The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
frodoonly720psxulq.gif
lol

Szlia

As a reminder: Journey is one of the best game ever made and Unfinished Swan is a very neat and clever game that explores a handful of original gameplay ideas without any of them overstaying their welcome. The two games are short so the Quality/Minute ratio is through the roof (Quality/Price is also very good, but some might frown at the Price/Minute - the gamers equivalent of the people who only look at Quantity/Price in a restaurant). Journey (like Flower) is highly replayable just for its beauty and the pure joy of running and jumping and flying with the character.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I'd replay Journey just to see if they managed to make it even more beautiful, but not exactly something that I found as a must have. By that I mean, the ability to get it again for free. For people who have never played it before, having it available on the PS4 is a must and one of the first games I would port as well considering it is one of the best small games made this generation. So smart move to port that game.

However, they still need to get their head out of their ass and allow PS1 emulation. It can not be that hard to do, and I am certain that even the Final Fantasy classics would sell enough on the PS4 to earn in the cost (if there is any) to code a program that would let you emulate PS1 games on the PS4.

Not being able to emulate PS1 games makes no sense to me. They would earn money. For once I don't see suits/corporate in the background saying "we can see gamers want this, but it will not earn us money, so f them". PS1 classics would still sell. So.... wtf

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've actually only played and beat AC1 and AC2, I only played AC3 for about 45 minutes... so I'm not actually burnt out on the series and I'm kind of looking forward to the pirate theme quite a bit, I kind of got bored with AC3 as soon as I got off the ship and realized that American cities suck compared to Italy for climbing...

Knack looks good too, but I'll probably just wait till I can get it cheap or for free on the PSN (since it seems like the type of title that will sit there for months, somewhat like Little Big Planet.

Journey I think would be worth another playthrough, I actually never finished my journey, I stopped playing when the person I was travelling with disappeared, it seemed much less interesting solo.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I'm not sure why anyone wants PS1 emulation. Smart phones have PSX emulators at this point, even with a built-in controller ghosted over the screen so you can use the touchscreen.

Granted I have an HTPC, but it is built for low power use, not gaming, and even it can run everything a PSX emulator needs with all the bells and whistles turned on.

Kind of related to the discussion: Has anyone else reached a point where you just don't care about new games? I could consume my gaming time with nothing but stuff I haven't played that is really good and it'd take me years to catch up to the PS3/360 generation of games, much less the current gen. I have every console game up through PSX/N64/Dreamcast sitting on my NAS. I could build an emulator box for about the same price as a PS4 will cost that I'd never have to upgrade that could easily play the last 2+ decades of every game ever released. Invest the difference in custom hardware if I really want a roller ball for missile commander or any of the other arcade controls, maybe a couple of actual controllers for each system modified to work with USB or wirelessly. I kind of like the idea of just staying a couple generations behind in console games and playing everything on emulators.

Szlia

For archiving purposes I would enjoy PS1 emulation on PS4 only if it is better than PS1 emulation on the PS3. I am not sure why, but the connections of the polygons and of the lines are messed up on PS3, making the game look messier on PS3 than they were on PS1. And its more than just using LCD screens now instead of CRT then.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Sounds like stretching from a 4:3 to a 16:9 aspect ratio (this was also an issue with several official PS1 > PSP ports). Nice thing about the community emulators is you can just play in 4:3 if you want to or you can use the much superior stretching/scaling that emulators have.

Szlia

It's not a ratio problem (you can play in 4:3 with the PS1 emulator on PS3) it's really an emulation problem with the graphic engine. I noticed it first playing Front Mission 3 where some screens use rotating vector graphic patterns and the line would not connect properly on PS3. As it surprised me, I tried it on my PS2 (which contains the PS1 hardware I believe) and sure enough it was perfectly smooth on it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I'm not sure why anyone wants PS1 emulation. Smart phones have PSX emulators at this point, even with a built-in controller ghosted over the screen so you can use the touchscreen.

Granted I have an HTPC, but it is built for low power use, not gaming, and even it can run everything a PSX emulator needs with all the bells and whistles turned on.
I want PS1 emulation because I have several PSN 1 classic games (most of the FF games). I tend to play them once in a while, and as you say, phones can run them these days, so why not take the 10 minutes to make the PS4 able to do it too? As I said, having the option there would earn them money. Makes no sense that it isn't there. PS4 could probably software emulate PS2 games too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not sure why anyone would want PS1 emulation when that system library contains some of the best games ever made, and I really don't want 4 systems hooked up to play different generations of PS games. I can understand PS3 emulation being nigh impossible, but PS2 and PS1 have to be a no-brainer at this point.

Column_sl

shitlord
Yeah, thats an old article. I posted it back when that was released.

The PS4 Zombies still claim to this day that it won't work well lol

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Sounds like bullshit to me. I'm not saying that MS will for sure make a new console (The gaming scene in 7 years may be very different) but what credibility does this guy have that he can predict what MS does 4 years from now?
They were the same investors that forced Ballmer out. When I read about it the article was more for general business than gaming, so unlikely it was just to stir up rumors.

If Sony concedes some profits this generation they'll have next gen all to themselves unless someone like Google or Apple steps up

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They were the same investors that forced Ballmer out. When I read about it the article was more for general business than gaming, so unlikely it was just to stir up rumors.

If Sony concedes some profits this generation they'll have next gen all to themselves unless someone like Google or Apple steps up
or valve, heh.

Column_sl

shitlord
Someone would have to buy Valve for that to happen imho. Right now Steam is still an OS, and a controller. The set top boxes cost more then the computers you can make.

Biggest thing with consoles is they lose money immediately when they make them. How many companies are going to invest in that?

That's why Ill never understand people rooting for MS to fail. Wait to Sony is the only console on the market, and can make any demands they want.