The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Izo

Tranny Chaser
How is the PS4 with media support these days - is it still gimped as it was on launch day? I like my ps3 as a media box.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
How is the PS4 with media support these days - is it still gimped as it was on launch day? I like my ps3 as a media box.

It's much better now, I often use it when plex is being fickle. Oh ya you can get plex on ps4 as well!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Still no DTS, so it's as shit for movies now as it was day 1. Plex works well for streaming TV shows to PS4, and since it's free now it's a far better alternative to using UMS and the default PS4 media player.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Solid, thanks guys! How about local HDD media playback of scene formats, mkv and such?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty much the same as streaming. MKV is fine, TV shows with AC3 or AAC audio are fine, movies with DTS are a big NOPE. The asshats won't even support DTS passthrough.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
General Talk about all your Console Pleasures. 

12312.png

Free games in August with your Playstation Plus membership are:

Tricky Towers, PS4

Rebel Galaxy, PS4

Yakuza 5, PS3

Retro/Grade, PS3

Patapon 3, PS Vita

Ultratron, PS Vita, PS3, PS4

Ultaron is a lot of fun if you have not played it yet.

How is Rebel Galaxy ?

spronk

FPS noob
I bought rebel galaxy on PC and thought it kinda sucked to be honest, the space flight is more 2D than free form 3d (you fly like on rails... sort of) and the fetch/fedex quests get kinda boring.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I never played Rebel Galaxy but I have been wanting to buy it for awhile now. There is a Rebel Galaxy thread on the "other site" and mostly everyone seem to enjoy it except for a 1 or 2 that posted. The ones that didn't like it stated it was because its on a 2d plain. Its by some of the guys who made Diablo and Torchlight.

BTW, the title made me lol

spronk

FPS noob
xbox one S launches next week, lot of clearance sales on older models and I'd expect it to continue. Costco has a good deal in store, $330 for an xbox one elite - comes with xbox one controller ($130-150 by itself) and an xbox one with 1TB SSHD hybrid inside.
http://www.costco.com/Xbox-One-1TB-Elite-Bundle-.product.100237822.html

microsoft store as well is selling older model for $349 and comes with $50gc, a few free games, an extra controller I think, and shit.

Having an extra xbox one attached to extra TVs isn't that bad for those prices, make for great media players and as they integrate more with windows 10 I bet it will get even better in the future.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Anyone tried the new "play cast app" on iOS? It's supposed to mimic the vita ability to link to a ps4 but onto your phone or ipad.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Rumors are out that Sony is looking for an Oct 2016 launch date for Neo.....

Will they get the jump on project S?

Looking for confirmation, no luck so far.

Will you upgrade your current machine ?

spronk

FPS noob
PSVR launches Oct 13th, most likely it will be announced at gamescom - august 21st - with a release date of Oct 13th to sync up with PSVR.

Its definitely going to release long, long before scorpion from xbox, but its not really a comparison. Neo is maybe a 1.5 power upgrade from PS4, whereas Scorpio is a 6-8x power upgrade and isn't coming out till fall 2017.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I'm still thinking of staying with PS4. The exclusives are better. I didn't have a reason to go with the existing Xbone. The new one is compelling, but the library isn't there. Going into it with an empty library doesn't seem too compelling from where I'm standing.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Traded in my PS4 towards an Xbox One S.

Will be back for PS5.

It's nice to own both, but when you're barely playing either and one is used mostly by the kids as basically a $400 Roku, was time to make a change.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Phantom pain is $20 this week at bestbuy Canada,. worth it? Never really got into MGS outside of nes.

Funny my assistant is a retro game collector and sold the original nes version to a guy in a wife beater for $20 yesterday at my office.

Brand new, $20, 30 year old version....$20!

spronk

FPS noob
MGS 5 is fun as a stealth game for 10-20 hours. The story is bonkers, and after mission 30 (?) or so you are just repeating missions with minor tweaks - like have to redo mission 18, but this time stealth only, etc. The game is clearly unfinished, although it "ends" its not very satisfactory. I actually stopped playing at mission 45 and just traded the game in (game goes up to mission 50 or 51), just got too frustrating and repetitive for me.

I still really, really enjoyed missions 1 - 23, put in a good 30 hours, and love the environments, base building, character interactions, and character abilities. Never played a MGS before except maybe one as a kid (don't remember it really), I'd say for $20 you'd definitely get some fun out of it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Sharing games on PS4, does that still work without any complications?

I sign out of my account, friend signs in, activates as primary console. I sign in to his account, activate as primary console.

We should then both have access to each others libraries right?
From what I read on it the only only downside is that you have to be online with a PS+ subscription to play the games you've downloaded from their account once you log back to yours.
This way we'd only have to purchase one copy of a game.

Not an issue of trust since the friend would have access to my stored payment methods, was just wondering if doing that risked some sort of account ban or something.

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
I'm not sure about the needing PS+ part (I've always had it anyway), but yes that is all there is to it. You just activate the other person's console as your primary one.
No one is getting banned for it. A friend and I split the cost of games and he buys them digital on his account. My PS4 is his "Primary" console. You can even play online together.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Traded in my PS4 towards an Xbox One S.

Will be back for PS5.

It's nice to own both, but when you're barely playing either and one is used mostly by the kids as basically a $400 Roku, was time to make a change.

Added ya on Xbox.