The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
In my gaming group (6 of us) we are all buying 2-3 games at launch and all getting PS+ all have PS4's pre-ordered.

I will probably buy a Vita in the next 3-6 months as well.

Column_sl

shitlord
Speaking of the 2-3 games.

I ordered my games on Amazon, but I'm still going to target for the 2 games get one game free deal.
If for some reason I can get the deal from Target, it is soooo easy to send stuff back to Amazon.

Don't even have to open the box, just paste the new shipping label on top, and send it back.

For anyone that is looking to get a good deal on launch, that seems like your best bet.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I want PS1 emulation because I have several PSN 1 classic games (most of the FF games). I tend to play them once in a while, and as you say, phones can run them these days, so why not take the 10 minutes to make the PS4 able to do it too? As I said, having the option there would earn them money. Makes no sense that it isn't there. PS4 could probably software emulate PS2 games too.
My older fat PS3 has disk based PS1 & 2 support. I played FF9 all the way through a few months back. Good times.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
My older fat PS3 has disk based PS1 & 2 support. I played FF9 all the way through a few months back. Good times.
Mine has the same. So to go from a console capable of playing three different generations of games (where the best RPGs are still in the PS1/PS2 era), to a supposed next gen console only capable of playing the most recent games is not exactly "ohh look, the next gen is so awesome!"

EDIT: They should just add another console on the market too. $100 more, hardware backwards compatibility. Still an infinite better value in terms of gaming than the $100 kinect. Not everyone would be interested, but I would easily pay $100 more for the console just to let it play every generation of PS games. If my PS3 broke I'd have hundreds of hundreds of dollars worth of older gen PS games that would be useless. Still have over 50+ PS1/Ps2 games.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Have any of you gone to one of these PS4 demo kiosk things? There's one like 20 mins from my place. Should I bother?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Someone in this thread went and played Knack, maybe last page?

Haven't played it yet, but I am getting excited. It reminds me of when my mother bought me PSX with FF7 for my birthday on the day FF7 came out. For like 4 months I was sitting there getting giddy reading magazines about the game. Played that game like 14 hours straight before I passed out. Literally came home and played from 5PM until 7AM in the morning nonstop.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Speaking of the 2-3 games.

I ordered my games on Amazon, but I'm still going to target for the 2 games get one game free deal.
If for some reason I can get the deal from Target, it is soooo easy to send stuff back to Amazon.

Don't even have to open the box, just paste the new shipping label on top, and send it back.

For anyone that is looking to get a good deal on launch, that seems like your best bet.
I bought a vita game on clearance a few weeks back, and it printed me off a coupon that says 30% off when you purchase two video games. Will be pretty baller if it stacks.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Someone in this thread went and played Knack, maybe last page?

Haven't played it yet, but I am getting excited. It reminds me of when my mother bought me PSX with FF7 for my birthday on the day FF7 came out. For like 4 months I was sitting there getting giddy reading magazines about the game. Played that game like 14 hours straight before I passed out. Literally came home and played from 5PM until 7AM in the morning nonstop.
Heh similar story for me. Remember the commercials? They never showed gameplay, only cinematics... When Cloud jumped off that train I was like... Wtf is this? Lol

Even with that disappointment, still one of the best gaming experiences of my life.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Been thinking long and hard - and being that the supply looks good, strong feeling I'm going to cancel my PS4 order tomorrow. Still plan to get one, but nothing besides AC4 really excites me that much - and with the first 3 months only having two maybes and getting better graphics for AC4, I think I'll just wait and grab one down the road close to when something that's got me excited launches versus racing up to get a Day One unit.

Hopefully ya'll will enjoy yours - still thinking it over since I might be influenced by some pain meds (had killer stomach pain this morning, wife called the ambulance - fun way to start out the birthday for sure...) and want to make sure that I'm thinking clearly when I do cancel - but can't reasonably think $400 on literally one PS3 game with suped up graphics and two games in the next 3 months I might not like is a really intelligent way to spend my money.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
This may be a stupid question, but I'm charging my PS4 controller and I think my micro-USB charger seems to find somewhat loosely. Is the controller supposed to light up as it charges or once it finishes charging? Because it doesn't do either...

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Heh similar story for me. Remember the commercials? They never showed gameplay, only cinematics... When Cloud jumped off that train I was like... Wtf is this? Lol

Even with that disappointment, still one of the best gaming experiences of my life.
I remember when I first got FF7, I was playing it up in my bedroom. I started the game and was so blown away by the amazing graphics in the opening movie that I shut my PS1 off and ran downstairs to get my mom so she could watch how realistic it was.
I mean, compared to now, it looks like dog shit, but it was amazing back then.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Biggest thing with consoles is they lose money immediately when they make them. How many companies are going to invest in that?
This isn't strictly true. The first console Nintendo sold at a loss was the GC and that only lasted a few months before cost of components and increase in efficiency of production started making it break even. The Wii, being almost identical to the GC hardware (seriously, emulators for the Wii were out in a couple of months based on a GC emulator), was never sold at a loss. The Wii U is being sold at a minor loss, a game or an accessory purchase makes it break even. The PS2 was sold at a profit for its entire lifespan and the PS3 selling at a loss had a lot of factors, wanting Blu-Ray to win the format war, etc.

In fact the whole selling consoles at a loss thing has a very specific origin. May 1994, at E3. Two consoles that are already out in Japan, the PSX and the Sega Saturn, both selling for $500 (which sounds like a lot, but with the exchange rate at the time minimum wage in Japan was $3000 a month, so less than a week's for a minimum wage worker), are releasing in North America. Sega announces a pricepoint of.... $399 and it is releasing today! Surprise Sony! We beat you to market.

Sony's whole presentation, no mention of price. They have this huge press conference. At the very end the president of Sony, walks up, says "Two hundred and ninety-nine dollars" and turns and walks out. Says literally nothing else. This causes Atari to claim that Sony is "dumping" by selling consoles below cost which, believe it or not, was unheard of. Atari actually said they'd try and stop the PSX getting released before they let someone sell a console below cost.

Fast forward four months and the PSX comes out. RAM has gone from $50/megabyte to $20/megabyte, Sega dropped the Saturn to $299 to compete at the same price point. The PSX is selling at minor profit and the Saturn is the first console to be sold at a loss. They even asked retailers to take a small loss per console sold, "A modest $15 per console." Most retailers said no. Sega also tried to achieve market saturation by selling the Dreamcast at a loss and it essentially bankrupted Sega to do it. It cost them $800 million before they cancelled the Dreamcast.

Next console to sell at a loss was the Xbox and they were copying the Sega model. Buy off the shelf parts, have someone else build it, and lose money to push units and increase the install base, but they had a lot more money to push at the idea. The 360 was also sold at a loss, though for a shorter period, except it doesn't factor in RROD which must have seriously impacted overall profits. MS still hasn't released exact failure rates due to RROD so we'll probably never know, but it must have cost a fortune.

I'll be curious to see if the PS4 is selling at a loss or not and for how long.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The last I heard was that it was being sold for a small loss, mainly because of the weakening of the yen.

The Master

Bronze Squire
The last I heard was that it was being sold for a small loss, mainly because of the weakening of the yen.
Just went and looked into it. $60 loss per console sold at release but they are expecting most initial purchases to break even overall at two games, an accessory, and a PS+ sub. Given past trends unless there is a price drop I'd expect them to start turning a profit on the hardware in a 7-12 month window.