The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Cor_sl

shitlord
Business insider isn't exactly a mock site, that is a fairly reputable site when it comes to economics.

R&D into the Xbox one might be included in it too though right? Which I guess would amount to a rather substantial number (to subtract from Live earnings, as the they lumped all the divisions into one). Same with eventual first party titles that they have paid for for the Xbox one that they won't get any software sale gains for at the moment. That being said, the loss number is so high that I can completely understand being skeptical towards it.

Anyone know any stats about Sony and the PS3/PS4? This last gen has been fairly equal right, in terms of both hardware and software sales on a global scale. Seems strange for reports of Sony finally going into the black while Microsoft is then hemorrhaging money. Sony doesn't have to do much to win this generation then, Microsoft will pull the plug themselves.
The PS3 has been a bit of a clusterfuck for Sony, losing them around $5 billion~, around 50% of their marketshare, and a lot of investor goodwill. Sure, it helped them win the blu-ray format war, but I don't think that's nearly enough to offset the losses, especially considering the growing popularity of Netflix, iTunes, and other digital distribution platforms.

Kaz Hirai, the current CEO of Sony, is under a lot of pressure too, especially considering he cut profit forecasts a few days back (Sony Slumps After Hirai Cuts Forecast as Tsuga Revamps Panasonic - Bloomberg). Sony, as a company, is not in good shape at the moment, and they really need the PS4 to perform. If it doesn't, I can see the PS4 being the last Playstation.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
The PS3 has been a bit of a clusterfuck for Sony, losing them around $5 billion~, around 50% of their marketshare, and a lot of investor goodwill. Sure, it helped them win the blu-ray format war, but I don't think that's nearly enough to offset the losses.

Kaz Hirai, the current CEO of Sony, is under a lot of pressure too, especially considering he cut profit forecasts a few days back (Sony Slumps After Hirai Cuts Forecast as Tsuga Revamps Panasonic - Bloomberg). Sony, as a company, is not in good shape at the moment, and they really need the PS4 to perform. If it doesn't, I can see the PS4 being the last Playstation.
Maybe after MS and Sony both drop out...Well finally see that nintendo/sony console collaboration that resulted in the PS1!

Therage

Vyemm Raider
So on another related note, how much does MS have to pay Sony for the rights to use Blu-ray Technology in Xbone?

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Shoot not the messenger. Microsoft employee here.

Xbox Ones are now available to play in all of our Microsoft Store locations, both full line and specialty stores. We set them out on Tuesday morning, and they've been generating great interest and play-time since.

If you live near one of our stores (find one athttp://microsoftstore.com), feel free to stop on by and check out the game play experience. Not all launch titles are available for demo gameplay, but more titles and features will be opened up over the next couple weeks prior to launch.

Regarding all the "how much are you losing on Xbox" discussion - I can only point you to our financial statements -Microsoft Investor Relations- and our statements are fairly easy to grasp. Our Consumer Hardware division is making money, not losing.

Enjoy the consoles, both of them - competition is good. I'm not a fanboy but I am a deeply invested in our success employee.

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Still not bad though, how much of a percentage does Sony get? Seems like they will be able to make the ps4 go black much faster with MS having to shell out per unit. Plus having to pay royalties for every game so even shitty selling xbone games will still end up making Sony some amount of money by default.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I just logged into the PS Store and I saw that the top link on the left side menu is now "Free Games". And there's a list of like a dozen or so games for the PS3 and the Vita that are available to download. A few are free to play style, but some are "real" games, like Tekken and shit.

Just figured I would let you guys know.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Deep thoughts from an xbro:

" Just like with specs the only commercial sony has started to run is gloating about their specs that's greek to 90 percent of kids and even adults . very very poor way to advertise your product you advertise with features and games. Microsoft flight out hit it out of the park with their commercials great great marketing team right there hats off to them"

So there you have it. Xbone wins.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Here's a new trailer from Driveclub.

And Dualshockers has been keeping up to date on the supposed PS4 overheating problem that Marcus Beer invented.
PS4t Exist | DualShockers

And Pete Dodd (the guy that broke the info about Uncharted 4 coming) did some of his own investigation work.
The PS4 is hot (literally?) |

It all boils down to this: A powerful videogame console creates a lot of heat. I wouldn't go shoving it in some snug little hole in your entertainment center, it likely needs room to breathe like, well, all videogame systems. But there doesn't seem to be a lick of truth to the idea that there are hardware failures.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
A guy over atRedFlagDeals.com Forums - Canada's Shopping Deals and Coupons Communityworks in a warehouse or something and found the PS4's already in stock. He took one home from the sound of his posts.

Sony Playstation 4 Pre-order Thread - $399 - 11/15/2013 - Page 470 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
PS4s are IN STOCK in warehouse.
p98UGeN.jpg

The PS4 retail box follows the PS Vita box trend of making it much thinner compared to the PS3's retail box lol...
You will see what I mean on November 15th 2013.

Also note on the side of the box, it denotes the color of the console on both left and right side (in this case it is "Jet Black") and all the accessories that comes in the box is denoted on the left side. Underside of the box, it denotes specs of console, legal and copyright information in English/Francais.

Packages VERY similar to the PS Vita with the same circle taped security sealed on the box.

I have a PS4 (retail version) under my TV right now, and as of now, Firmware v1.5 is not yet available to update... Many features lacking at the moment... Local single player campaign of Killzone SF and Knack.. No PSN, no multiplayer as of right now.

Sony Playstation 4 Pre-order Thread - $399 - 11/15/2013 - Page 470 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
No online access nor SEN/PSN access. Even Blu-Ray activation at the moment FAILS on the PS4...

Only you can do is use the crap buggy web browser and play single player campaigns WITHOUT TROPHY SYNC...

Hopefully Firmware v1.5 will improve the browser.

Sony Playstation 4 Pre-order Thread - $399 - 11/15/2013 - Page 471 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
These PS4s are not in store warehouse. It is in shipment warehouse. Security camera is not as vigilant as the store warehouses...

Some of these PS4s might be the ones some of you RFDers or Hoarders ordered. lol

I grabbed my PS4 earlier this morning and played some Killzone.

Sony Playstation 4 Pre-order Thread - $399 - 11/15/2013 - Page 471 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
Those Kijiji ads that states that have multiple PS4s in hand are SCAMS or people TESTING THE MARKET of demand... We only received the consoles yesterday evening around 5 PM.

Also, it is impossible for an individual or group to snatch 20+ units of PS4s without being noticed.

The one I grabbed was not a preorder as it was destined to be small private store's in store stocks (not FS/BB/EB/WM etc)

Also I have cancelled my preorder on BestBuy.ca, so someone else could took my preorder spot.

Too busy to go reddit.... We have another batch of PS4 shipments coming either late tonight or early early tomorrow morning... Got to prepare some documents and organize the logistics..

The stocks should be shipped to individual retail stores sometime this Friday... Most BB/FS/EB/WM etc should get the PS4 stocks in their store warehouse this coming Monday...

People who preordered the PS4 IN STORES have the console on launch guaranteed.

At the moment, I am afraid to try it as it is not official update... Might have been modified... Sony has then pulled the update from their website...

If I was a PS4 hacker, then I would definitely be curious to try the update, but I am just a consumer like everyone else... For now, I will just play some Killzone and Knack until the official launch of the PS4 and V1.5 update in less than 2 weeks.

Sony Playstation 4 Pre-order Thread - $399 - 11/15/2013 - Page 472 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
UI is VERY SMOOTH even on FW v1.00
Responsive just like the old XMB but faster.

Game loading is a bit slow the first time you load a new game... After installing data in the background, game loads up much faster initially and between levels... (Killzone SF installs almost all the game data on the PS4 HDD, but it does it in the background while the game is running. The initial background installation while running Killzone does have some slight slowdowns here and there on, but nothing too bothersome.)

*** I am thinking of trying to install a SSD on my PS4 to speed up the loading times even more... I will wait until v1.50 update is installed...

Dualshock 4 charging while the system is off is working on FW v1.00

Sony Playstation 4 Pre-order Thread - $399 - 11/15/2013 - Page 473 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
No, there will definitely be a box outside of the box...

I unboxed the PS4 earlier today, and inside the actual PS4 console does NOT have ANY of those cardboard pads that they had with the PS3, instead just thin paper cardboard holding it in place.

At least inside the PS4 box, all the accessories are nicely divided

It is literally the console wrapped with a thin layer of clear plastic that is streamlined fitted in the slim box. Also the cardboard used for the PS4 box is thinner than my PS3 Slim 160GB box.

The shippers have to box the console box before shipping to avoid damage as there is almost no padding inside the PS4 box.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I made a prediction a few months ago, before a lot of new details were out, that by the end of the generation it'd be 85 million to 75 million PS4:XBone. I'll revise that a bit.

December 31st of next year: 9-12 million PS4s solds, 3-5 million XBones. PS4 will have outsold XBone in the US by 30-40%.

End of the generation I think PS4 will now break 100 million units sold and the XBone will falter at ~60 million.

Feel free to quote this post.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Shoot not the messenger. Microsoft employee here.

Xbox Ones are now available to play in all of our Microsoft Store locations, both full line and specialty stores. We set them out on Tuesday morning, and they've been generating great interest and play-time since.

If you live near one of our stores (find one athttp://microsoftstore.com), feel free to stop on by and check out the game play experience. Not all launch titles are available for demo gameplay, but more titles and features will be opened up over the next couple weeks prior to launch.

Regarding all the "how much are you losing on Xbox" discussion - I can only point you to our financial statements -Microsoft Investor Relations- and our statements are fairly easy to grasp. Our Consumer Hardware division is making money, not losing.

Enjoy the consoles, both of them - competition is good. I'm not a fanboy but I am a deeply invested in our success employee.
Thanks for the link. There's a store near me (twelve oaks mall) that has it, but I don't see anything corroborating your statements about xbones being available to play there?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If XB1 outsells PS4 in the US in the first year can I get Sean banned?

I'll sweeten the deal: If the PS4 outsells XB1 by more than 25% in the first year you can ban me.
Gonna need Sean to offer an avatar bet on this one.

Fadaar

That guy
Got my PS4 controller from Amazon today. Loving the feel of it, though I'm not a fan of the L2/R2 buttons still way too much movement on them however I guess you can always use the bumpers for shooting. Assuming games aren't stupid and give you good control schemes or the ability to custom map buttons (fat chance but one can hope). Would rate it slightly above the Xbox 360 controller, but infinitely better than anything else the Playstation has ever had.