The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

spronk

FPS noob
maybe that costco accidently put out some titanfall xbox's, grab em and make millions!!

8K7lHk0.jpg

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nah they were regular ones. I did make sure to look at that (even flipped it over for any "added content" type sticker in the wrong box).

Szlia

Time to reach 6 millions global:

PS4: 3.5 months

Wii: 4.5 months

XB1: ~ 8 or 9 months (not there yet)

X360: 12 months

PS3: 12 months

Wii U: ~16 months (not there yet)

Vaclav

Weird - I swore PS2 did way better out of the gate but that trajectory over the first two years is amazing. (Wii's too - but it's a different market)

I guess the market expanding and getting a larger portion of the population into gaming is a big thing or something. Seems odd NeoGAF didn't include XBoxs on there though, wonder where they'd be.

Szlia

The problem with the PS2 is that it launched in Japan something like 8 months before the US and Europe so a global sales comparison is a bit skewed. That said, I checked some articles wrote during that time and it seems supply was scarce after all three launches, so I guess the comparison could work just like it does with the delayed european launch of the PS3. I could not find hard numbers in the articles, but the general mood during 2000 was that the Japanese sales were sluggish because of a lack of games and that it got boosted in 2001 thanks to Gran Turismo 3 and FFX. The narrative in 2001 for Europe was a lot more positive with the console being reported as selling three times faster than what the PS1 did...

The official shipment numbers for the PS2 were 1.4 million for Japan alone in the first month (March 2000) and it had reached a total of 10.6 million shipped by the end of March the next year with the american and european launches happening in November. So it probably surged past 6 million global just after the occidental launch, so in about 9 months.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a hard time remembering freshman year of highschool, filled with the hazy smoke of weed, but I think I remember that PS2 was extremely hard to find for a very long time. I ended up buying one way after launch because I couldn't get my hands on one. All anecdotal anyways. IIRC I bought the GT4 bundle when it came out, for a time frame.

Vaclav

Ah, yea PS2 having that huge of a break would skew things that would explain it - I'm definitely curious to see if PS4 keeps up with its trajectory though, I can't imagine it will with the price point but we'll see. [Although before 24 month mark we'll be getting the second one for the wife so I'll be amongst the next 21 months as well as the early stage]

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Joining Killzone in the 'hey, what's a Titanfall, try our game' PR club, COD Ghosts will have a multiplayer demo on 360 and One this weekend.

Vaclav

Wonder if they can manage that because it's offloaded to the cloud? Could this actually be a plus for that "pointless" feature finally?

Although do note they have said the PS4 Twitch app isn't in final form anyhow though (since they plan to add archiving to it at some point - at least one patch is on deck) - so this very well could be a temporary one up. Still interesting for the Twitch people, not that I can imagine too many get too hung up on doing it.