The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Khalid, Sony emulating the PS3 games on PS4 would be really easy to do with a little software. It would just be a minimal initial development fee.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Quit trying to ignore the cost and we won't have to keep bringing it up. Jesus.
Just how much do you think was invested with Galkai? $380 million.

Cost isn't a fucking issue. It's a business model play.

Jesus Christ.

Malkav

French Madman
Yet, aside from possibly the Wii U, Nintendo consoles have had backwards compatibility with GameCube and Wii, and now Wii U and the Wii channel. Completely different systems between the generation, and they were (Wii and Gamecube were) selling for profits off the get go.
Aaaaaaand you just showed how retarded you are.

Gamecube/Wii/Wii U all have the exact same basic architecture, with a fucking a IBM PowerPC CPU and an ATI GPU. They just bumb the speed each generation. They don't fucking have to emulate anything, every old game is running natively on the new hardware.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You do realize that streaming is different from emulating, right?
You do realize that creating an emulator would have been in no way, shape, or form near the amount they bought Galkai for correct? And why do that when the small amount of time it would have taken to segment off an emulator team for $10 million sees no return? And that's the point I am trying to make. Backwards compatibility is now a business issue. They heavily invested in this technology to make it a business. It has been a business for Nintendo, and will continue to be one. And while Galkai serves other purposes, the amount of money it will make just off PS3 back streaming alone and charging for that access will recoup that buyout within 2 years.

The PlayStation 4 is rumored to provide backwards compatibility through use of the online streaming service Gaikai for games fromall previous PlayStation consoles.
Meaning, it's a new business.

Sean_sl

shitlord
A PS3 emulator would have absolutely no chance of running on the PS4's hardware, Ut. I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand that.

Now if the PS5 is another X86 machine and doesn't natively run PS4 games (like the GC -> Wii -> WiiU) then it will be absolute bullshit.

But you're just 100% wrong here man, give it up.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Utnayan wants to prove that emulating PS3 on PS4 hardware would be easy.

To do this he..
1) Points out that they will stream PS3 to PS4
2) Says Nintendo emulates, when actually its all on the same hardware
3) Links to a PC emulator
4) Says cost should be completely irrelevant

Utnayan being Utnayan

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Utnayan wants to prove that emulating PS3 on PS4 hardware would be easy.

To do this he..
1) Points out that they will stream PS3 to PS4
2) Says Nintendo emulates, when actually its all on the same hardware
3) Links to a PC emulator
4) Says cost should be completely irrelevant

Utnayan being Utnayan
I am not sure how I can be more clear on this.

I am saying cost isn't an issuewhen they spend $380 million dollars acquiring a company to stream all previous versions of any playstation console game and make a business model out of it.

And I am also saying that it would have been far cheaper to emulate over buying a service, but then they wouldn't have a new revenue stream. It's a business decision. Do you understand this? Those saying that cost was the issue it doesn't have backward compatibility when they bought a company to give this ability in the consumer driven market are fucking nuts. They made a business model out of it. Players will get double dinged for games they already owned or played. It's going to be a subscription service. They make no money if they provide emulation on the system. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

But Jesus to say that Sony isn't putting in backwards compatibility because of the cost associated with an emulator (With no return because people will just play existing games or buy used games so they do not even see the license fee) is fucking riduculous when in plain fucking daylight they spend $380 million acquiring a company that will support a business model to SELL YOU all games ever made for every playstation system since initial launch of PSone.

regret_sl

shitlord
Sony is in business to make money, not give you backwards compatibility at a loss. They've done the whole "sell people hardware at a huge loss" thing and it crushed them. If you want to play PS3 games then buy a PS3 from some kid on craigslist for a hundred bucks. There are tons of them out there.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sony is in business to make money, not give you backwards compatibility at a loss. They've done the whole "sell people hardware at a huge loss" thing and it crushed them. If you want to play PS3 games then buy a PS3 from some kid on craigslist for a hundred bucks. There are tons of them out there.
I totally agree! They are in it to make money, and they are capitalizing on the nostalgia market with Galkai. Christ that's all I have been trying to say. I am just arguing against people trying to defend it as a cost issue when they invested $380 million to design a business model out of it.

Also, how the hell does a company spend $100 million on R&D for a controller which didn't need tweaking in the first place, and then on top of that, varied very little from original design. (Xbox One)

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's hilarious how Ut keeps saying that Sony should just do a PS3 emulator when everyone here knows that there's no chance in hell that the PS4's hardware could run it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
It's hilarious how Ut keeps saying that Sony should just do a PS3 emulator when everyone here knows that there's no chance in hell that the PS4's hardware could run it.
Emotion was installed in PS3's to easily bypass any compatibility issues with PS2 games. It's been 7-8 years since the PS3 launched. Just how "difficult" do you think this would be in this day and age when they did it in 2005? Just curious. Now I want you to think that they spent $380 million to provide it all as a service which you pay for. Fairly easy why they didn't allocate $10 million for an emulation package. I'll admit that it wouldn't be a walk in the park, but it certainly is easily doable, to emulate PS3 backwards compatibility if you at least admit that Sony's thought is why allocate resources to backwards compatibility when we will see no return out of it, if they buy used games we still don't see a license fee coming back; when we can buy a company and offer every PS1, 2, and 3 game and have a new revenue source?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I totally agree! They are in it to make money, and they are capitalizing on the nostalgia market with Galkai. Christ that's all I have been trying to say. I am just arguing against people trying to defend it as a cost issue when they invested $380 million to design a business model out of it.

Also, how the hell does a company spend $100 million on R&D for a controller which didn't need tweaking in the first place, and then on top of that, varied very little from original design. (Xbox One)
"Not give you backwards compatibility at a loss" = "a cost issue" you stupid fuck.

Needless

Toe Sucker
"sonnie pres teh butan 2 make emulate 4 mai ps3 games.
ez as dat, fukn noobz"

Seriously though, emulating requires more and more resources with how more complex consoles get.. and PS3 is probablythe mostcomplex console made heh

Sean_sl

shitlord
Dude, none of this shit is "easy".

There's also absolutely no guarantee that adding in PS3 hardware to the PS4 would even work due to how ridiculously complex that shit is. Not to mention that it would cause them to take a huge loss on hardware sales or majorly jack up the price, which would just not be worth it. The PS3 dropped PS2 hardware BC for good reason.

Plus people really don't care as much about BC as you seem to think they do. We've done polls here before and most people did not give a fuck. It's "nice to have", but not important or a major factor in people's decision to purchase a console.