The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm pretty sure this is a good deal. What you guys think? The newer games it comes with I could sell off to offset the price.

500GB PS3 + EXTRAS

If you live in Phoenix don't be stealing my goodies!! Haha
That looks pretty good. Selling the games would probably get you down to $200 at least and the extra controller is expensive, so it's a solid deal.

Edit: After checking Amazon marketplace used prices, selling those games (if you go through something like Amazon (not direct sale to Amazon but putting them up for sale) and not shitty Gamestop) could almost certainly get you over $100. Not bad at all. I'd definitely do this deal.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bandwidth isn't the issue, even I have far more than enough to do it. The problem is 100% latency and the backbone of the internet. It doesn't matter if you have 10 megs or 100megs if the lines between you and the datacenters aren't up to the task.
Well, to be fair, there is some correlation between bandwidth and latency, lower latency will increase the bandwidth of your connection.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well, to be fair, there is some correlation between bandwidth and latency, lower latency will increase the bandwidth of your connection.
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Sean's point is very true. Latency is what kills streaming video games. The action to photons time is huge for a game being rendered offsite.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wii U projections downgraded by Nintendo from 9m to 2.8m for the fiscal year ending in March, also downgraded their financials from a nearly $1b profit to a $350m loss.

In a press conference Iwata says they're thinking about a new business structure.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata Reassess After Wii U Flops | TIME.com

"Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business," Iwata said. "It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Sean's point is very true. Latency is what kills streaming video games. The action to photons time is huge for a game being rendered offsite.
I think the internet basically needs a fucking overhaul before streaming ever seriously because viable for gaming, especially for stuff like FPS and Action games. Sure, I could play a turn based RPG and the like on it, but that would be the absolute only thing I would. And if you're seriously into Fighting Games where every single frame and frame counting matters? Forget it, our current internet will never handle that shit *ever*. You'd have to rip the entire thing apart and build a network that could operate with no latency.

And on that note, here's some more info on the PlayStation Now stuff:Sony creates custom PS3 hardware for PlayStation Now Eurogamer.net

Snipped from the link (article is huge):
Sony has developed brand new PS3 hardware to power its PlayStation Now streaming service, revealed earlier this month at CES in Las Vegas. Sources who have been briefed on the project suggest that the new PlayStation 3 consists of eight custom console units built into a single rack server. It's the new PlayStation hardware that everyone will have access to, but few will actually see.

Initially, Digital Foundry has learned that Sony experimented by placing standard retail units into datacentres, but plans to use this for the actual PlayStation Now service were shelved for a number of reasons. For starters there's the sheer space requirement, along with power efficiency issues, as even the most recent PS3 hardware can still draw up to 80W from the mains. Sony's engineers were able to mitigate both issues by shrinking the equivalent of eight PS3s onto a single motherboard, housed in a slimline server cabinet.

The second reason for the all-new PlayStation 3 server design is that it allows Sony to make hardware changes to the PS3 configuration that claw back a few vital milliseconds here and there to lower end-to-end latency.
Gb493Or.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think the internet basically needs a fucking overhaul before streaming ever seriously because viable for gaming, especially for stuff like FPS and Action games. Sure, I could play a turn based RPG and the like on it, but that would be the absolute only thing I would. And if you're seriously into Fighting Games where every single frame and frame counting matters? Forget it, our current internet will never handle that shit *ever*. You'd have to rip the entire thing apart and build a network that could operate with no latency.

And on that note, here's some more info on the PlayStation Now stuff:Sony creates custom PS3 hardware for PlayStation Now Eurogamer.net

Snipped from the link (article is huge):

Gb493Or.jpg
If only google could work faster at converting the US to fiber

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wii U projections downgraded by Nintendo from 9m to 2.8m for the fiscal year ending in March, also downgraded their financials from a nearly $1b profit to a $350m loss.

In a press conference Iwata says they're thinking about a new business structure.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata Reassess After Wii U Flops | TIME.com

"Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business," Iwata said. "It's not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone.
WiiU is being ignored and laughed at by everyone. It isn't even considered as part of the next generation. That's not a good sign.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I thought the WiiU was just picking up traction!
It's starting to. December was the WiiU's best month yet. The problem is that Nintendo had ABSURD expectations for it, far worse than any possible wild predictions we've made about anyone's hardware here, and it totally tanked for most of the year setting like record low sales numbers.

On the other hand, the Nintendo 3DS was by far the strongest gaming platform of the entire year and outsold everyone in December and the year overall. That thing is a fuckingbeast. Expect them to double down on that shit.

Sean_sl

shitlord
WiiU is being ignored and laughed at by everyone. It isn't even considered as part of the next generation. That's not a good sign.
That's not true. Gaming sites and the like have started to warm up to the system now that the software library is getting a chance to mature. The new Mario game that launched is being greatly adored and is actually quite fantastic.

If you build good games, they will come.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Damnit Nintendo, just transition over to being a software company for consoles, and the only hardware you sell is handheld/portables.

I wonder how well a Gameboy-branded cell phone/tablet would do?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Damnit Nintendo, just transition over to being a software company for consoles, and the only hardware you sell is handheld/portables.

I wonder how well a Gameboy-branded cell phone/tablet would do?
They'll never change to a software only company. They love their proprietary shit on their consoles too much. To the point where it hurts sales.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's not true. Gaming sites and the like have started to warm up to the system now that the software library is getting a chance to mature. The new Mario game that launched is being greatly adored and is actually quite fantastic.

If you build good games, they will come.
I'll grant you that the new Mario is getting amazing reviews and the 3DS dominates the handheld market completely but the WiiU? It's just a laughing stock. I'm a long time Nintendo fan and I'm saying the WiiU is not even in the race to be a contender this generation. It's not even in the same playing field. Possibly still trying to figure out which country the race is in.

Sean_sl

shitlord
They'll never change to a software only company. They love their proprietary shit on their consoles too much. To the point where it hurts sales.
I hope they stay in hardware forever. I hope there's dedicated gaming hardware like this shit forever.

Why?

Because just having everything running on smartphones is the most god awful boring future I could imagine even if they could be functionally the same with docking to TVs. Seriously, that is just a god damned dull future to think that everything is going to be on some tiny little device.

The history of home consoles and portable consoles is a really awesome and fun thing that we've all lived through and pretty soon *no one* is going to live through that ever again.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I know Nintendo has a shitload of money stashed away, but I can't imagine they would be happy taking $350 million in losses for too many years in a row.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Personally I'd be happy if Nintendo started making their in house games for both PS4 and MS systems then started interfacing the 3DS with their systems if at all possible. Not to permanently move them out of the console market but to give them a break from it for awhile. Maybe do some serious in house research and come out with something amazing in 5-10 years.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I hope they stay in hardware forever. I hope there's dedicated gaming hardware like this shit forever.

Why?

Because just having everything running on smartphones is the most god awful boring future I could imagine even if they could be functionally the same with docking to TVs. Seriously, that is just a god damned dull future to think that everything is going to be on some tiny little device.

The history of home consoles and portable consoles is a really awesome and fun thing that we've all lived through and pretty soon *no one* is going to live through that ever again.
I have to disagree there. I feel that way about MS even though I despise everything about their consoles and will never even consider buying one. MS is still good for the industry, but Nintendo is a fucking blight. All they do is come up with gimmicky bullshit, and the worst case scenario is that it actually sells well because then you end up with Sony and MS feeling like they need to copy it with faggotry of their own.

I wouldn't mind seeing portables die out to smartphones as long as every game supports HDMI output and Bluetooth gamepads. The worst thing about smartphone games is the touchscreen being a worthless piece of shit for nearly every genre except the casual games that my mother plays.

I'm still not keen on all consoles going that way though, because it would mean a transition to all digital downloads and I don't trust any of the console companies to operate a digital store with reasonable pricing. They sure as fuck don't do it now, and it would only get worse if there were no physical media as competition.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I thought the WiiU was just picking up traction!
As Sean said, last month was actually Wii U's best month, though it appears to be below every December the Gamecube had. (Note that December was great for the Wii U in Japan as well; it has then collapsed in January.)

At this point, the Wii U appears to do Dreamcast numbers most months, except for when one of the big Nintendo tentpoles (New Mario, Mario World, Kart, Smash, Zelda) launches, when it then does Gamecube numbers for a couple months. Neither part of that comparison does the Wii U any favors.

On the other hand, the Nintendo 3DS... is a fuckingbeast.
No, it's not. It's essentially flat in the US vs. last year, despite a new model, hitting as low as $99 with that model, and the motherfucking pokemans. Not to mention titles like Zelda.
In fact, the other part of Nintendo's news today that isn't as widely reported was that they cut their 3DS estimate from 18 Million to 13.5 Million. It's questionable if the system even sells GBA numbers over its lifetime.

Sure, people wondered if any dedicated handheld could survive in the mobile era. Turns out the answer is Yes -Onesystem can, with the majority of Nintendo's developer power behind it (and every Japanese studio that's dropped out of the console space), though total sales will shrink considerably.

spronk

FPS noob
it is inevitable that gaming will all move to mobile phone platforms, and that will transition to something even smaller in the future. Half the planet already owns a mobile phone, by the end of this decade that number will be closer to 90% with everyone having a smart phone.

No gaming hardware company can compete with the R&D going into making the mobile platform faster and better every year, and the phone companies need games to justify consumers wanting a faster and better model every year - its not like facebook or gmail require faster CPU/GPU/memory. Consoles have given up the hardware race anyways, they are just 2 year old PCs and falling behind every year. While phones are still far behind computationally than your average desktop PC, how many more years until thats no longer true? 5? 10?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
100+ or more. A mobile phone can't dissipate the heat and doesn't have the real estate to compare to anything close to what a desktop/console has.