The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I've been a hardcore gamer pretty much all my life, and I can say with a good degree of confidence that I have zero desire to pick up either the PS4 or the XBone. I got a tremendous amount of play out of my PS3, but unfortunately Steam has spoiled me to the point where I find very little reason to go back to playing consoles. If I can get a technically superior version of a game for a fraction of the price and the convenience of using the same machine I surf the net with, what's the point of consoles? The PC compatible Xbox 360 controller works great so I'm not sacrificing control, and even though I've generally only been buying games that were less than 5$, I've already got a large backlog of games that will take a huge amount of time to get through. Don't get me wrong, I think this is a fantastic time for video games in general, but I can't see consoles staying relevant all that much longer.

Szlia

The current generation had numerous recessions in various world economies to deal with and video games are a luxury item.
I had the chance to attend several press events during David Reeves' tenure as COO and then CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. The guy was not very knowledgeable about video game software or hardware, but he certainly knew his video game market so he gave very insightful talks about its morphology and evolution (that tended to bore most of my then colleagues who were very anxious to know how many cars would be available in the next Ridge Racer...). One of the many interesting things learned during these talks is that video games are like cigarettes and potatoes: not affected by recessions (possibly even affected positively, I don't remember exactly). The explanation being that when things are glum, escapist entertainment remains high in the priority list.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I had the chance to attend several press events during David Reeves' tenure as COO and then CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. The guy was not very knowledgeable about video game software or hardware, but he certainly knew his video game market so he gave very insightful talks about its morphology and evolution (that tended to bore most of my then colleagues who were very anxious to know how many cars would be available in the next Ridge Racer...). One of the many interesting things learned during these talks is that video games are like cigarettes and potatoes: not affected by recessions (possibly even affected positively, I don't remember exactly). The explanation being that when things are glum, escapist entertainment remains high in the priority list.
Yeah, had talks about this in college too. However, it relates more to things like buying movies, going to the cinema, tv subscriptions, games and such, items with fairly low entry costs. A $400-500 one time payment for a new console is a fairly high initial investment on a limited budget. So, while the recession might not have the biggest affect on sales of software titles, as seen in constant record breaking sales numbers, it can affect hardware sales, especially for a new console without backwards compatibility that requires even more money invested to take use of it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Got a PM from the butt - NeoGAF

Someone on Gaf reached out to CBOAT to see if he was going to release any more damning information. This was his response:

frnkly

if poepl hve stil cfonsireding xbon afte allWE no abut it, then onth!ng i say wil chadng theirn mindsz.

i gie what ican cosndirn my position. lot more shit i never talk baout cuz no prof and to epxlosive.
Frankly,
if people have still been considering xbone after all we know about it, then nothing I say will change their minds.
I give what I can considering my position. A lot more shit I never talk about because of no proof and too explosive.

...I wonder what else he has?

Szlia

The guy better be wary of the pixels in his PMs!

Droigan: it's a fair point and I don't remember if Reeves made that distinction in his talk. In the context of comparing PS4's potential with PS3's currently installed base, I am not sure it is relevant because of the cheaper revisions of the PS3, the black Friday deals, the bundles, etc that lowered the barrier of entry over time. In a better economy, I expect we'll see the same people buy a lot sooner, but not necessarily a lot more people buying overall.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
$400 isn't that expensive. It is one of the lower starting prices for a new console release.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
NOTE - Unrelated to anything PS4 or Xbox one -

Figured since so many are reading this thread, I'd sneak this in here. My PS3 is acting up it seems, for the past months it has been really slow installing things. Once installed, it plays games fine, no lag or anything, but the install of games or even trophy synching is VERY slow.

Installed a new HDD yesterday, 500 gigs, and downloaded roughly 150 gigs worth of games during the night. Even with a new HDD, it is very slow with installs. Have spent over an hour installing Dragons Dogma now which is only 13 gigs. For that matter, synching trophies before I swapped the HDD also took around an hour. Going to take me the rest of the day installing all the games at this rate.

It is the original 60 gig console. Are there any tricks to fixing this? I know you can open it up and apply new thermal paste, something I should probably do, but unsure how that would fix speed slowdowns.

Again, sorry to hijack thread with a PS3 issue
smile.png
Mine is slow as well. The thing is, usually with PS+ games that I download, it autoinstalls them each night when I'm sleeping, when it syncs with +. However, I manually installed Dragon's Dogma on Tuesday and it took upwards of an hour. I just watched TV while it does it. I don't think anything is wrong. I just think the OS/installations suck like that.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
$400 isn't that expensive. It is one of the lower starting prices for a new console release.
In terms of this specific economic theory it is. Been a few years since I had it in class, but the point is basically that even if your economy is bad, and getting worse, you will spend money on things that alleviates the tedium of being broke. Entertainment is one of those things. Even if you have a bad economy for several years in a row, you will keep up your "normal" routine of entertainment purchases, in terms of movies, games, etc. However, a new console is a large purchase, not really a part of the theory. For instance, if you favor movies and have a dvd player, while in a bad economic situation, you will keep buying/renting movies, but you will most likely not upgrade to a blu-ray player or get a new TV (people who take up credit to spend money they do not have is not a part of this theory).

400 dollars, while still on the low end of console entries, is still a big bump of any given month. It would not fall into your month to month purchases. This theory is rather about people who have certain spending habits budgeted per month, and how entertainment purchases will often still remain a large part of your budget even as it gets tighter. People are more likely to reduce their food intake/quality, change arbitrary things such as switching to a lower cost brand toilet paper, drive less, etc, than they are to remove their cable TV subscription. However, if they do not have a cable TV sub to begin with, they are not likely to get one. It is more about your current habits, and how entertainment can help with removing focus of being in a bad state, so it still remains a priority even as you get less money. Not being able to watch your weekly show would be a bigger "sadface, I am poor now" than not having steak every Sunday.

spronk

FPS noob
another one of those visual launch game comparison things, although the launch window thing seems kinda suspect, isn't Titanfall not due till like... summer 2014? ugh, I'm still so conflicted, its not the money of buying a ps4 its hooking up another box and having it sit around used maybe like 2 hours for the next 6 months that would make me feel dumb.

YoFVok8.jpg

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I love people who make predictions, they make for a good funny. Much like Nostradamus. Hell, if you read the sports section at all I make wild ass bets just like everyone in this thread who has said this or that. Who gives a fuck if I am having fun?

that being said,

I ordered a PS4 and can't wait for it to show up. I will just be getting back from a work assignment in Malaysia and nothing better than opening a brand new sparkly new fun time machine. Should arrive the day I land, not sure if I should sleep a bit(like 28 hour travel time overall) or just dig right in a sorta delusional state(I normally can not sleep on planes)

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm the type that can't sleep on planes either. There's a way to trick your body into it though.

Stay up the night that you're flying back home. Don't sleep at all for the few hours before the return flight. Then you'll be out cold on the return flight. Time travel, next thing you know, you'll be landing.
(I fly from between Japan & Chicago a bit. 14 hours in the air)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Lococycle just looks full on retarded, and are their any good RPGs coming anytime soon on either console? FF15 prly wont be out till 2015 or end of 2014.

spronk

FPS noob
Infograph there is missing some launch day digital games.
heres a different/updated/?? one, found out need for speed is gonna be on PC too so kinda narrows the list of PS4 games to buy at launch. Zumba chick has awesome abs though, +1 for xbox. List is also missing Injustice for PS4 (and PC).

if you are getting your ps4 delivered be sure to either make sure delivery signature is enabled or call UPS and have them hold it at the depot, I forsee a lot of sad people reporting consoles stolen from their doorstep if fedex/UPS fuck up. amazon will prob start shipping out on the 12th or 13th to make friday deliveries.

(spoilered for size)
nawJGNo.jpg

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm the type that can't sleep on planes either. There's a way to trick your body into it though.

Stay up the night that you're flying back home. Don't sleep at all for the few hours before the return flight. Then you'll be out cold on the return flight. Time travel, next thing you know, you'll be landing.
(I fly from between Japan & Chicago a bit. 14 hours in the air)
Yep, great advice, I pull all nighters all the time while travelling...

Just be careful not to pass out in the airport and miss a connection if you're not flying non-stop.