pure inane batshittery.Every single oneof Microsoft's plans were Anti-Consumer. They offered all stick and no carrot. The only glimpse of some "benefit" that they were offering was the Family Plan Thing which turned out to be a complete load of horse shit and nothing but a play restricted, timed demo that you could give out to 10 people (and a feature already standard foranyPS+ subscriber on the PS3).

Note that thing is also a thing that they could easily still do (Sony does it right now!) without having to have their atrocious DRM.
Everything about XB1 in your post is wrong. An obvious side effect of "everything-XB1-is-evil" vision. Here is a start on your long road to recovery:There was no time limit on XB1 game sharing.