The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Sean_sl

shitlord
No, it's not. It's essentially flat in the US vs. last year, despite a new model, hitting as low as $99 with that model, and the motherfucking pokemans. Not to mention titles like Zelda.
In fact, the other part of Nintendo's news today that isn't as widely reported was that they cut their 3DS estimate from 18 Million to 13.5 Million. It's questionable if the system even sells GBA numbers over its lifetime.

Sure, people wondered if any dedicated handheld could survive in the mobile era. Turns out the answer is Yes -Onesystem can, with the majority of Nintendo's developer power behind it (and every Japanese studio that's dropped out of the console space), though total sales will shrink considerably.
Well, those numbers may not be "great" to to some, but I think they're great for what the 3DS is. They are far, far more than enough to justify its existence and it is a great little system with amazing software. Yeah, Nintendo probably isn't going to hit DS levels again due to the advent of Smartphones, but they can still make a handheld system that thrives on its own with games that people want to play.

And Nintendo wants to make Nintendo products. Could they make more by licensing out their software to other mobile platforms? Sure, they could. But I don't think that that's the kind of company they want to become. They have their own identity and I am all for them keeping that identity. Maybe the company will shrink a little, but as long as they can still stay healthy then it's a good thing for them to remain who they are.

Sean_sl

shitlord
100+ or more. A mobile phone can't dissipate the heat and doesn't have the real estate to compare to anything close to what a desktop/console has.
Not only the heat issue, you have the issue of Storage. With 40-50gb games becoming the norm this generation you aren't going to see any of them hit mobile.

I honestly think people are overestimating Smartphones a bit. Sure, they're the future - at some point. We'll all have some tiny device that does everything for us, but that's not going to come until there's aradicalchange in the infrastructure of the internet. It's not going to be about the power of those machines at all. It's going to be about how we send and receive data.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not only the heat issue, you have the issue of Storage. With 40-50gb games becoming the norm this generation you aren't going to see any of them hit mobile.

I honestly think people are overestimating Smartphones a bit. Sure, they're the future - at some point. We'll all have some tiny device that does everything for us, but that's not going to come until there's aradicalchange in the infrastructure of the internet. It's not going to be about the power of those machines at all. It's going to be about how we send and receive data.
Storage is about to explode, especially with M.2 SATA and some other future techs. I feel like storage will be less of an issue in 5-10 years than any other concern.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
We've covered this before.

Sure, smartphone chip technology continues to evolve, but heat dissipation, battery life, and file distribution (some PS4 games are 40 Gigs!) are much bigger issues than people consider. Not to mention control scheme problems and network reliability.

The games market will continue tosplitbetween consoles/PCs and mobile platforms, but mobile taking over all the market is still decades away.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Speaking of mobiles, look at this shit:Oh No, Square Enix, What Have You Done To Final Fantasy VI?

Fuck, that. FUCK THAT SO FUCKING MUCH.

An objective bar. Sprites raped. And worst of all, this horrible offense:

ku-xlarge.jpg

Esper changed to espier.

Like, holy fucking shit. That makes me so blinded with fucking rage that I want to pull my hair out.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think the internet basically needs a fucking overhaul before streaming ever seriously because viable for gaming, especially for stuff like FPS and Action games. Sure, I could play a turn based RPG and the like on it, but that would be the absolute only thing I would. And if you're seriously into Fighting Games where every single frame and frame counting matters? Forget it, our current internet will never handle that shit *ever*. You'd have to rip the entire thing apart and build a network that could operate with no latency.

And on that note, here's some more info on the PlayStation Now stuff:Sony creates custom PS3 hardware for PlayStation Now Eurogamer.net

Snipped from the link (article is huge):

Gb493Or.jpg
Honestly, we'll have to see once it's actually running how well it does I think - I think bad connections like yours are screwed, great ones however it's plausible it might be decent to good. OnLive the times I tried it at folks places ran stuff amazingly well with only small microlags (On DSL if memory serves!) - if they're doing it similarly with better polish on it and keeping the resolution locked to a 720p max it sounds reasonably possible to me - 4k gaming not a dream and 1080p I'd be dubious of though.

Sean_sl

shitlord
My connection isn't bad. I tend to have low ping and have fairly good hops. I just have a low upload cap which makes Streaming videoto other peopleshitty for me. I have more than enough download bandwidth and upload bandwidth to play on a streaming game.

The problem is that even with a fast connection that routes well you're going to getinput lag. Now, there is input lag in everything. Your console to your TV, the controller to your TV, 60 Vs 30 FPS also has an effect on input lag, your connect to a multiplayer server, etc. Streaming adds an extra layer to it on top of all of that and unless you are in a super controlled environment then it's going to be there and make it quite noticeable in a lot of games.

Vaclav

OnLive with its limited library handled it quite well - I was doomcrying it before I tried it and it was only SLIGHTLY sluggish in controls (like the original wireless controllers were for home consoles - not terrible just slightly off)

Vorph

Speaking of mobiles, look at this shit:Oh No, Square Enix, What Have You Done To Final Fantasy VI?

ku-xlarge.jpg

Esper changed to espier.

Like, holy fucking shit. That makes me so blinded with fucking rage that I want to pull my hair out.
RPGOne translation on SNES 4 life.

The sad part is that I expected much worse when I clicked on that article. It's bad and I'd never pay S-E's absurd $16 price for it, but it is not even remotely close to being as terrible as FF V looks on Android.

Sean_sl

shitlord
RPGOne translation on SNES 4 life.

The sad part is that I expected much worse when I clicked on that article. It's bad and I'd never pay S-E's absurd $16 price for it, but it is not even remotely close to being as terrible as FF V looks on Android.
How can anything possibly worse than changing Esper to Espier?

I think that shit induced tears of rage. I did not know that was possible.

Fucking mobile games, seriously.

Vorph

Yeah, I'm with you on the "espier" thing but it was a typo rather than an intentional change. In other places they do spell it correctly. Pretty inexcusable to have a typo like that so early though. I was talking more about the overall presentation. It looks considerably less like some abomination made in RPGMaker or Flash than FFV for Android does.

Also, FFV is my third favorite FF after XII IZJS and XIII-2, and one I really would have liked to buy for my phone since even the best (GBA) version up to now has some significant issues/bugs, so it bothers me more I guess.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

ku-xlarge.jpg

Esper changed to espier.

I can almost understand their attempts at graphic upgrades. The objective bar is stupid but hopefully it can be turned off. However, I can't possibly fathom that spelling change. I hope that's just some strange mistake. It seems so pointless.

Edit: I see now that it is a typo.

Juvarisx

Florida
It wasn't a change it was a typo. There's more pic's that show the correct spelling like below. My biggest problem with it is they seem to have removed the expressions from the sprites.

RfZ8WkO.png

Vorph

Yeah, having looked at theimgur albuminstead of just the Kotaku article it's really not *that* bad. I still hate the font they use, but that's really the only thing that screams RPGMaker/Flash to me. I also think the world map looks terrible with the 3D castle stuck on it; they had a decent idea there, but they should have scrapped it if that was the best they could do with it.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo isn't competing with Microsoft or Sony. They make their hardware based on the type of games they want to make and technologies they want to explore, not games that fit the hardware. It's very much like how Apple does things. It would be insane for Nintendo to get into a hardware arms race with the likes of Sony and MS - their consoles must be profitable because they are solely a gaming company. Sony and MS game divisions have had the leeway to fuck up because they are huge multi-national conglomerates. Let Nintendo do their own thing, it's better for the industry to not have 3 companies all with identical hardware and games.

In the future, you'll be glad that Nintendo has continued to make gaming consoles and not bloated multimedia centers like the XB1 and partly the PS4. Once they finally push everything Digital and to the "Cloud", offline gaming will be dead - Microsoft already tried to do it with tons of backlash. That means people with bad or no internet will be totally screwed.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
This pretty much looks like the definitive version of the game. Sean you need to chill the fuck out before you have an aneurism.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Type confirmed, rage subsided.

This is definitely not the definitive version of the game though. Those sprites are god fucking awful. If they wanted to do a sprite upgrade then they should have went with what the 2D PSP version of FF4 did to the sprites. It looks 10000000x better than that mobile garbage.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Nintendo isn't competing with Microsoft or Sony. They make their hardware based on the type of games they want to make and technologies they want to explore, not games that fit the hardware. It's very much like how Apple does things. It would be insane for Nintendo to get into a hardware arms race with the likes of Sony and MS - their consoles must be profitable because they are solely a gaming company. Sony and MS game divisions have had the leeway to fuck up because they are huge multi-national conglomerates. Let Nintendo do their own thing, it's better for the industry to not have 3 companies all with identical hardware and games.

In the future, you'll be glad that Nintendo has continued to make gaming consoles and not bloated multimedia centers like the XB1 and partly the PS4. Once they finally push everything Digital and to the "Cloud", offline gaming will be dead - Microsoft already tried to do it with tons of backlash. That means people with bad or no internet will be totally screwed.
100% this.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I'd be wiling to deal with the sprites for the QOL improvements like the interface and that story journal. With older games especially, I always put them down for a bit and come back only to forget what the fuck I was supposed to be doing.